New electoral vote calculator (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:36:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  New electoral vote calculator (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New electoral vote calculator  (Read 43711 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« on: November 26, 2020, 07:26:15 PM »

This is beautiful! Truly a Thanksgiving miracle.

That said, on behalf of the Supreme Pontiff His Holiness Kalwejt I, I must inform you all that use of any but the One True Color Scheme is heresy, and all who will not confess their sins and repent will be burned alive at the stake.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2021, 04:42:46 PM »

I'm late, but these updates are amazing, and even more amazing to me is that there was actual news in the "News" banner!

Also, getting Maine's borders right pre-Webster–Ashburton! Cheesy
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2021, 10:08:31 PM »

Can we add faithless electors in the maps
IIRC Virginia said she was working on it as part of the new update that will also include the pre-1836 maps.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 07:14:13 PM »

270towin style is more convenient if you don't have to worry about percentile shading. If you do it's a pain.
Agreed. The option to have percentile shadings are what currently make Atlas' map generator superior to other options on the market, so I hope the "radio buttons" stick around in some form. (270toWin's drop-down menu is actually more inconvenient IMO, but maybe I'm alone in that opinion —and ofc I don't know how the addition of new features complicates things.)
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2021, 11:48:48 PM »

This looks great! Truly impressive work.

I noticed a couple very minor mistakes in the current version of the EVC recently. It's not a big deal if it would be too great an inconvenience to correct, since one can just correct them manually, but on the other hand if it is relatively easy to fix I thought I would bring it up:

(1) The Republican candidate in 1884 is given as Benjamin Harrison; it should be James G. Blaine.

(2) James G. Birney is listed as an Independent in 1840 and 44; the "Liberty Party" is correct for both years.

(3) Martin Van Buren should be listed as the incumbent in 1840, but currently isn't.

Again, very minor so don't inconvenience yourself, but thought this might be an opportune moment.

For states (like NC in 1804) where we are missing pv totals, will it be possible to change the % shading using the calculator? Though I guess one could easily just manually change the embed code if not.

Again, cannot stress enough how good this looks!
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2021, 09:34:08 PM »

For states (like NC in 1804) where we are missing pv totals, will it be possible to change the % shading using the calculator? Though I guess one could easily just manually change the embed code if not.

So once I got home and checked and I had it set as No Vote, so it wasn't toggeable. I really should let people fill that in as they wish, though.

I've struggled with how to show states where there is either (a) no popular vote data available or (b) no popular vote held, because showing a color lighter than 30% is just...too light and especially for older elections, makes the map look bad. I settled on rendering states with no popular vote using the 40% shade, which is fairly light but not too much. I feel like maybe there should be a distinction between no vote data available and simply no pop vote held. Thoughts?

Using 40% for states with no popular vote works fine. (I always thought the 20% shade used by the old EVC looked bad and was also hard to distinguish from the 30% shade. This looks much better.) The pre-1824 elections were all two-horse races, so there should be no need to use the 40% shade otherwise.

For states with missing pv data, maybe the "flipped" hatching could be used? Not sure. I also wonder how often people making alternate history maps would elect to use a "missing data" option, but I agree they should probably be visually distinct from the "no vote" states. (I guess you could always just have those states set at 50% on the default map if you don't want to add a separate toggle option.)
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies