On summer polls....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 05:56:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2006 Elections
  2006 Senatorial Election Polls
  On summer polls....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: On summer polls....  (Read 3711 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2006, 01:32:59 PM »

Ha. Really. If some of you want to worship him as your polling god have fun with that. I'd rather not.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2006, 03:00:58 PM »

Ha. Really. If some of you want to worship him as your polling god have fun with that. I'd rather not.

While I do not always agree on him, he is very knowledgeable.  Where is your disagreement with what he is saying?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2006, 05:49:02 PM »

While I do not always agree on him, he is very knowledgeable.  Where is your disagreement with what he is saying?

I disagree with his idea that Mason-Dixon is the only polling outfit of any value during the summer.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2006, 05:51:53 PM »

The Vorlon is a total joke for claiming that political blogs are far to the right of the so called media.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2006, 09:32:45 PM »

I disagree with his idea that Mason-Dixon is the only polling outfit of any value during the summer.

Well, I suppose one could argue that no summer polls are worth anything, because voters have not necessarily decided in any meaningful way.  It's hard to tell how accurate polls are then, because comparing summer polls to the final right doesn't make sense either.  I do, however, think that Mason-Dixon's methodology makes for the most accurate summer polls - but we can't really tell, can we?

The Vorlon is a total joke for claiming that political blogs are far to the right of the so called media.

I don't agree with that, but I don't see what relevance that has to his polling knowledge, which is extensive.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2006, 07:57:15 AM »

Do you ever base your so-called disagreements on anything? I mean, other than wanting it to be a certain way?
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2006, 07:15:02 PM »

Do you ever base your so-called disagreements on anything? I mean, other than wanting it to be a certain way?

Yeah I base it on looking in trends in all polls instead of putting blind faith in in one organization because "everyone else oversamples democrats". How does Rasmussen over sample Democrats?
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2006, 06:31:38 AM »

Yeah I base it on looking in trends in all polls instead of putting blind faith in in one organization because "everyone else oversamples democrats". How does Rasmussen over sample Democrats?

So looking in trends in all polls is how you know what polls are good and what are bad? I'm not sure I understand that reasoning.

And I've never said that Rasmussen oversamples Democrats, so I'm not sure where you get that idea. Unlike Sam Spade I think Rasmussen is fairly good, but I still prefer better polls, such as M-D.

I have stated arguments as to why certain polls are not to be trusted or why summer polls are less reliable. But you're just stating that you disagree.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2006, 11:46:28 AM »

And I've never said that Rasmussen oversamples Democrats, so I'm not sure where you get that idea. Unlike Sam Spade I think Rasmussen is fairly good, but I still prefer better polls, such as M-D.

Just FTR, I think Rasmussen is a good, not great pollster generally.  He gets better as the election approaches, somewhat similar to SUSA, who uses similar polling techniques, especially when he starts doing daily tracking (pushing his one-day model in three-day polls, where it really should be).  If he goes to daily tracking this year on the big races in October, I will be the first to say, "Pay attention to this."

However, we only have a record of his polling during presidential election years, not midterms.  His state polling was extremely solid in 2000 and 2004 (in contrast to his national polling in 2000), but he pretty much sat out 2002.  I am curious to see if he stays with the one-day polling model in this mid-term election, because I will probably be a bit more cautious then due to the model used and the lack of prior results.

Just more food for thought.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies