Hollywood star Elliot Page comes out as trans (deadname Ellen Page) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:40:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Hollywood star Elliot Page comes out as trans (deadname Ellen Page) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hollywood star Elliot Page comes out as trans (deadname Ellen Page)  (Read 2236 times)
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« on: December 02, 2020, 07:15:16 AM »

It's great to see more positive representation for my community, although can news outlets please stop referring to him using his deadname in the literal headlines? Like, I get it makes it a little less confusing, but it doesn't make it right.

huh I thought "Elliot Page" was this new actor, possibly with a family relation to Ellen.

Unlike actress Ruby Rose, who I know identifies as genderfluid and who at least publicly contemplated the possibility that she might undergo transition to male at some point in the future, yesterday's news about Elliot Page came as a bit of a surprise to me. (Case in point: If you go to Elliot Page's own newly renamed Instagram account you'll still find a posting from November 2 there, advertising an Instagram live event with "real life superheroes Ellen Page and Edafe Okporo".)

Insofar I find it totally okay, even necessary, to make some sort of reference to his deadname in news articles because that's the name he had made movies und TV shows under for the past 20 years. Otherwise people will certainly start to ask "huh, who is this??? what the hell is going on?". One could debate whether this reference should be made right in the headline or at some point in the article (I saw one news article in Germany which tried to somehow circumvent the issue by using the headline "Hollywood star Page comes out as transgender", omitting any first name). And obviously, it would weird, even inappropriate, if media news outlets still refer to him as "Elliot Page, the actor formerly known as Ellen Page" six months from now. The reference is only necessary as long as the fact that a gender/name change happened constitutes actual "news" in itself.

Anyway, I wish him well and all the best. Certainly also some form of milestone for the trans community to have a representative of such prominence in public life now.

especially for FtM who are far less represented in popular culture.
Elliot Page should not be deadnamed!!! Netflix has updated everything.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 03:11:47 PM »

He hated dresses and even said he wore “boys underwear”. I liked him in Umbrella Academy and not replacing him.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 03:12:37 PM »

huh I thought "Elliot Page" was this new actor, possibly with a family relation to Ellen.
They are the same person. Much like Anakin Skywalker and Darth Vader but minus the evil and the suit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies