SENATE CONFIRMATION: CraneHusband for Comptroller General (Final Vote)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:28:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE CONFIRMATION: CraneHusband for Comptroller General (Final Vote)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE CONFIRMATION: CraneHusband for Comptroller General (Final Vote)  (Read 1911 times)
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 28, 2020, 01:53:13 AM »
« edited: December 08, 2020, 12:44:25 AM by Ted Bessell »

Executive Order 005
I nominate CraneHusband to be the next Comptroller General.

We'll begin with a statement from the nominee. We will then proceed to questions from the Senate.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2020, 09:41:42 AM »

Thank you for the nomination. If confirmed I pledge to do my best to complete a fair financial assessment of all government legislation, regardless of political affiliation.
At-Large Senator LouisvilleThunder
LouisvilleThunder
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: 1.74

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 04:10:47 PM »

Do you have any related experience for this position?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 04:11:18 PM »

Congratations on the nomination CraneHusband.

A few questions to kick us off with...

1.) What do you see as your most important role as Comptroller?

2.) What are the first jobs/tasks you see yourself having?

3.) How do you see yourself working with the President & others in this role?
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 08:16:24 PM »

Do you have any related experience for this position?

None in Atlas government but I was previously in a position to craft budgets as a treasurer for a club in college.

Congratations on the nomination CraneHusband.

A few questions to kick us off with...

1.) What do you see as your most important role as Comptroller?

Crunching the numbers for the legislative body, which helps make the game go smoothly

2.) What are the first jobs/tasks you see yourself having?

Working with the new administration to analyze the financial data for new priorities in the House

3.) How do you see yourself working with the President & others in this role?

I would be an advisory position to the president and legislative body and keeping the books making sure the financial info lines up
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2020, 09:30:19 PM »

Both your predecessor and your predecessor's predecessor (it was called deputy GM then but the responsibilities remained the same) entered the job with experience and lots of promises of activity, then proceeded to fall inactive with time and leave the game scrambling.

Why should the Senate believe you'll be any different? What would keep you interested in actually doing this job despite any "writer's block" type effect?

Are there any real life or elsewhere online conflicts that would affect your ability to do this job, and if so, how do you plan to limit the affect of these conflicts?

If there is anyone who can attest to the nominee's activity, I would encourage them to come forward.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2020, 09:56:14 PM »

Both your predecessor and your predecessor's predecessor (it was called deputy GM then but the responsibilities remained the same) entered the job with experience and lots of promises of activity, then proceeded to fall inactive with time and leave the game scrambling.

Why should the Senate believe you'll be any different? What would keep you interested in actually doing this job despite any "writer's block" type effect?

Are there any real life or elsewhere online conflicts that would affect your ability to do this job, and if so, how do you plan to limit the affect of these conflicts?

If there is anyone who can attest to the nominee's activity, I would encourage them to come forward.

Good question. I understand your concern given the previous difficulties the game has experienced. While I've said from the outset that my commitment to the position isn't permanent, as long as I'm responsible for the game I will maintain the activity level needed to timely complete the tasks required of me. If I ever come to a place in my life where this is no longer possible, I will turn in my resignation and help the game make a transition for after my tenure.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2020, 11:59:01 PM »

The last time I recall it being discussed by Tack, the major hold up for the budget was legislative scoring, would it be possible to prioritize these bills to expedite the process since we are now on our second continuing resolution?

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2020, 02:58:31 AM »

The above comment is certainly true for the Lincoln Budget, and I am generally aware of similar issues with the Federal and at least per Truman's last public statement on the matter, the Fremont Budget. (the South runs on a different fiscal calendar thankfully)

I hope, if confirmed, that the nominee is able to commit to and follow through on spending copious amounts of time developing these budgets.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2020, 03:35:17 AM »

Has Blairite been officially dismissed? I can't see a resignation by him or any mention here of dismissing him, though I guess it's taken as a given because a replacement has been nominated.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2020, 03:38:19 AM »

Has Blairite been officially dismissed? I can't see a resignation by him or any mention here of dismissing him, though I guess it's taken as a given because a replacement has been nominated.

MB issued an executive order dismissing him upon the confirmation of his successor on the main white house thread.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2020, 03:39:33 AM »

MB issued an executive order dismissing him upon the confirmation of his successor on the main white house thread.

Oh I missed that, my bad. All good then.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2020, 04:26:41 AM »

For the record, in terms of the federal budget, there is only 1 bill left to score (admittedly a tough one, having to do with a relatively big social security overhaul)

Other than that, all bills are scored or can be "safely ignored" and then we'd just need to package everything up and introduce a budget in Congress, debating how to pay for everything. (tax increases, as long as we stick with not chaning brackets but just rates, should be a simple lineal extrapolation even if that is technically wrong).

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2020, 12:01:10 PM »

I recommend that the Senate vote against this unproven and untested nominee.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2020, 03:46:25 PM »

If I am not mistaken this would be your first position in Atlasia; indeed among your first posts.

Could you give me a brief recap of your experience in Atlasia so far?

Nothing wrong with a newbie getting this as their first job by the way (there is even a precedent of sorts with Thumb or Encke), just curious.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2020, 08:41:29 PM »

For the record, in terms of the federal budget, there is only 1 bill left to score (admittedly a tough one, having to do with a relatively big social security overhaul)

Other than that, all bills are scored or can be "safely ignored" and then we'd just need to package everything up and introduce a budget in Congress, debating how to pay for everything. (tax increases, as long as we stick with not chaning brackets but just rates, should be a simple lineal extrapolation even if that is technically wrong).

Didn't some of your scores need to be "approve"/"verified" by GM team?  I recall you saying this at some point.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix

P

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2020, 11:43:33 PM »

If I am not mistaken this would be your first position in Atlasia; indeed among your first posts.

Could you give me a brief recap of your experience in Atlasia so far?

Nothing wrong with a newbie getting this as their first job by the way (there is even a precedent of sorts with Thumb or Encke), just curious.

My experience in Atlasia has been primarily limited to voting and reading about the elections and party politics. I was first exposed to it from recruitment messages from members of various political parties and then I read up on it on the Atlas wiki. I've been looking to get more involved in the gamebuilding, it's a bit tough for somebody who isn't running for a position to be active in the game, which leads to accusations of "zombie voting."
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2020, 06:45:16 AM »

Didn't some of your scores need to be "approve"/"verified" by GM team?  I recall you saying this at some point.

They ideally should be approved or verified by the GM team, but at this point I think the best course of action is to just act unilaterally. The numbers are mostly reasonable anyways.
thumb21
YaBB God
Cyprus

Political Matrix
E: -4.42, S: 1.82

« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2020, 02:31:40 PM »

Are you gonna put your own name forward? The nominee has answered the questions put forward, has experience, and so long as he's willing to put in the effort, I don't see what your issue is.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2020, 03:01:56 PM »

Are you gonna put your own name forward? The nominee has answered the questions put forward, has experience, and so long as he's willing to put in the effort, I don't see what your issue is.
I am not putting my name forward because I would not have the time to do the duties of the position.

Given the previous failures in this position, it's my view that the Senate should only confirm someone who has previous in game experience or accomplishments.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2020, 08:26:38 PM »

I am not putting my name forward because I would not have the time to do the duties of the position.

Given the previous failures in this position, it's my view that the Senate should only confirm someone who has previous in game experience or accomplishments.

Then who exactly should MB have nominated? Virtually nobody wants this job.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2020, 03:14:41 AM »

Ted and Thumb are correct in this case and while I do sympathize with the Wulfric experience concern we have a long history of struggling to fill these important positions. Crane seems qualified based on RL experience and beyond that maybe it is something of a gamble activity wise but it is not like we lose anything here by taking a chance if the alternative is no literally no one taking the position.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2020, 09:05:17 AM »

This really is a thankless, less-than-glamorous position that entails no creative power on the part of the person holding it. It is the most mundane but also one of the most necessary cabinet posts. I see no reason not to believe that CraneHusband will do the job for so long as he is able.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2020, 09:14:49 AM »

Yeah, this is arguably the worst job in Atlasia; only Registrar General is comparable (but Peebs has done a great job at it)

Tbh a trend I've noticed (and which predates me joining Atlasia) is the cabinet being more and more useless over time so ironically this may be the strongest cabinet position. Certainly more so than AG or SoS
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2020, 11:09:06 AM »

Yeah, this is arguably the worst job in Atlasia; only Registrar General is comparable (but Peebs has done a great job at it)

Tbh a trend I've noticed (and which predates me joining Atlasia) is the cabinet being more and more useless over time so ironically this may be the strongest cabinet position. Certainly more so than AG or SoS

Cabinet responsibilities are less tangible and thus easy to be overlooked without the game itself being dependent on them, though obviously various aspects of the government side of things are dependent on them, which is what makes it a problem.  
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies