New electoral vote calculator
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:48:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  New electoral vote calculator
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
Author Topic: New electoral vote calculator  (Read 43424 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2020, 06:16:27 PM »

Meant to do just a small feature update for adding custom labels but somehow have gotten roped into much more in trying to add pre-1840 elections. I think I see why Dave didn't do those years. It's a lot of work to actually get it right. Electoral votes in that time period start getting assigned in all sorts of ways the further you go back, with the common thread being that the winner of the state does not always get all the EVs. So now I'm basically adding faithless electoral vote support way ahead of schedule so as to support pre-1840 maps.

On a side note, would anyone be interested in extending the territory maps on Wikipedia? It's SVG format, and most of the territories are done, but as you can see in pre-1840 maps, since the states are all on the eastern US, the original map authors didn't draw the full territories (they just cut off arbitrarily). I'd like to incorporate these territories at some point, but I would need the full territory paths across the entire US, and not just portions of them, making sure to properly label each territory in the element attribute(s).

If you're interested, the easist way to contribute would be to just complete the maps on Wikipedia for elections prior to 1844. The goal would be something like this.

I could try doing some maps in QGIS but I'm not sure how well I can match the design to what's on wikipedia.

What is the objective?

Do you (Virginia) want maps with the modern territorial extent of the United States? Should such maps include PR, VI, GU, AS, and MP? In this case there could be an inset map of PR and VI in the Gulf of Mexico or on top of the Bahamas, along with a box for VI, and boxes for MP, GU, and AS.

For each year, there would be the boundaries as they existed at that time. Areas outside the US at a particular election (e.g. Gadsden Purchase, Alaska and Hawaii) could be assigned to a quasi territory which the Atlas App could include or exclude as appropriate. These maps could then be used as the basis for presidential and congressional (including delegate) maps, and other elections.

The underlying code could then be paired with other series of maps (county maps) along with associated data; or even other countries. And if the design is sufficiently generalized even custom maps could be used.

I assume what happened with Wikipedia was that a map of indefinite extent was created and then windowed to an area of interest for which the .svg file was created.

It might be easier to recreate the original map, rather than rely on the Wikipedia version (or obtain the underlying map for the Wikipedia map). I'm assuming that if I were to create a .svg map showing the modern territorial extent for the USA for the 1788/9 election, that my edit would be countermanded by someone who preferred the contemporary extent.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2021, 02:34:22 PM »

Shouldn't the shadings of Pennsylvania and New York change to 50% and 60%, respectively? Joe Biden won 50.01% in Pennsylvania and over 60% in New York, according to Wikipedia.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2021, 04:01:11 PM »

What is the objective?

Do you (Virginia) want maps with the modern territorial extent of the United States? Should such maps include PR, VI, GU, AS, and MP? In this case there could be an inset map of PR and VI in the Gulf of Mexico or on top of the Bahamas, along with a box for VI, and boxes for MP, GU, and AS.

Just a basic recreation of the state and territory map of the continental US. Adding places like VI/GU/etc is a bit much for the scope of this project.

To reduce data size, it would be preferable to have as few territorial changes as possible while still reflecting the general lay of the land. In other words, if there were minor changes to a territory between two elections, it doesn't necessarily have to be implemented.

It might be easier to recreate the original map, rather than rely on the Wikipedia version (or obtain the underlying map for the Wikipedia map). I'm assuming that if I were to create a .svg map showing the modern territorial extent for the USA for the 1788/9 election, that my edit would be countermanded by someone who preferred the contemporary extent.

Thinking about it more, probably - yes. Posting the map here would be fine then too.

I don't think this effort serves a whole lot of purpose other than filling out the map generator for aesthetics. I think it's probably rare that users even use those presidential years for their maps. Nevertheless, it would be nice to have, so if anyone is ever bored and wants to do it, I'll integrate it so long as it fits the exact boundaries/specs of the map currently in use by the calculator (in other words, I need to be able to just add the territory paths to the paths array and have it just 'fit' into the map without adjusting other regions).
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2021, 04:01:54 PM »

I'll adjust the winning percentages when I do the next update. Just been busy lately, and rather unmotivated when I do have some free time for this.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2021, 02:45:13 AM »

What is the objective?

Just a basic recreation of the state and territory map of the continental US. Adding places like VI/GU/etc is a bit much for the scope of this project.

To reduce data size, it would be preferable to have as few territorial changes as possible while still reflecting the general lay of the land. In other words, if there were minor changes to a territory between two elections, it doesn't necessarily have to be implemented.

Thinking about it more, probably - yes. Posting the map here would be fine then too.

I don't think this effort serves a whole lot of purpose other than filling out the map generator for aesthetics. I think it's probably rare that users even use those presidential years for their maps. Nevertheless, it would be nice to have, so if anyone is ever bored and wants to do it, I'll integrate it so long as it fits the exact boundaries/specs of the map currently in use by the calculator (in other words, I need to be able to just add the territory paths to the paths array and have it just 'fit' into the map without adjusting other regions).
I don't understand what the paths array is.

I noticed on an 1840 map, that VA is correctly portrayed including modern-day WV. But that if "WV" is included in the parameters for the map, it is drawn on top of VA.

So let's take 1788.

You would want a map with 14 territories.

1. NH
2. MA would include both MA and ME (and we could be indifferent to the territorial extent of Maine, just going with the modern boundary). Clearly the software can handle disjoint areas (e.g. HI).
3. RI - even though it had not acceded to the Constitution, it could be used in what if scenarios since it did have known number of electors.
4. CT
5. NY
6. NJ
7. PA
8. DE
9. MD (would include territory of DC north of the Potomac)
10. VA (would include modern territory of VA, WV, KY.
11. NC (would include modern territory of NC and TN) even though NC had not acceded to the Constitution, it could be used in what-if scenarios since it did have known number of electors.
12. SC
13. GA (including modern MS and AL, excluding their panhandles).
14. Northwest Territory using modern Canada-USA boundary.

You would then be able to reproduce something like the map in Wikipedia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1788%E2%80%9389_United_States_presidential_election

It would be up to your application to differentiate between NWT, NC and RI, and NY.

Does the rest of the map show the modern US extent including AK and HI insets? Would VT be included as a quasi-territory?

I think it would be best to include a date with the map. Your application could select which to use.

Are the boxes part of the map, or a legend?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2021, 06:29:26 PM »

How close is this to what you would want for a 1789 election?

Notes and Questions:

(1) I can (will) use a more generalized scale for state boundaries.

(2) I will include Northwest Territory.
(2a) Do the codes have to be two letters?

(3) I could include Vermont within New York outline, or include Vermont as a separate territory.

(4) Do you want early maps to be over on the right edge of the image. That is all maps would be drawn with the same scale and extent.

(5) It is assumed that the application would understand the status of NC and RI, and why there were no electoral votes for NY.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2021, 04:01:24 PM »

Right, so it looks like for the existing SVG data the map generator uses, Georgia would just need to be merged with AL/MS, NC merged with TN, and VA merged with WV/KY.

What I meant by the paths array is that most if not all of the regions on the map are implemented via a <path> html element, so each region has to essentially be 1 path element.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2021, 10:27:29 PM »

Right, so it looks like for the existing SVG data the map generator uses, Georgia would just need to be merged with AL/MS, NC merged with TN, and VA merged with WV/KY.

What I meant by the paths array is that most if not all of the regions on the map are implemented via a <path> html element, so each region has to essentially be 1 path element.
This version has coarser digitization, but I'd like to have little less detail. It also includes the Northwest Territory and the Erie Triangle.

Note that Georgia did not include West Florida including the AL and MS panhandles.

So you would like a suite of paths for the various states and territories, as well as a list of which paths should be used for each year?

I don't speak .svg. QGIS can apparently produce such a file.

How does your 1840 map know to use the Virginia as it existed at that time?
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2021, 05:53:42 PM »

I’ve noticed many people using the new maps while using the old colors.

I think it’s best to be uniform.

The old color scheme should be phased out. You have to be a Atlas regular to really get why some things are backwards. It’s common knowledge now Blue is Dem, Red is GOP.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2021, 05:56:16 PM »

The old color scheme should be phased out.
NO
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #110 on: January 23, 2021, 08:41:03 PM »

I’ve noticed many people using the new maps while using the old colors.

I think it’s best to be uniform.

The old color scheme should be phased out. You have to be a Atlas regular to really get why some things are backwards. It’s common knowledge now Blue is Dem, Red is GOP.

I made a big effort to make everything customizable so the forum could chart its own path. If people want to continue using the Atlas color scheme, they should do that. It's not up to me to decide how people style their maps.
Sosalol
Rookie
« Reply #111 on: January 27, 2021, 12:04:00 PM »

seems cool vro
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.45, S: -3.91

P P
« Reply #112 on: January 27, 2021, 06:07:24 PM »

Can we get a 2024/28 projected EVs map? I know we can just change it manually but with all the 2024 map talk already, it'd be nice to have available
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #113 on: January 29, 2021, 08:09:06 PM »

The name O'Rourke breaks the calculator.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #114 on: January 29, 2021, 08:52:49 PM »

I tested that name, it didn't seem to break anything. What did it do on your end?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #115 on: February 21, 2021, 09:19:43 PM »

I tested that name, it didn't seem to break anything. What did it do on your end?

Too lazy to replace Jeb with Beto.

The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2021, 11:42:36 PM »

My apologies if this has already been asked, but what's the status on the new MS flag? Is that going to be reserved for 2024 because that will be the first election that MS has their new flag?

Also, if Virginia's feeling especially ambitious one day maybe the former Confederate flags can be re-added for older elections. I have plenty of time to kill, so I could research the flags and resize them myself. Tongue
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: February 28, 2021, 04:01:08 PM »

I have it included in the next update. Hopefully I can get that done this week, or maybe tomorrow sometime.

I meant to get that done a while ago but I tried to add faithless elector support which ended up necessitating huge changes, and right as I was again losing interest in coding again, so I had scale back my ambitions and take a break from forum-related projects.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: February 28, 2021, 08:25:30 PM »

Also, if Virginia's feeling especially ambitious one day maybe the former Confederate flags can be re-added for older elections. I have plenty of time to kill, so I could research the flags and resize them myself. Tongue

How many different versions of state flags are there? I wonder if it's practical to try and have it display the right flags depending on the map year.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2021, 12:10:08 AM »

How many different versions of state flags are there? I wonder if it's practical to try and have it display the right flags depending on the map year.

I would have to research that, but I do know that Georgia, for example, only had its current flag since 2003. Prior to that, it featured the stars and bars like Mississippi's did. And obviously it would've had a completely different flag prior to 1860.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2021, 12:59:26 PM »

I would have to research that, but I do know that Georgia, for example, only had its current flag since 2003. Prior to that, it featured the stars and bars like Mississippi's did. And obviously it would've had a completely different flag prior to 1860.

If it even had a flag. It wasn't until the Civil War and Reconstruction that State flags became customary. The reason why many State flags are State seals on bedsheets is that regimental flags in the Civil War era typically had that design combined with the name of the regiment.  Georgia didn't officially adopt a State flag until 1879.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #121 on: April 27, 2021, 12:44:36 PM »

It still has the electoral votes for 2020 but I changed them (I don't think that I made any errors) to reflect 2024 votes. The first map is the same as 2020 results and the second is one possible tie scenario:

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: April 27, 2021, 09:33:24 PM »

How would yalls recommend making the new EC votes available?

I was thinking of a "2020 (post-census)" option that shows the 2020 results with the new numbers. I could then phase that menu option out once the 2024 presidential election concludes.

Any thoughts?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #123 on: April 28, 2021, 03:12:58 AM »

I was thinking of a "2020 (post-census)" option that shows the 2020 results with the new numbers. I could then phase that menu option out once the 2024 presidential election concludes.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea, yeah. The 2020 maps are more or less obsolete now and not useful for 2024 predictions.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2021, 07:52:30 AM »

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a good idea, yeah. The 2020 maps are more or less obsolete now and not useful for 2024 predictions.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies