Denver mayor Tweets to not travel during holidays 30 min before boarding flight
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:02:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Denver mayor Tweets to not travel during holidays 30 min before boarding flight
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Denver mayor Tweets to not travel during holidays 30 min before boarding flight  (Read 919 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 26, 2020, 12:49:38 AM »

to Mississippi for the holidays
Denver Mayor Michael Hancock boarded a flight to Houston ahead of Thanksgiving despite his warnings that people should stay close to home and only spend the holiday with their own household if they can.

His spokeswoman confirmed that Hancock was traveling to Houston Wednesday to visit his daughter in Mississippi, and that his wife is already there.

About 30 minutes before the flight, Hancock's account tweeted out to “avoid travel, if you can” in order to slow the spread of COVID-19.
not as bad as Newsom's fancy dinner with donors and doctors a few days ago, but still funny
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2020, 05:20:02 AM »

Probably shows how fed up politicians are with COVID rules on a personal and private level, despite the fact that adhering to these rules undoubtedly helps restricting the spread of the virus. I mean I too felt similarly conflicted this past month, sometimes arguing in favour of lockdown measures despite the fact that personally I feel incapable of following lockdown procedures myself. But maybe you never give up hope that there are still people around for whom it may not constitute such a problem to follow them, psychologically speaking. In short, the situation is so difficult that there are no absolutely right answers and there is no absolutely right behaviour.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 07:27:59 AM »

Probably shows how fed up politicians are with COVID rules on a personal and private level, despite the fact that adhering to these rules undoubtedly helps restricting the spread of the virus. I mean I too felt similarly conflicted this past month, sometimes arguing in favour of lockdown measures despite the fact that personally I feel incapable of following lockdown procedures myself. But maybe you never give up hope that there are still people around for whom it may not constitute such a problem to follow them, psychologically speaking. In short, the situation is so difficult that there are no absolutely right answers and there is no absolutely right behaviour.
indeed, so maybe the politicians should stop sending out the cops to hassle the plebs when they know how impossible their rules are to follow.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 09:03:28 AM »

indeed, so maybe the politicians should stop sending out the cops to hassle the plebs when they know how impossible their rules are to follow.

I don't know.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 12:08:03 PM »

...to Mississippi?  Eew, get him out

Is his daughter a sorostitute at Old Piss or something?  Tongue
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2020, 12:13:37 PM »

Ole Miss sorority girls are the best.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 12:15:25 PM »

UGA, UF, and Texas A&M sorority girls are unequivocally higher quality than Ole Miss, lol 
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 12:25:06 PM »

...to Mississippi?  Eew, get him out

Is his daughter a sorostitute at Old Piss or something?  Tongue

UGA, UF, and Texas A&M sorority girls are unequivocally higher quality than Ole Miss, lol  
No way. LSU, UK, Arizona, probably. Anyway, we shouldn't derail this thread. Smiley
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2020, 01:19:50 PM »

No way. LSU, UK, Arizona, probably. Anyway, we shouldn't derail this thread. Smiley

The entire purpose of Ole Miss is to be a socially acceptable landing spot for students who couldn't get in to the University of ___ in their home state, so I guess it depends on what qualities you're looking for in a sorority girl.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2020, 02:03:54 PM »

The entire purpose of Ole Miss is to be a socially acceptable landing spot for students who couldn't get in to the University of ___ in their home state, so I guess it depends on what qualities you're looking for in a sorority girl.
Those are exactly the qualities I'm looking for. Smiley
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2020, 02:35:35 PM »

They're not impossible to follow, Hancock is just weak-willed.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 11:47:31 PM »

Further proof of my theory that virtually no one (under 70) actually socially distances and quarantines when healthy.  Some people pretend they do online, but no one actually does.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2020, 11:23:24 AM »
« Edited: November 28, 2020, 11:33:04 AM by Sprouts Farmers Market ✘ »

Further proof of my theory that virtually no one (under 70) actually socially distances and quarantines when healthy.  Some people pretend they do online, but no one actually does.

It's all a fraud. (though I'd alter your age limit to 50 or maybe 60) I am one of those people who has had serious confrontations with people who do not social distance and threaten my safety (the most serious one when several dozen hospital workers completely surrounded me so they could have a raucous party in a bar in a way that would make me feel unsafe in normal times). Yet online I am treated as if I am abnormal and unethical by anonymous people who can't have their own flaws pointed out so they are free to virtue signal.

No one even wears masks in indoor social gatherings because no one cares about getting it under age 50. You wear it to the mall, you wear it to the grocery store to protect people over that age, you don't actually wear it with people you know, and barely anyone wears one outside as it is. In the suburbs, there is little reason to even remember to carry one.

The media lied to us for three months to make us live in fear. Nhoj made the great observation on AAD that they had to change their message tone because obviously no one cares anymore since the risk is no worse than getting injured in a car crash. Now it has all become about blaming the 'other' for spreading it and prolonging boredom/misery rather than recognizing just about everyone is spreading it because it's an old issue that doesn't scare us.

I am stunned that anyone would ever trust media messaging ever again after this year.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2020, 12:03:26 PM »

Further proof of my theory that virtually no one (under 70) actually socially distances and quarantines when healthy.  Some people pretend they do online, but no one actually does.

It's all a fraud. (though I'd alter your age limit to 50 or maybe 60) I am one of those people who has had serious confrontations with people who do not social distance and threaten my safety (the most serious one when several dozen hospital workers completely surrounded me so they could have a raucous party in a bar in a way that would make me feel unsafe in normal times). Yet online I am treated as if I am abnormal and unethical by anonymous people who can't have their own flaws pointed out so they are free to virtue signal.

No one even wears masks in indoor social gatherings because no one cares about getting it under age 50. You wear it to the mall, you wear it to the grocery store to protect people over that age, you don't actually wear it with people you know, and barely anyone wears one outside as it is. In the suburbs, there is little reason to even remember to carry one.

In fairness, I'd argue this is because states are either:

a) Not taking appropiate measures

b) Not enforcing the measures they have properly

For example, if your worry is that "people are meeting up with their friends and people they know maskless"; why not simply ban that? Under threat of a fine?

The situation in the US from what it seems is bad enough that a ban on non-household meetings would 100% be justified. Such a ban is hard to patrol and I'll admit, but not impossible? (and just announcing a ban means that many people will follow it even if they could easily get away with breaking the law)

Closing all bars and non-essencial shops is also a good measure that could be taken and much easier to patrol.

Given the situation you describe in particular (some people in a bar surrounding you; I'm assuming you work at said bar?) the solution is that the bar should not have been open in the first place; or its opening hours should have been severely cut, forcing it to close at say, 6pm (or whatever passes for "way, way too early" in the US)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2020, 12:43:27 PM »

In fairness, I'd argue this is because states are either:

a) Not taking appropiate measures

b) Not enforcing the measures they have properly

For example, if your worry is that "people are meeting up with their friends and people they know maskless"; why not simply ban that? Under threat of a fine?

The situation in the US from what it seems is bad enough that a ban on non-household meetings would 100% be justified. Such a ban is hard to patrol and I'll admit, but not impossible? (and just announcing a ban means that many people will follow it even if they could easily get away with breaking the law)

Closing all bars and non-essencial shops is also a good measure that could be taken and much easier to patrol.

Given the situation you describe in particular (some people in a bar surrounding you; I'm assuming you work at said bar?) the solution is that the bar should not have been open in the first place; or its opening hours should have been severely cut, forcing it to close at say, 6pm (or whatever passes for "way, way too early" in the US)

I do not work at a bar LOL. I was celebrating football night in America with five friends like all people do. A party of 70 hospital workers surrounded us, arrogantly flashing their hospital badges saying that it was safe, they were all tested and they were not endangering us. (Turns out they had lied to the bar and said it was a reservation for 16 people but the bar wouldn't turn them away despite our pleas). Clearly if this many people are willing to patronize it with zero concern, there is no appetite for your public policy. If you close these bars (mostly outdoor at this point), the gatherings will have to switch to my lavish indoor residence which I can't imagine is much better - shared ventilation and common areas and such.

Zero people would respect a ban of households intermingling LOL. Are you that far out of reality? Philadelphia banned that last Friday, and we all had a fantastic Thanksgiving anyway. You can't even go to a restaurant with another household under the new law. (LO freaking L)

Philadelphia also tried banning bars from operating after 10 PM and had a 24 hour pause for Thanksgiving. I am thankful we have a guy three blocks from my house operating an illicit street stand for the shadiest mixed drinks until midnight. We love patronizing that place!

If you wanted to crack down on any of this, maybe you shouldn't have made an enemy out of the police. In Philadelphia, enforcement of anything dropped the second Krasners got into office and became basically nothing after the antics of this summer.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2020, 01:02:59 PM »

I do not work at a bar LOL. I was celebrating football night in America with five friends like all people do. A party of 70 hospital workers surrounded us, arrogantly flashing their hospital badges saying that it was safe, they were all tested and they were not endangering us. (Turns out they had lied to the bar and said it was a reservation for 16 people but the bar wouldn't turn them away despite our pleas). Clearly if this many people are willing to patronize it with zero concern, there is no appetite for your public policy. If you close these bars (mostly outdoor at this point), the gatherings will have to switch to my lavish indoor residence which I can't imagine is much better - shared ventilation and common areas and such.

Zero people would respect a ban of households intermingling LOL. Are you that far out of reality? Philadelphia banned that last Friday, and we all had a fantastic Thanksgiving anyway. You can't even go to a restaurant with another household under the new law. (LO freaking L)

Philadelphia also tried banning bars from operating after 10 PM and had a 24 hour pause for Thanksgiving. I am thankful we have a guy three blocks from my house operating an illicit street stand for the shadiest mixed drinks until midnight. We love patronizing that place!

If you wanted to crack down on any of this, maybe you shouldn't have made an enemy out of the police. In Philadelphia, enforcement of anything dropped the second Krasners got into office and became basically nothing after the antics of this summer.

I mean, I know that the policy will be unpopular, but it will save lives and what not.

Yes, I know bars closing will throw people off of them and into private houses which are arguably worse ventilated and what not. But the point is that some people will respect the ban, and the local news will be showing eveyr day all the illegal parties and the police going into the houses to "stop the party" and give the homeowners and everyone there a big fine. (as well as any bars that are open against the law)

I don't know the degree to which the Boris Johnson ban on households intermingling was followed or not; but rates in the UK are going down. Alternatively our similar bans on "no more than 5/10 people meeting" were reasonably followed. Yes, dumb people still threw parties with tons of people; and I imagine many were caught and others were not. But many others did not, or they cut the attendance to said 5-10 people maximum.

Irresponsible people will always exist, but if even just 50% of people are "law-abiding" you are still cutting the amount of parties and what not by 50%. There is a decent amount of people that will follow the restrictions set up by the government, but stop there.

The specific stand you describe where one guy was selling drinks should have been closed by the police and the guy given a very heavy fine, it is very logical? It should not even be legal without COVID, let alone during a pandemic!

And for some reason you seem to think I am of the "defund the police" crowd?  Definitely not. I am not aware of the specifics so I can buy attempts at police reform, but stuff like defunding them (or even making an enemy of them) is a bad idea?

In any case, if police aren't following orders from their bosses, tbh the entire police department should be fired and in fact thrown in prison alltogether. If it was the military, it'd be called a coup or rebellion and the same applies with the police.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2020, 01:18:38 PM »

I mean, I know that the policy will be unpopular, but it will save lives and what not.

Yes, I know bars closing will throw people off of them and into private houses which are arguably worse ventilated and what not. But the point is that some people will respect the ban, and the local news will be showing eveyr day all the illegal parties and the police going into the houses to "stop the party" and give the homeowners and everyone there a big fine. (as well as any bars that are open against the law)

I don't know the degree to which the Boris Johnson ban on households intermingling was followed or not; but rates in the UK are going down. Alternatively our similar bans on "no more than 5/10 people meeting" were reasonably followed. Yes, dumb people still threw parties with tons of people; and I imagine many were caught and others were not. But many others did not, or they cut the attendance to said 5-10 people maximum.

Irresponsible people will always exist, but if even just 50% of people are "law-abiding" you are still cutting the amount of parties and what not by 50%. There is a decent amount of people that will follow the restrictions set up by the government, but stop there.

The specific stand you describe where one guy was selling drinks should have been closed by the police and the guy given a very heavy fine, it is very logical? It should not even be legal without COVID, let alone during a pandemic!

And for some reason you seem to think I am of the "defund the police" crowd?  Definitely not. I am not aware of the specifics so I can buy attempts at police reform, but stuff like defunding them (or even making an enemy of them) is a bad idea?

In any case, if police aren't following orders from their bosses, tbh the entire police department should be fired and in fact thrown in prison alltogether. If it was the military, it'd be called a coup or rebellion and the same applies with the police.

You overestimate the law abiding percentage by several magnitudes. The change from the number of people currently quarantining is within 5 percent not 50 percent. Christmas is a certainty and so are all our unofficial work parties. No state is going to stop us.

I don't mean you personally are part of defund the police. But the people asking them to enforce it have already made enemies of them. Sounds very idealistic to want to fire/imprison the police. Have you read a BRTD post lately? Minneapolis currently has a desperate shortage of police to enforce anything and is contracting work to suburban police who do not want to do the job either. That's why they work for a crimeless suburb. They are not adequately paid for the risk. Your solution is even more anarchy than we already have.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2020, 01:37:36 PM »

Why do you hate small businesses??
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2020, 01:55:05 PM »

Why do you hate small businesses??

I don't? If the guy wants to open a "proper" bar (once the pandemic is over) he should be allowed to, after signing the necessary paperwork, and as long as he complies with whatever health guidelines he needs.

Even Sprouts defines the place as "shady"! Of course an illegal under the table bar should be closed?

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2020, 02:29:59 PM »

Those are the best kind...
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2020, 08:35:44 PM »

Hancock is a hypocrite?
How shocking.