SENATE BILL: National Silver Alert Act (At Final Vote) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:45:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: National Silver Alert Act (At Final Vote) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: National Silver Alert Act (At Final Vote)  (Read 1121 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: December 01, 2020, 09:36:25 PM »

As of the introduction of this bill (and assuming there have been no regional statutes of similar nature), twenty eight states and Nyman1 have Silver Alert or similar programs targeting missing seniors. The Silver Alert, as its name would suggest, is the senior-equivalent of the AMBER Alert. Current data suggests that approximately six in ten dementia patients will wander off at least once, and if not found within 24 hours, up to half of wandering seniors with dementia suffer serious injury or death2.

Silver Alert programs have had very high success rates in states that implemented them3, and because these programs utilize existing Amber Alert infrastructure (which exists in all 50 states), associated costs are minimal.

In a time where the median age for Atlasians is steadily getting higher, it is necessary and well worth the small price to implement the creation of a nationwide senior protection plan.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Alert#National_growth
2. https://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/us/05search.html
3. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Alert#Retrieval_rate
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 06:39:44 PM »

I like the bill, but I do have concerns about the administrative follow through with this coordinator and such forth? Has there been discussion with the Attorney General in advance of this?

I have not discussed this with Truman, although I was planning to advocate for a regional counterpart to this bill in Frémont after passage. What are your specific concerns?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 08:29:42 PM »
« Edited: December 04, 2020, 12:15:53 AM by Senator Scott🍁 »

It's not really clear to me what standard the regions would need to meet to qualify for the $25 million in matching grants. Would it be sufficient for regions to establish a Silver Alert network and specify that they will follow the AG's recommendations?

Yes, and I'll amend the bill to clarify that. The $25 million would be allocated by the Justice Department based on need.

Quote from: Amendment
Section 5. Funding

(A) $25 million shall be available to the Department of Justice for the purpose of providing matching grants for regions and states to establish Silver Alert programs and necessary equipment purchases, such as electronic highway signs. Grants will only be given to regions that have established a Silver Alert plan and comply with the recommendations of the Justice Department.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 05:03:35 PM »

Seeing as this has unanimous support, I motion for a final vote.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2020, 03:11:17 PM »

Aye
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length