Will partisanship be more extreme or less extreme than it was in 2020 in the 2022 elections?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:25:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Will partisanship be more extreme or less extreme than it was in 2020 in the 2022 elections?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will partisanship be more extreme or less extreme than it was in 2020 in 2022?
More

Less

Simillar

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 20

Author Topic: Will partisanship be more extreme or less extreme than it was in 2020 in the 2022 elections?  (Read 342 times)
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2020, 10:09:15 PM »

For the past several cycles, partisanship has become a bigger and bigger factor in determining the outcome of down ballot races, particularly on the federal level. This cycle, it was particularly noticeable, especially in the senate; outside Maine, overperformances from "strong" canidates were underwhelming. We saw a simillar situation in the House. Many Democrats from Trump districts lost, and Democrats only flip was in a district Biden won (alongside the 2 NC default flips).

Some argue that Joe Biden brings a message of unity, and will help to decrease political tensions between the parties; yes, partisanship will still be very relevant in 2022, but people may feel more comfortable voting for someone of the other party if Joe Biden isn't as offensive as a President. This election was a breaking point because it was for the most part a binary choice; keep Trump or get rid of him, and down ballot canidates were just part of the package of that choice. This election was also higher turnout, which meant a lot of straight ticket lower propensity voters.

Others argue that partisanship and polarization has become too engrained in our nature, current trends will continue, and 2022 will be a binary decision on whether one supports Joe Biden or not. Especially if Republicans maintain their senate majority by winning at least 1 GA runoff, gridlock will only make people on all sides more and more fed up, and people will blame who they want to blame.

In my view, this sort of partisanship is dangerous. Instead of having people who work in the best interests of the state or district they represent, people vote for someone who is just a vote for a majority of certain ideologies. Remember when both parties had pretty extensive tail ends? This escalates in cycles of less split-ticket voting, causing less "swing senators or representatives", causing less split ticket voting, and so on. The Senate, and especially the House, the body set up to represent people, actually need to do their job in representing the people; most people want results, not political in-fighting. I'm sure all of us on this forum have our own beliefs on who caused this to be a problem in the first place, but I think that regardless of who you blame, we can all agree it's a problem that needs to be fixed.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 10:16:30 PM »

It will be just as partisan.  Dem districts and states will vote for Dems while Republican districts and states will vote for Republicans.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 10:33:08 PM »

Rs are the favorutes to win 2022, but as I stated before, we have now the Vaccine, and now if Biden wins and things return to normal by 2022/ Rs can kiss their chances if a takeover, goodbye.

That's why if D's take control of Senate, only if, they must past DC or PR Statehood as wave insurance 🌊🌊 for 2022/ I don't trust our sliim Majority to hold in 2022 and Manchin can change his mind on Filibuster reform by applying the filibuster to certain laws, not a universal Filibuster ban
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 10:38:12 PM »

I'll argue that 2018 was less partisan than 2016. However 2020 felt more partisan than 2018. So I would argue perhaps more partisan than 2018 but less so than 2020
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2020, 10:40:53 PM »

I'll argue that 2018 was less partisan than 2016. However 2020 felt more partisan than 2018. So I would argue perhaps more partisan than 2018 but less so than 2020

I would have to agree; generally off years have a higher share of more reliable/engaged voters in the electorate, who may be more willing to split ticket for someone they like even if they were of the opposing party. With that being said, if Rs had taken WV and MT more seriously, they prolly could've won both.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2020, 11:51:56 PM »

Well, partisanship is ALREADY extreme, so it simply can't be SUBSTANTIALLY bigger in 2022. On the other side - it went up and up almost every election since, probably, 1978 or 1980, so - no reasons to expect sudden reversal. Similar or slightly bigger (though it's an absurd), probably...
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 04:42:45 AM »

A bit less extreme because midterms electorates are generally more prone to ticket splitting.

Also it's doubtful Biden will be able to ''unite'' the country, it's more a campaign slogan than anything else and even if he genuinely wanted it, it would be difficult
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies