European ethnicities Biden won
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:10:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  European ethnicities Biden won
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: European ethnicities Biden won  (Read 1946 times)
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2020, 08:58:59 AM »

Seems completely weird that Scandi-Americans voted for Trump. Everybody in actual Scandinavia pretty much despises Trump.

They are still to the left of white Americans as a whole, I would imagine.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2020, 02:50:00 PM »

It's unclear though what Austrian ancestry even means in the US.

A lot of Austrians at the time were registered as "Germans", because they spoke some kind of German.

And some might have claimed Austrian ancestry, even though their ancestors came from the Austrian-Hungarian Empire and not from today's post 1918-borders Austria.

John Kerry (whose roots are in Moravia) is sometimes referred to as an Austrian American.
Motorcity

« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2020, 03:11:00 PM »

Seems completely weird that Scandi-Americans voted for Trump. Everybody in actual Scandinavia pretty much despises Trump.
The average American doesn’t know their ancestors much less care. Googling that their name is Norwegian doesn’t in any way affect how they’ll vote

Ancestors isn’t a good way to determine how white Americans will vote. This isn’t the 1920s where Irish Americans vote for candidate X or German Americans vote for candidate Y
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2020, 07:15:26 PM »

Well for that matter a healthy majority of Europeans would pick Biden over Trump, and a clear majority of European Americans voted Trump over Biden.
I actually find the reverse weirder?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2020, 07:15:41 PM »

Are Austrians lumped together with the Germans ?

Most Austrians settled in CA, NY, PA, OH and WI - so who knows how they voted.

I assume slightly for Biden.

I have some Austrian ancestry and I voted for Biden, if that makes you feel better.

Some also settled in NJ.

It's unclear though what Austrian ancestry even means in the US.

A lot of Austrians at the time were registered as "Germans", because they spoke some kind of German.

And some might have claimed Austrian ancestry, even though their ancestors came from the Austrian-Hungarian Empire and not from today's post 1918-borders Austria.

Since 1918, emigration to the US has gone down significantly and especially after the 1950s when the economy started booming after WW2.

Last year, there were actually more Americans immigrating to Austria than Austrians emigrating to the US ...

Because Austrians tend to very quickly assimilate into US culture, I assume that they mostly vote like the US as a whole: coastal Austro-Americans voted for Biden, inland Austro-Americans (PA, OH, WI) voted more for Trump.

I would fall into the Austro-Hungarian descendant category then.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2020, 07:55:18 PM »

Reagent(e) did this analysis in 2016 and found out (ironically) that Portuguese were the only white group that voted for Clinton. I don't think Spanish were included though.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2020, 10:19:03 PM »

Well for that matter a healthy majority of Europeans would pick Biden over Trump, and a clear majority of European Americans voted Trump over Biden.

I'll bet the majority of European-born Americans voted for Trump as well.  Of course many of them are old and immigrated to the US decades ago.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2020, 10:32:00 PM »

I'll bet the majority of European-born Americans voted for Trump as well.  Of course many of them are old and immigrated to the US decades ago.

Or perhaps maybe since Canada and US are quite similar, European immigrants decide partially on ideology.  The more liberal minded move to Canada, the more conservative minded move to US.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2020, 10:56:39 PM »

Anecdotally, I know an Italian immigrant with progressive views who has a brother in Chicago.  Both emigrated as young men in the 1960s.  During the Bush years he was a very patriotic Canadian, proud that Canada stayed out of Iraq and jokingly let his brother know he made the wrong choice (I think the Chicago side of the family has some Trump supporters though).
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2020, 08:33:56 AM »

Or perhaps maybe since Canada and US are quite similar, European immigrants decide partially on ideology.  The more liberal minded move to Canada, the more conservative minded move to US.

Anecdotally, most of the European-born Americans I've met have been very liberal in the US context.

Of course, we're now going to have a Ukrainian-born Republican in Congress.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2020, 12:18:20 PM »

Among the European immigrants to the US, probably a split between working class "ethnics" and "liberal cosmopolitans."
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2020, 07:29:06 PM »

Among the European immigrants to the US, probably a split between working class "ethnics" and "liberal cosmopolitans."

Probably also an East/West split.  I am guessing most born in Western Europe unless they came as children voted for Biden, while most born in Eastern Europe went for Trump.  Even in Europe, polls showed in Eastern Europe many were rooting for Trump while in Western Europe Trump is pretty hated.  On a lot of cultural issues, the Iron Curtain still very much exists with areas East of it still quite conservative and areas West of it more liberal.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2020, 08:11:45 PM »

No doubt FSU immigrants definitely voted for Trump.  Not sure about Poles that came in the 80s and 90s.  Or those from the former Yugoslavia (did Trump get a boost from Slovenian Americans?)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2020, 08:14:05 PM »

No doubt FSU immigrants definitely voted for Trump.  Not sure about Poles that came in the 80s and 90s.  Or those from the former Yugoslavia (did Trump get a boost from Slovenian Americans?)

Bosnians probably went for Biden as Muslims while Kosovar Albanians for Biden too as it was Clinton who helped liberate Kosovo so Clintons are loved there (I have been there).  Area with largest concentration of Slovenians is Cleveland metro area and it appears Obama won them both times, but then they went for Trump both times, but most are 2nd, 3rd, or 4th generation, very few actually born in Slovenia.  Otherwise they voted same way Italians and other Eastern European groups did in Rust Belt and since many are white working class they swung from Obama to Trump.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies