New electoral vote calculator
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:16:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  New electoral vote calculator
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8
Author Topic: New electoral vote calculator  (Read 43661 times)
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2020, 04:51:53 PM »

Can we get a way to have easy access to the old fashioned EV calculator? This is cool and a vast improvement, but I wanna also have access to the old maps for the sake of simplicity and versatility.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2020, 04:53:13 PM »

Can we get a way to use the old fashioned EV calculator? This is cool and a vast improvement, but I wanna also have access to the old maps for the sake of simplicity and versatility.
This
Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2020, 04:58:54 PM »

How does one access the old maps?

Clicking in the states doesn't appear to go into more detail with counties AFAIK, let alone the other goodies.
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2020, 05:00:00 PM »

Can we get a way to use the old fashioned EV calculator? This is cool and a vast improvement, but I wanna also have access to the old maps for the sake of simplicity and versatility.
  US Election Atlas: Election Results, and scroll down to Electoral College Calculator for 2020.
Still available.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2020, 05:03:50 PM »

US Election Atlas: Election Results, and scroll down to Electoral College Calculator for 2020.
Still available.

Well yeah, but that's a lot of clicks. Tongue
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2020, 05:32:31 PM »

Still available.

Well yeah, but that's a lot of clicks. Tongue
It's a grand total of two.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2020, 05:35:23 PM »

Is 99 the limit it shows on the map for a individual states electoral votes?
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2020, 07:26:15 PM »

This is beautiful! Truly a Thanksgiving miracle.

That said, on behalf of the Supreme Pontiff His Holiness Kalwejt I, I must inform you all that use of any but the One True Color Scheme is heresy, and all who will not confess their sins and repent will be burned alive at the stake.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2020, 07:52:42 PM »

Okay Miss Virginia I love this
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2020, 08:09:27 PM »
« Edited: November 26, 2020, 08:30:31 PM by Virginiá »

For now, anyway. The more space the numbers take up, the more the text placement coordinates have to be adjusted, and right now it's just statically placed with some very rudimentary repositioning for bigger/smaller numbers. If I wanted it to support 100+ while still looking good, I'd need to come up with something better.

On top of that, I don't know what to do about the small states that have result boxes or NH/VT, where long numbers would simply not fit. I opted to restrict it rather than delay release even more.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2020, 09:34:42 PM »

How does one access the old maps?

Clicking in the states doesn't appear to go into more detail with counties AFAIK, let alone the other goodies.

I wanted to enable interactive tooltips and have a link to the state results like the old calculator has, but for some reason, the tooltip plugin I use bugs out when I enable interactive mode and it won't show the tips... So until I figure out what the issue is, I'm unable to link to the Atlas state results page without replacing the click-to-change feature I enabled for the map.

I'll keep looking for a solution, though.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2020, 10:56:08 PM »

You can't enter free-form text, nor more than two digits.

Consider re-ordering the Nebraska CD's to match the geographical order:

3  1  2

And vertically align the Maine CD's

Darken the text for the wee states, possibly matching the color code.

States should be in alphabetical order for the human interface. Computers are tools, we are not their servants.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2020, 11:45:57 PM »

Generally a much appreciated improvement, but I do have eight minor critiques.

First, unless my memory is playing tricks on me, the old generator at one time allowed for years earlier than 1840. (Tho that may have been removed from the old generator at the same time as when manually setting the year to a future date allowed one to include Puerto Rico on the map, and in any case is not available in the currently available old generator.)
Second, the map generator is unable to display State EVs when you set them greater than 99 manually, tho it will incorporate altered EV numbers in the EV bar at top.
Third, and this is no doubt is related to the changes made to add the EV bar, but the old generator allowed one to have text instead of a number as the EV. That was occasionally useful when one wanted to put a label on parts of a map rather than State EVs.  The adjusting EV bar is a more useful feature tho, so definitely don't scrap it.
Fourth, unlike the old generator, the EVs for antebellum Virginia are shown centered in postbellum Virginia, which makes it look off-center in pre-1864 maps.
Fifth, the labels for MA and MD on the legend boxes at the right of the map sometimes disappear depending upon how much the page is zoomed. (A similar problem afflicts the "Yellow" color choice in the drop-down selector for party choice in the scenario generator.)
Fifth, you're specifying percentiles rather than perdeciles like the old generator did, but as far as I can tell, you're still shading by decile rather than centile. (Tho at least you are gracefully handling values below 20% now.) Perhaps centile shading is intended for a future version?
Sixth, it would be nice if the hatched area only covered areas that were territories in that year. Bonus points if territorial boundaries also showed.
Seventh, a nice added feature for antebellum South Carolina, and 1876 Colorado would be to show that there was no PV in that State.
Eighth, from a standard GUI POV, it is not intuitive that in the scenario generator, to have no incumbent be selected, you click on the current incumbent radio button. I get that you were probably trying to avoid adding an explicit "No incumbent" choice, and it wasn't difficult to figure out, but you may want to reconsider.

jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2020, 12:31:57 AM »

This is close to what I want to be able to create, except:

I wanted to enter 145 for Alabama (just horizontally center text about midpoint of the widest horizontal range in the middle third of the vertical range).

I don't want to have the 0's appear, but I might want text in some States (these are multi-state regions).

If you're working on this, think about having the ability to add PR, VI, NM, GU, and AS. These can be only the boxes. Perhaps have one flag to enable, and then only include those that are actually enumerated (I have a value for PR but not the others).

Darken the text for MA, RI, CT, NJ, DE, MD, DC or possibly match the color.

Add an Orange scale (color 5).
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2020, 01:44:02 AM »

For now, anyway. The more space the numbers take up, the more the text placement coordinates have to be adjusted, and right now it's just statically placed with some very rudimentary repositioning for bigger/smaller numbers. If I wanted it to support 100+ while still looking good, I'd need to come up with something better.

On top of that, I don't know what to do about the small states that have result boxes or NH/VT, where long numbers would simply not fit. I opted to restrict it rather than delay release even more.

Thanks for the clarification. I was mainly curious since IIRC I was actually the one that suggested the ability to edit the electoral numbers when you asked what we wanted last year. This system is far better and more accommodating for my project than the previous one. For projects and maps where I need states to do triple digits, I can always just use the older map version, as long as the link never permanetly goes down, so no issue.

All in all, thank you for the hard work and effort, and thank you very much for making green no longer the only third party color, as that can make multi party races in history much easier to make and work with without making it confusing
Neptunium
Taiwan

Political Matrix
E: 5.16, S: -1.90

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2020, 01:47:08 AM »
« Edited: November 27, 2020, 01:51:47 AM by Neptunium »

Technically, the ISO 3166-2 standard state name abbreviations for Wisconsin and West Virginia are WI and WV, respectively. That means when sorting them alphabetically, WV goes after WI. Maybe sometime in the future I'll re-do how the lists are sorted, but right now it's more work than it is worth.

I think PA should put to D>40% instead since Biden didn't pass 50% here.

By the way the new format look great!

I thought he did? Wikipedia has him at 50.01% and NYT at 50.0%

It didn’t after you count the writing vote, see the buttom part of the wiki page, which shows Biden get 49.96%.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2020, 08:33:31 AM »

AMAZING!
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2020, 09:24:42 AM »

I can't reproduce any missing labels due to zoom.

Replacing EVs as text on the map itself is complicated because the evs supplied in the bbcode data are used for other things, such as the EVBar. It's not just text to be placed into a label. So I would have to come up with a new option for inserting text in lieu of EVs. It'll take some time.

For >99 EVs, I'd have to re-position all the initial state EVs. Thinking about it more, I set the original coordinates based on EVs from 2016's map, which means I can't just assume the base alignment is for a single digit number and expand leftwards as needed, which would make larger EV counts trivial. I'll have to redo all of this.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2020, 09:37:41 AM »

A quibble: I would like to see more gradation between 40 and 60. Anyone who wins a state with 55% of the vote is winning by at least 10%, which is a big distinction from winning 51-48 as a characterization of the results. 57-43 is a landslide in any state.

This color scheme is more attractive than what we have had without losing anything obvious. , 
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2020, 10:13:22 AM »

test

suggestions
- New colours (orange, pink, brown and maroon)
- State, congressional and senatorial maps
- Option to let more states decide their own EV splitdown like ME, NE (for future/fantasy purposes)
- Option to fill exact percentages and shown on the tooltip of the state
- Option to fill in PV percentages

optional
- possibility to simulate results, beginning solely on how you classify the races (lean, likely, safe, ...), expand on it later
- ranked-choice voting tool
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2020, 10:15:34 AM »

I totally forgot to enable something I disabled when testing.

You can copy a person's map and load it into the editor by hovering over the map. You'll see a couple elements pop up at the bottom of the map, including a link labeled "Edit this map" on the bottom right:

Note that this doesn't work as well if you're trying to load a map by another user that was edited manually, as little hacks may work with the map itself fine but the editor is more strict.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2020, 10:52:10 AM »
« Edited: November 27, 2020, 11:05:27 AM by True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자) »

I can't reproduce any missing labels due to zoom.

It probably depends upon the fonts a browser uses. If it helps, MA and MD are the widest text labels.  Also, the problem is showing up for me only when the map is shrunk due to zoom, not expanded due to zoom.

By the way, I came across some quirks involving negative or decimal EVs. (Yes, I was deliberately trying weird inputs to test what would break.)
  • Decimals don't display, but the integer part is included in the EV bar
  • -0 is just 0, so it's clear you're not using IEEE floating point
  • -1 gives the default values for the 2020 map, regardless of what year the map actually is.
  • -2 to -9 show up on the map, but are treated as 0 for the EV bar
  • -10 and below don't show on the map and are treated as 0 for the EV bar

So it looks like there currently is a kludge for Jim's desire to have nothing showup in certain States.

I don't want to have the 0's appear,

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2020, 11:09:07 AM »

So it looks like there currently is a kludge for Jim's desire to have nothing showup in certain States.

I'm working on some ideas for showing text instead of EVs, but it's less thorough than I like. For example I can interpret the EV value in the region array by type, and use it as an EV if it's an integer, and use it as a text label if it's a string. My hangup is that it's totally not the way I'd do this if I were including that feature from the start. The way I would normally do it is to allow BOTH evs and label text, so the EVs would at least show up in the EVBar and tooltips. I probably should have made the region entry an object, not an array, so I could structure it better.

I'll continue mulling it over.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2020, 11:26:59 AM »

Also, unsure of how to handle custom ev label text in the result boxes (MD, CT, DE, etc...). There is nowhere near enough room for any custom text. Might need to restrict text for those states. There isn't enough space to put the text to the right of the box without widening the entire SVG canvas.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2020, 12:12:32 PM »

Also, unsure of how to handle custom ev label text in the result boxes (MD, CT, DE, etc...). There is nowhere near enough room for any custom text. Might need to restrict text for those states. There isn't enough space to put the text to the right of the box without widening the entire SVG canvas.
Is the text being clipped? I'm OK with larger numbers overrunning limits on states like NH or VT.

I like the color that is used when a state is highlighted. I'm not sure that you need a change when the state is selected. Perhaps simply highlight the box as well.

Or maybe replace the squares with state shapes (e.g. similar to what is done with Hawaii).

It is hard to switch from graphic to text and back.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies