Ohio by precinct and municipality
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:45:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Ohio by precinct and municipality
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ohio by precinct and municipality  (Read 1674 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2020, 08:20:51 PM »

Ohio now has every precinct and even gives breakdown by municipality https://www.ohiosos.gov/elections/election-results-and-data/2020/ .  Pretty good and wish all states did this.  Feel free to check out and comment on anything interesting.  I know California gives results by municipality, but do any other states do this or do you have dig each one up individually?
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 08:31:08 PM »

Ohio now has every precinct and even gives breakdown by municipality https://www.ohiosos.gov/elections/election-results-and-data/2020/ .  Pretty good and wish all states did this.  Feel free to check out and comment on anything interesting.  I know California gives results by municipality, but do any other states do this or do you have dig each one up individually?

Pretty much all States in New England...

Off-hand I'm thinking Wisconsin also does, but haven't looked at the numbers out there for a bit.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 08:39:14 PM »

New Jersey is pretty easy to find too.  And yes you are right New England states do, in fact they do by that only.  Easier to do in Eastern US than South and West as in latter two you have a lot of unincorporated areas.  Could be wrong, but aren't a lot unincorporated as people want to pay lower property taxes and so its a way to avoid paying municipal property taxes and only have to pay for state and county as I believe in South and West property taxes are quite high.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 08:41:43 PM »

To add to that point---

Generally States where Townships are a subcomponent of Local Government are pretty good about coding their precincts by City Name, so for example it makes it relatively easy in States like PA, IN, IL, IA, (Or as I just did on another thread OH) etc... to crunch Municipal numbers because of how they code precincts, rather than having to delve through County Precinct Maps, Cross-matching against Mayoral / City Council recent elections, etc...
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 11:23:42 PM »

In Cuyahoga County, Trump won following:

Brecksville (almost semi-rural on south end)
Broadview Heights (also south end, WWC)
Brook Park (south end, WWC)
Highland Heights (southeast end)
Independence (south end WWC)
Middleburg Heights (south end WWC)
North Royalton (south end WWC)
Parma (south end WWC)
Seven Hills (south end WWC)
Strongsville (south end WWC)
Brooklyn Heights (south end WWC)
Hunting Valley (South end largely rural)
Olmsted Township (West end more affluent only one Trump held)
Gates Hills (southeast, semi-rural)
Valley View (south end semi-rural)
Walton Hills (south end semi-rural)
Cuyahoga Heights (south end WWC)

Be interested in how it went in 2012.  My understanding is Romney won much of West end which went for Biden, but much of south end which went for Trump voted for Obama.  In fact I would venture to guess very few municipalities in Cuyahoga County have voted GOP in all of last four elections.  Most that went for Romney have swung Democrat, while most current GOP went for Obama
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 11:25:29 PM »
« Edited: November 27, 2020, 11:52:50 PM by lfromnj »

Hunting Valley is exurban ultra rich areas by the way. It is also on the east side.It just looks rural because all the mansions are hidden behind the tree line in Google maps.  It was Romney +50 !. It also has a precinct in the neighboring county Geagua.

It was +4 Trump this year if you include both counties.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 11:44:00 PM »

Gates Mills, not Hills. Very wealthy, same with Hunting Valley.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 11:53:09 PM »

Hunting Valley is exurban ultra rich areas by the way. It is also on the east side.It just looks rural because all the mansions are hidden behind the tree line in Google maps.  It was Romney +50 !. It also has a precinct in the neighboring county Geagua.

What was the 2020 numbers?
 I can't find it on the excel sheet, it only has the congressional precincts for hunting valley?

Link to the Ohio Precinct Sheet:

https://www.ohiosos.gov/elections/election-results-and-data/2020/

Here is a screengrab from the 2020 Official website, including the precinct coding:

Hunting Valley- 2020:

Biden:   212  (49.2%)          +0.7% Trump    (+13.1% DEM SWING '16 > '20)
Trump:  215  (49.9%)
Misc:       4
Total:    431                         +8.0% TV Increase '16 > '20

Hunting Valley- 2016:

HRC:     162  (40.6%)          +14.0% Trump
Trump:  218  (54.6%)
Misc:       19
Total:    399
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 11:56:55 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2020, 12:08:49 AM by lfromnj »

Yeah I found it. There is also a precint in Geauga that was 49 biden and 60 trump.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2020, 12:43:09 AM »

Noticed south side of Franklin County went heavily for Trump, while Biden dominated north side, is there a reason for this?  I am guessing south end is more white working class while north end more upper middle class college educated types?  Would that be correct?
cvparty
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2020, 01:02:02 AM »

Noticed south side of Franklin County went heavily for Trump, while Biden dominated north side, is there a reason for this?  I am guessing south end is more white working class while north end more upper middle class college educated types?  Would that be correct?
yeah the south end of the county is really just exurban and rural, but north county is wealthy, dense and spills into delaware county
Xeuma
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: 0.00

P
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2020, 01:11:29 AM »

I try to minimize my time spent in Columbus, but from what I've seen just driving around for work, south Franklin County is pretty rural with a few small towns.
CityByTheValley
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -4.96

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 02:03:56 AM »

I don't know how Hillary Clinton did in 2016 in these areas, but Joe Biden won a number of the wealthiest places in Ohio. I'm probably going to make a separate thread of this just so we can keep track of how the wealthy vote shifted again in a bunch of places. Anyways, Bloomberg mentioned on their 100 Richest list that the qualifier this year was $220k+ mean household income (MHI), but they removed places with less than 2,000 households so I did a little digging to find and download the data they used (I'm not paying for personal use of Terminal lol). The only ones I can see on their big list are Indian Hill, Pepper Pike, and New Albany so I guess we have a good representation of each of the three Cs but I'll include places between these three just to add some more information, although these other towns will be smaller.

Going from wealthiest to least wealthy (comparatively):

Hunting Valley with an MHI of $448k -- Cleveland suburb
Biden 261 - Trump 275 (48.7 - 51.3, R +2.6)

The Village of Indian Hill with an MHI of $318k -- Cincinnati suburb
Biden 1,911 - Trump 2,431 (44.0 - 56.0, R +12.0)

Bentleyville with an MHI of $318k -- Cleveland suburb
Biden 336 - Trump 295 (53.2 - 46.8, D +6.4)

Coldstream (no vote data since it's a CDP within a township) with an MHI of $281k -- Cincinnati suburb
Anderson Twp. which it is contained within voted Biden 13,208 - Trump 14,808 (47.1 - 52.9, R +5.Cool

Pepper Pike with an MHI of $267k -- Cleveland suburb
Biden 3,166 - Trump 1,434 (68.8 - 31.2, D +37.6)

New Albany with an MHI of $265k -- Columbus suburb
Biden 3,607 - Trump 2,996 (54.6 - 45.4, D +9.2)

These areas generally follow the conventional Northeast to Southwest order of liberal to conservative for the larger three towns while the other two are practically 50/50 given how small they are. I'd be interested in seeing the Clinton numbers and especially the Obama '12 ones.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 02:58:01 AM »

I don't know how Hillary Clinton did in 2016 in these areas, but Joe Biden won a number of the wealthiest places in Ohio. I'm probably going to make a separate thread of this just so we can keep track of how the wealthy vote shifted again in a bunch of places. Anyways, Bloomberg mentioned on their 100 Richest list that the qualifier this year was $220k+ mean household income (MHI), but they removed places with less than 2,000 households so I did a little digging to find and download the data they used (I'm not paying for personal use of Terminal lol). The only ones I can see on their big list are Indian Hill, Pepper Pike, and New Albany so I guess we have a good representation of each of the three Cs but I'll include places between these three just to add some more information, although these other towns will be smaller.

Going from wealthiest to least wealthy (comparatively):

Hunting Valley with an MHI of $448k -- Cleveland suburb
Biden 261 - Trump 275 (48.7 - 51.3, R +2.6)

The Village of Indian Hill with an MHI of $318k -- Cincinnati suburb
Biden 1,911 - Trump 2,431 (44.0 - 56.0, R +12.0)

Bentleyville with an MHI of $318k -- Cleveland suburb
Biden 336 - Trump 295 (53.2 - 46.8, D +6.4)

Coldstream (no vote data since it's a CDP within a township) with an MHI of $281k -- Cincinnati suburb
Anderson Twp. which it is contained within voted Biden 13,208 - Trump 14,808 (47.1 - 52.9, R +5.Cool

Pepper Pike with an MHI of $267k -- Cleveland suburb
Biden 3,166 - Trump 1,434 (68.8 - 31.2, D +37.6)

New Albany with an MHI of $265k -- Columbus suburb
Biden 3,607 - Trump 2,996 (54.6 - 45.4, D +9.2)

These areas generally follow the conventional Northeast to Southwest order of liberal to conservative for the larger three towns while the other two are practically 50/50 given how small they are. I'd be interested in seeing the Clinton numbers and especially the Obama '12 ones.

Welcome to the Forum!!!

There was a similar thread back in '16 about the "Wealthiest Cities / Towns which Swung DEM for PRES"

Def worthy of a 2020 revisit... Wink

I have been thing about creating a similar thread now that 2020 Precinct results are rolling in...  Smiley

https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=259050.0

mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2020, 03:24:22 AM »

Looks like west parts of Hamilton county went massively Trump, somewhere in the 70s which is unusually high for suburban areas.  Yes they are semi-rural but still seems rather high, any reason why?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 03:31:40 AM »

Looks like west parts of Hamilton county went massively Trump, somewhere in the 70s which is unusually high for suburban areas.  Yes they are semi-rural but still seems rather high, any reason why?

White flight of german catholics from Cinci, but yes they are incredibly Republican for such an area. Hamilton is 4 parts
First is Cinci
2nd is diversifying burbs in the north
3rd is White college burbs in the east.
Last is the exurbs in the west.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 03:50:56 AM »

White flight of german catholics from Cinci, but yes they are incredibly Republican for such an area. Hamilton is 4 parts
First is Cinci

Even in southern cities like Atlanta and Dallas, you only get GOP getting those kind of numbers on the very periphery of the metro area, not any suburbs anywhere near city.  Even the heavily white suburbs in Atlanta that are close to city either voted for Biden or at best just barely for Trump, not 70% for Trump.  Trump did get that in the more far flung ones which are more exurban than suburban.
iceman
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2020, 04:33:15 AM »

will they also make an ohio map in atlas like michigan and minnesota? i believe ohio didn't have a map in 2016.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2020, 03:20:31 PM »

Another interesting fact about Ohio this year is that Franklin County cast more votes than Cuyahoga for the first time in a presidential election. From what I could find, the first time it ever happened was in the 2018 midterms by the slimmest of margins. It was always inevitable with population trends in the state, but it's quite the change from the past.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2020, 05:02:55 PM »

First is Cinci

Isn't there also a significant population of those of Appalachian decent in parts of Hamilton County, as well as even some neighborhoods within the Cinci?

It's been a few decades since I lived in SW OH, but I recall that being part of the social and political fabric of the region.

The City of Cinci even passed a law banning discrimination against people of Appalachian Heritage some time back.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2020, 01:01:53 AM »

Bingo.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2020, 01:04:38 AM »

First is Cinci

Isn't there also a significant population of those of Appalachian decent in parts of Hamilton County, as well as even some neighborhoods within the Cinci?

It's been a few decades since I lived in SW OH, but I recall that being part of the social and political fabric of the region.

Dead right.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2020, 08:50:54 PM »

It seems in some blue collar areas like Mahoning, Trumbull, Ashtabula and other communities in eastern part and Lake Erie shores saw over a 20% swing?  Is this a trend that was inevitable, was Obama better suited than Biden or Clinton?  Or were McCain and Romney bad fits for Ohio while Trump a better fit?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2020, 09:06:00 PM »

Mccain wasn't a bad fit, but yes Mitt Romney was an awful fit for working class whites.  His peak specialty was winning rich white people Tongue
Sailor Haumea
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2021, 04:00:53 PM »

Where do you see breakdowns by municipality? I see precinct results that have township results, but I don't see city results.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies