Wives of King Henry VIII
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:37:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Wives of King Henry VIII
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who is your favorite wife of King Henry VIII
Catherine of Aragon

Anne Boleyn

Jane Seymour

Anne of Cleves

Catherine Howard

Catherine Parr

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 12

Author Topic: Wives of King Henry VIII  (Read 449 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 18, 2021, 01:57:07 PM »

Who is your favorite wife of King Henry VIII?

Please vote and discuss.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 02:24:38 PM »

Anne of Cleves because Thomas Cromwell chose her.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2021, 03:35:58 PM »

Jane Seymour, because she was great in Live & Let Die.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 05:08:05 PM »

Anne of Cleves did absolutely nothing (including: not even had sex with Henry) and was granted a sh**tload of real estate. That's some genius.

Also, the less-than-ideal way in which her marriage turned was the final spark for the downfall of Thomas Cromwell. HAHAHAHA HenryWallaceVP pwned.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2021, 05:43:06 PM »

Voted Catherine of Aragon, but I have a favorable opinion of Jane Seymour and Anne of Cleves (particularly the latter). Don't particularly care about Howard or Parr, and the less said about Boleyn the better.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2021, 10:46:30 PM »

Anne of Cleves did absolutely nothing (including: not even had sex with Henry) and was granted a sh**tload of real estate. That's some genius.

Also, the less-than-ideal way in which her marriage turned was the final spark for the downfall of Thomas Cromwell. HAHAHAHA HenryWallaceVP pwned.

Maybe I should've voted for Anne Boleyn, as without her England would have remained clouded in popery and superstition. Plus, she didn't cost Thomas his head but rather the other way around. She was also a fascinating, highly intelligent and cunning figure in her own right, and as The_Doctor points out she gave us Good Queen Bess.

I'm very aware of what happened to Cromwell as a result of the Cleves marriage, yes. The third book in Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall trilogy, last year's The Mirror and the Light, is all about Thomas's tragic downfall. A terrific book and series by the way, which I'd highly recommend reading. I think you might actually like Thomas if you got to know him a little better. He was extremely fond of Italy and Italian culture, and the years he spent there as a young man deeply impacted him for the rest of his life.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2021, 11:43:45 PM »

Anne of Cleves got rewarded with a massive pension for not being attractive. In a Renaissance court, that takes talent.

Maybe I should've voted for Anne Boleyn, as without her England would have remained clouded in popery and superstition. Plus, she didn't cost Thomas his head but rather the other way around. She was also a fascinating, highly intelligent and cunning figure in her own right, and as The_Doctor points out she gave us Good Queen Bess.

I'm very aware of what happened to Cromwell as a result of the Cleves marriage, yes. The third book in Hilary Mantel's Wolf Hall trilogy, last year's The Mirror and the Light, is all about Thomas's tragic downfall. A terrific book and series by the way, which I'd highly recommend reading. I think you might actually like Thomas if you got to know him a little better. He was extremely fond of Italy and Italian culture, and the years he spent there as a young man deeply impacted him for the rest of his life.

There's a lot to admire about Thomas Cromwell once you get past, well, the obvious, but Battista Minola relying on Hilary Mantel to present that to him would be a little like relying on you to do so.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2021, 05:37:06 AM »

Yes, that would have been much more in character for a heretic like you. Smiley

I don't doubt it, I think a lot of wealthy English people in that era were pretty fond of Italy and Italian culture. There is something slightly creepy in you repeatedly calling him by first name though.

There's a lot to admire about Thomas Cromwell once you get past, well, the obvious, but Battista Minola relying on Hilary Mantel to present that to him would be a little like relying on you to do so.

Hahahaha funnily my mother actually owns and has read Mantel's Bring Up the Bodies.
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2021, 07:04:44 AM »

I like Jane Seymour, who I feel sorry for dying in childbirth after finally giving Henry a son, and Catherine Parr, who was actually a competent stateswoman.
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 11:43:08 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2021, 01:48:25 PM by HenryWallaceVP »

I don't doubt it, I think a lot of wealthy English people in that era were pretty fond of Italy and Italian culture. There is something slightly creepy in you repeatedly calling him by first name though.

It was different for Thomas Cromwell. He, Cromwell, was the son of a blacksmith in Putney, not a wealthy man at all, and his humble background led him to leave home as a teenager to become a mercenary in Italy. After surviving the Battle of Garigliano in the service of France, he was picked up off the streets by the Frescobaldi and brought into their counting house, where he learned the ways of the world. These formative years in Italy made him the man he would later become, a man as Italian as he was English in his political acumen, financial skill, artistic sensibilities, and even his Protestantism. This article gives a good sense of just how Italian he, Cromwell, really was:

https://www.historyextra.com/period/tudor/thomas-cromwell-the-best-italian-in-all-england/
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2021, 11:08:31 AM »

It was different for Thomas Cromwell. He, Cromwell, was the son of a blacksmith in Putney, not a wealthy man at all, and his humble background led him to leave home as a teenager to become a mercenary in Italy. After surviving the Battle of Garigliano in the service of France, he was picked up off the streets by the Frescobaldi and brought into their counting house, where he learned the ways of the world. These formative years in Italy made him the man he would later become, a man as Italian as he was English in his political acumen, financial skill, artistic sensibilities, and even his Protestantism. This article gives a good sense of just how Italian he, Cromwell, really was:

https://www.historyextra.com/period/tudor/thomas-cromwell-the-best-italian-in-all-england/

That's very interesting and admirable. Still, the idea that we nurtured the architect of the English Reformation is yucky. Tongue
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 12:10:06 PM »
« Edited: February 21, 2021, 12:15:18 PM by L.D. Smith »

Voted Catherine of Aragon, but I have a favorable opinion of Jane Seymour and Anne of Cleves (particularly the latter). Don't particularly care about Howard or Parr, and the less said about Boleyn the better.

Someone's read too much The Other Boleyn Girl clearly.

That said, my vote goes to Seymour. I'd like to think England would've been a merrier place if she had lived. She was the most pleasant and had the least baggage afaik.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies