Clarke and Oconee Counties, GA
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:51:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Clarke and Oconee Counties, GA
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Clarke and Oconee Counties, GA  (Read 446 times)
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 12, 2020, 07:14:52 PM »
« edited: December 12, 2020, 09:04:12 PM by Sol »

Why is there such a stark partisan divide between these two counties? Even with a massive swing this year, every precinct in Oconee voted Trump if Nytimes is to be believed. Meanwhile, all of Clarke County is Dem. Is the river a really stark dividing line?

Moreover, why exactly is Oconee so Republican? It's IIRC the most educated GOP county in the country. The most obvious parallel, Chapel Hill, has swingy-to-Democratic 'suburbs'--see northern Orange county or Chatham. Is this just a matter of Athens being a less-lefty/more Southern place?
I Stand With TRKL1917
Pineville Jeb
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 08:59:46 PM »

Why is there such a stark partisan divide between these two counties? Even with a massive swing this year, every precinct in Oconee voted Trump if Nytimes is to be believed. Meanwhile, all of Clarke County is Dem. Is the river a really stark dividing line?

Moreover, why exactly is Oconee so Republican? It's IIRC the most educated county in the country. The most obvious parallel, Chapel Hill, has swingy-to-Democratic 'suburbs'--see northern Orange county or Chatham. Is this just a matter of Athens being a less-lefty/more Southern place?

Oconee is far whiter. It's also not the most educated county in America. I think that's Arlington, VA.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 09:02:39 PM »

Moreover, why exactly is Oconee so Republican? It's IIRC the most educated county in the country. The most obvious parallel, Chapel Hill, has swingy-to-Democratic 'suburbs'--see northern Orange county or Chatham. Is this just a matter of Athens being a less-lefty/more Southern place?

Oconee is far whiter. It's also not the most educated county in America. I think that's Arlington, VA.

Miswrote, meant most educated Republican county.
forsythvoter

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 09:04:20 PM »

My perception, having only driven through the area a few times to see some UGA games, is that there seems to be a huge drop-off in density the minute you leave Clarke county. Oconee doesn't really feel all that suburban anywhere - it feels almost rural except for maybe a few areas literally bordering Clarke County (and sure enough, looking at the precinct maps, these are the most Democratic parts of the county). I would guess that the types that move to Oconee are the ones looking for more a country lifestyle, and therefore have more conservative politics in general.

Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 10:08:51 PM »

I lived in Athens for ~3 years.  It's much more Democratic than other Southern college counties for two main reasons:  a relatively high Black population (~28%) and a historic art/music scene that attracts a lot of "artist" and "hipster" types.  UGA is not really that liberal of an institution; "townies" in Athens is definitely to the left of "gownies."  Once you get in Oconee, you lose the hipster vibe really quickly. 

And I'm really not surprised how OC votes:  Southern, college-educated Whites outside of major metro areas are reliably Republican.  Athens is the aberration for how unusually Democratic it is, not Oconee.   
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 10:16:47 PM »

I lived in Athens for ~3 years.  It's much more Democratic than other Southern college counties for two main reasons:  a relatively high Black population (~28%) and a historic art/music scene that attracts a lot of "artist" and "hipster" types.  UGA is not really that liberal of an institution; "townies" in Athens is definitely to the left of "gownies."  Once you get in Oconee, you lose the hipster vibe really quickly. 

And I'm really not surprised how OC votes:  Southern, college-educated Whites outside of major metro areas are reliably Republican.  Athens is the aberration for how unusually Democratic it is, not Oconee.   

Meh, Chapel Hill and Charlottesville/Albemarle are further left
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies