SENATE BILL: Arsenal of Democracy Act (Passed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:16:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Arsenal of Democracy Act (Passed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Arsenal of Democracy Act (Passed)  (Read 1716 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 24, 2020, 09:44:01 PM »
« edited: January 01, 2021, 01:26:20 PM by Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee »

Arsenal of Democracy Act.

This Congress recognises the outsized and important role that Atlasia plays on events around the world and recognises the importance of promoting democracy, human rights and equality through all aspects of our foreign policy.

1.) This Act hereby requires that before the authoristian and transfer of either 1.) Non-Lethal arms and ammunition 2.) Lethal arms and ammunition 3.) Policing and anti-terror training from the Government of Atlasia that the Secretary of State sends to congress a resolution certifying that the following conditions have been met.

The criteria

A respect for democracy and the rule of law.

Protections and Equality for but not limited to the following groups and individuals: religious groups and faiths, LGBT+ individuals, gender, those with disabilities and those from indingeous backgrounds.

Protections for the natural environment and a proactive plan to reduce carbon emissions.

The freedom of the press and the right to peacefully protest and assemble.

2.) In light of the above criteria the following countries are hereby barred from purchasing either non-lethal or lethal arms from Atlasia or from receiving military or policing training; either in their own country or in Atlasia.

2A.)  Azerbaijan
2B.) Central African Republic
2C.) China
2D.) Brunei
2E.) Belarus
2F.) Egypt
2G.) Iran
2H.) Syria
2I.) Mynamar
2J.) Venezuala
2K.) Zimbabwe

3.) For the above restrictions to be lifted the Secretary of State shall under the terms of this act certify that substantial progress has been made under the provisions in the Criteria and this shall be ratified by both Houses of Congress.

4.) The certification of the provisions in this act shall be reviewed by the Secretary of State every 12 months, with an emergency provision enabling changes, providing that both houses of congress are notified within 10 days.

Sponsor: Blair
Senate Designation: SB27:04
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2020, 09:44:39 PM »

Initial Debate Period shall commence with 24 hours for advocacy and 48 hours for response from the members.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2020, 02:35:53 AM »

Thanks for bringing this up.

This is a long standing issue of importance to me; this act to put it rather simply puts a set of controls for the export of both lethal and non-lethal arms, along with military/counter-terror training

For too long our foreign policy has basically been focused on a extremely short-term and reactionary basis; we sell arms to a country based on who they Border (see Iraq in the 1980s, which irrc included giving geo-locations for chemical attacks & see the billions of Iranian weaponary used against Atlasia interests which we sold them!) I do honestly believe that it will lead to better outcomes for us if we use these measures.

I think if you use a human rights basis & these 5 principles it clearly sets a line; nations will know that they have to make changes (the act has a specific clause around nations demonstrating the need to reform) & will get pushed towards them; the response of 'well they're buy elsewhere' makes sense for smaller arms but if you've got a $15 billion jet proejct you can't just rip out the computers/targeting software.

I will admit that the list of countries is not exhaustive or limited; I did it as a quick addition to the bill & am more than happy to more to be added/removed.

And finally this bill creates activity!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 10:13:38 AM »

This reminds me of that 'foreign policy review' bill I proposed that passed but was quickly forgotten about by subsequent administrations. Tongue

But I agree with the general spirit of this bill, as well as giving Congress more power and oversight with regard to foreign policy.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2020, 09:26:27 PM »

This reminds me of that 'foreign policy review' bill I proposed that passed but was quickly forgotten about by subsequent administrations. Tongue

But I agree with the general spirit of this bill, as well as giving Congress more power and oversight with regard to foreign policy.

Technically you called it the Foreign Relations Review, or FRR for short as opposed to the Foreign Policy Review or FPR, which is what it was called pre-reset.

I remember working on it in my administration and I think Fhtagn finished it for 2017. I don't remember if any after that were done.

Technically speaking the Budget is due by like April 30th for the Fiscal Year starting October 1st. We haven't done good at meeting that deadline either.

In theory the Secretary of State with help of NSC would prepare it with President making the important decisions and submitting it to Congress. Likewise the SoIA/AG would prepare the Budget with the help of the DPC or similar advisory board and the President making the calls on various decisions therein.

I have at points considered the thought of using one of those apps designed for offices to maintain schedules, deadlines and projects and such forth but I am not sure what benefit highlighting in some fashion a given deadline would have if any in actually motivating action to happen. Its not just that people forget, it is then a matter of people having time and motivation to actually do the legwork involved.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 09:07:14 PM »

Any other thoughts, comments, concerns, questions, amendments?

Or Final vote time?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2020, 05:08:18 PM »

Any other thoughts, comments, concerns, questions, amendments?

Or Final vote time?

Usually as the sponsor I'm pushing for a final vote but this is honestly a bill where I'd welcome any suggestions or changes!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2020, 05:45:07 PM »

Friendly reminder that the situation in Venezuela has developed in a different direction via the last two years (with additions by GM Truman, GM Ninja and myself). You can check the Acta Publica for a brief summary, but - in general terms - Maduro was deposed and killed by the military, General Padrino then ruled with an iron fist and got deposed, and a transitional government was established.

As of the last few weeks (see "International government changes"), Venezuela held a new round of elections for Congress and the Presidency, and newly elected President Leopoldo López has been recently sworn in. Whether these developments warrant or not any legislative action I leave it up to the Senate, but I think it's relevant info compared to the other named countries (many of which face similar or the same conditions as OTL).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2020, 03:18:22 AM »

So we need an amendment then based on Lumine's feedback.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2020, 05:44:35 AM »

Quote from: Amendment

This Congress recognises the outsized and important role that Atlasia plays on events around the world and recognises the importance of promoting democracy, human rights and equality through all aspects of our foreign policy.

1.) This Act hereby requires that before the authoristian and transfer of either 1.) Non-Lethal arms and ammunition 2.) Lethal arms and ammunition 3.) Policing and anti-terror training from the Government of Atlasia that the Secretary of State sends to congress a resolution certifying that the following conditions have been met.

The criteria

Protections and Equality for but not limited to the following groups and individuals: religious groups and faiths, LGBT+ individuals, gender, those with disabilities and those from indingeous backgrounds.

Protections for the natural environment and a proactive plan to reduce carbon emissions.

2.) In light of the above criteria the following countries are hereby barred from purchasing either non-lethal or lethal arms from Atlasia or from receiving military or policing training; either in their own country or in Atlasia.

2A.)  Azerbaijan
2C.) China
2D.) Brunei
2E.) Belarus
2F.) Egypt
2G.) Iran
2H.) Syria
2I.) Mynamar
2J.) Venezuala
2J.) Zimbabwe

3.) For the above restrictions to be lifted the Secretary of State shall under the terms of this act certify that substantial progress has been made under the provisions in the Criteria and this shall be ratified by both Houses of Congress.

4.) The certification of the provisions in this act shall be reviewed by the Secretary of State every 12 months, with an emergency provision enabling changes, providing that both houses of congress are notified within 10 days.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 05:47:08 PM »

amendment is friendly- thanks Lumine, Yankee & Scott
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2020, 09:17:14 PM »
« Edited: December 03, 2020, 09:23:45 PM by Senator Scott🍁 »

Should Russia and North Korea be added? Saudi Arabia? There is a number of countries with communist or authoritarian governments that are undemocratic. If we're going to be consistent in our support for democracy and human rights, this list will be a mile long.

And although I personally believe democracy to be the best form of government, the cultural and tribal differences in some countries render democracy unworkable. Democracy would not work, and has never been tried, in countries like China and Saudi Arabia. We need to be humble in recognizing that instituting democracy throughout the world simply isn't feasible, and not the only measure of human rights.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2020, 10:02:19 PM »

What about including Paflagonia, which had a fraudlent election and Hungary, which barred gender changes legally.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2020, 11:16:36 PM »

24 hrs to object

further changes can be another amendment so don't interpret this as a disregarding these points.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2020, 01:48:50 AM »

Is there already an arms embargo on Saudi Arabia? If not I'd add it to the list.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2020, 02:20:40 AM »

New amendment:
Quote from: Amendment

The criteria

2A.)  Azerbaijan
2C.) China
2D.) Brunei
2E.) Belarus
2F.) Egypt
2G.) Iran
2H.) Syria
2I.) Mynamar
2J.) Venezuala
2J.) Zimbabwe
2K.) Saudi Arabia

Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2020, 04:56:30 AM »

What about including Paflagonia, which had a fraudlent election and Hungary, which barred gender changes legally.

Paflagonia may or may not be ok, but I fully oppose including Hungary
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2020, 04:59:59 AM »

why the inclusion of Azerbaijan?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2020, 06:13:49 AM »

The recent conflict against Armenia has seen some pretty worrying actions & aggressions by Azerbaijan including allegations of cluster munitions being used against civilans.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2020, 02:02:34 PM »

The recent conflict against Armenia has seen some pretty worrying actions & aggressions by Azerbaijan including allegations of cluster munitions being used against civilans.
Weren't a lot of Azeri munitions in recent years actually Isreali, as opposed to Atlasian? Also, wouldn't including Azerbaijan on the list harm Atlasia's relations with the important power-broker?
For sake of appearances we ought to include Azerbaijan and Armenia, or exclude both.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2020, 04:41:06 PM »

First amendment is adopted. I will call 24 hours on the next amendment shortly, but I want to process the text with its appropriate number so people aren't confused.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2020, 04:50:38 PM »

Quote from: Amendment S27:04 by Scott

The criteria

2A.)  Azerbaijan
2C.) China
2D.) Brunei
2E.) Belarus
2F.) Egypt
2G.) Iran
2H.) Syria
2I.) Mynamar
2J.) Venezuala
2J.) Zimbabwe
2K.) Saudi Arabia

Sponsor Feedback: Is this Friendly, Blair?
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2020, 04:56:07 PM »

Friendly; a bill I passed last year did suspend arms sales to Saudi Arabia (I'm 99% sure it had a sunset clause of two years though) but I'm happy to see it codified here too.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2020, 04:57:07 PM »

Quote from: Amendment S27:04 by Scott

The criteria

2A.)  Azerbaijan
2C.) China
2D.) Brunei
2E.) Belarus
2F.) Egypt
2G.) Iran
2H.) Syria
2I.) Mynamar
2J.) Venezuala
2J.) Zimbabwe
2K.) Saudi Arabia

Sponsor Feedback: Friendly
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2020, 08:51:20 PM »

North Korea is a democracy in Atlasia-verse, (one which recently elected to begin reunification talks although that has not yet happened), so it should not be sanctioned under this act. In Palfagonia Atlasia has recognised Gerta Baer, leader of the pro-democracy movement in Paflagonia, as the leader of the nation, so it would not make sense to add them to this list when we should be helping the government of Paflagonia that Atlasia has recognised.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies