How do you fix America's noxious race relations?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:35:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  How do you fix America's noxious race relations?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: How do you fix America's noxious race relations?  (Read 1920 times)
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2020, 08:14:49 PM »

How can you end racism then? I am sick of it.

More laws, more mixing of the races, a strengthening of the civil rights laws?

Perhaps if we had more knowledge of the laws, rather than having more laws, we could do more to wipe out people's attitudes. If we had more education about the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment, and how the SCOTUS has interpreted it, and the other civil rights laws, perhaps that would teach more people the moral lesson about how racism is unacceptable.

Even with knowledge, could that change someone who wants to live in an all-white suburb, has no Black friends or no black acquaintances, etc.?
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2020, 12:16:28 AM »

Perhaps if we had more knowledge of the laws, rather than having more laws, we could do more to wipe out people's attitudes. If we had more education about the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment, and how the SCOTUS has interpreted it, and the other civil rights laws, perhaps that would teach more people the moral lesson about how racism is unacceptable.

Even with knowledge, could that change someone who wants to live in an all-white suburb, has no Black friends or no black acquaintances, etc.?

Yes, knowledge of the law can prevent someone from thinking that, once they move into an all-white neighborhood, they might be able to do something to make sure it stays that way.
I don't know what "race relations" has to do with someone who is determined to never have any black acquaintances. I doubt we can make a law that prevents someone from doing that, but I also doubt that any POC ever think to themselves that their rights are being violated by the existence of someone who avoids making acquaintance with them.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2020, 06:22:23 PM »

Yes, knowledge of the law can prevent someone from thinking that, once they move into an all-white neighborhood, they might be able to do something to make sure it stays that way.
I don't know what "race relations" has to do with someone who is determined to never have any black acquaintances. I doubt we can make a law that prevents someone from doing that, but I also doubt that any POC ever think to themselves that their rights are being violated by the existence of someone who avoids making acquaintance with them.

But that person can refuse to speak to Black people or Latino people if they don't like them, or don't want to be near them in stores, parking lots, etc.

People like to associate with people who look like them.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies