Hollywood star Elliot Page comes out as trans (deadname Ellen Page) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:59:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Hollywood star Elliot Page comes out as trans (deadname Ellen Page) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hollywood star Elliot Page comes out as trans (deadname Ellen Page)  (Read 2240 times)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« on: December 04, 2020, 11:12:46 AM »

The deadnaming issue is a serious and not self-evidently solvable conflict between LGBT community etiquette and journalistic best practice. "Actor Elliot Page comes out as trans" is not going to be a meaningful headline to just about anybody because as far as the general public was concerned there was no "actor Elliot Page" before the last couple of days. Insisting that the media is obliged not to clarify that this is the person formerly known as Ellen Page is akin to when people insist that headlines are obliged to name random Malawian schoolgirls who build power generators.

Maybe a headline such as "Juno actor comes out as trans, introduces self as Elliot Page" would work, and then include his previous name in the body of the article? It's a little clickbaity, but it at least solves the problem of not including a deadname while still communicating that Elliot Page is the new name of an already known actor.

I agree that there's no great solution, though.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 08:54:20 PM »

... he said "latinx"...

I still love him. Nobody's perfect. The rest of the tweet is awesome.

I think it's forgivable to use "Latinx" in a specifically trans context, since the term is somewhat popular in that community. Although since he was specifically talking about women, it seems "Latina" would have sufficed.

And yeah, otherwise great statement. I love how he stuck it to the transphobes.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies