How do we get liberals to move to MT/WY/ND/SD?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 01:03:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How do we get liberals to move to MT/WY/ND/SD?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: How do we get liberals to move to MT/WY/ND/SD?  (Read 2591 times)
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 24, 2020, 08:58:17 AM »

Y'all know none of the liberals who tweet about moving to Canada actually do, right?

The meme is overdone, but I know someone whose parents moved to Ireland because of Brexit. These people are out there.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2020, 10:45:05 AM »

Those are oil states, oil and gas is going obsolete to solar and electric and nuke energy helping us get around transportation wise

Plenty of wind turbines in SD/ND as well. It's very windy here.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2020, 10:57:54 AM »

Those are oil states, oil and gas is going obsolete to solar and electric and nuke energy helping us get around transportation wise

Plenty of wind turbines in SD/ND as well. It's very windy here.

Actually what they fear most is Elon Musk.  The quantities of corn that go towards Ethanol are mind numbing, plus it's where all the ethanol plants are. 
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2020, 11:05:58 AM »

Block new development and create a property tax system that creates a housing shortage, leading to a higher cost of living which encourages emigration from said states?
Eliminate housing in densely populated areas. Require 25% of food to be grown in same county.

Some housing would be torn down to make room for crops. Other would be reduced in density to reduce food demand.

Reduces building vulnerable to flooding due to sea rise. Takes CO2 out of air.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2020, 12:26:09 PM »

One of our long time residents suggested a few weeks ago that some rich person could build a bunch of houses and hand them out for free in these states that don't vote correctly.  But only to people from certain other states that are over populated with the "right kind of voter".

The fact that neither you nor he saw the problems with this is, well, telling.

Sounds like a flaw in the voting system, as opposed to the person proposing this.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2020, 12:39:00 PM »

Actually, if you were to pick out a state for this, then IA would be the obvious choice.  It has modest sized metro areas Des Moines-Ames, Cedar Rapids-Iowa City that are already growing,  young and vote D but are outvoted by the elderly dying rurals.  Accelerate the growth there while Gov Reynolds accelerates the die off of the rural elderly and you have another Minnesota or Illinois.  Sure the rurals in Dung Hump, IA will jump up and down and say they want to secede (see rural VA, CO, OR, WA)  and you'll have those here that say "but think of the rurals" but F them.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2020, 02:09:14 PM »

My grandmother, who lives in Louisiana and watches a ton of Fox, apparently is considering moving to South Dakota due to Noem's constant advertisements there. I'd be willing to bet she has a higher approval rating in Louisiana than South Dakota, to be honest. Anyway, why not try something similar for at least Montana and Alaska? They might have the numbers to gain the governorship or something in the near future and could encourage MSNBC viewers in Cali to move there for the nature or something. It's also helpful that neither state is blood red in the status quo so it wouldn't really be that heavy of a lift.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2020, 02:17:48 PM »

Actually, if you were to pick out a state for this, then IA would be the obvious choice.  It has modest sized metro areas Des Moines-Ames, Cedar Rapids-Iowa City that are already growing,  young and vote D but are outvoted by the elderly dying rurals.  Accelerate the growth there while Gov Reynolds accelerates the die off of the rural elderly and you have another Minnesota or Illinois.  Sure the rurals in Dung Hump, IA will jump up and down and say they want to secede (see rural VA, CO, OR, WA)  and you'll have those here that say "but think of the rurals" but F them.

I don't know why you have to be a complete dick while expounding the idea, but the basic gist of it makes sense.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2020, 03:08:33 PM »

I've thought about this a bit since the election (as I do after every election), and I feel that a better course of action than moving liberals to Wyoming is to try to get the LDS to switch to being a Democratic voting bloc: LDS block-voting GOP isn't set in stone: UT & ID were swing states until the mid-20th century, and it's obvious many are uncomfortable in the Trumpist GOP. This would flip the Senate seats in UT & ID and shore up the ones in NV & AZ.

On the other hand, MT & AK could probably be flipped by moving in Californians (or Coloradoans, who are more culturally compatible) because of legal marijuana and available job opportunities.

WY is probably impossible to flip due to its reliance on extractive industry and the lack of an existing urban center that can grow into a Las Vegas, Phoenix, or Denver. This could I suppose eventually happen at some point in the far future (Las Vegas was a small town until the 1950s), but even if it did, it would take decades to flip the state.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2020, 05:28:19 PM »

Actually, if you were to pick out a state for this, then IA would be the obvious choice.  It has modest sized metro areas Des Moines-Ames, Cedar Rapids-Iowa City that are already growing,  young and vote D but are outvoted by the elderly dying rurals.  Accelerate the growth there while Gov Reynolds accelerates the die off of the rural elderly and you have another Minnesota or Illinois.  Sure the rurals in Dung Hump, IA will jump up and down and say they want to secede (see rural VA, CO, OR, WA)  and you'll have those here that say "but think of the rurals" but F them.

as someone who lives there, its cold AF. It's not like Idaho where will it can be cold - you at least have mountains and outdoor stuff to do. At the same time though, I always think to myself "at least we aren't minnesota"
DS0816
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2020, 01:13:16 PM »

What have the Democrats offered to make it possible for them, in an election in which they prevail, to win over the likes of North Dakota and South Dakota?

Corporatism isn’t doing it.
Indy Texas 🇺🇦🇵🇸
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2020, 08:19:08 PM »

Economic development that is not related to natural resource extraction.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2020, 10:48:37 PM »

So for the people offended to the verge of tears at the fact this is even being discussed, where is the line?

• I donated to Ossoff and Warnock - is that over the line? That's me influencing a race in a state where I don't live.
  • If I moved to Alaska, can I vote right away? Or is that inappropriate? Should I wait a little while and let the people who've lived in Alaska longer have all the power? When can I start voting?
  • What if I start a consulting firm in Wyoming and have to staff it with out-of-staters, the vast majority of which are young liberals (though it wasn't required in the hiring process)? Have I crossed the line?
  • There will never be a way to prove this, but without the people who've moved to Georgia and Arizona since 2016, Trump probably wins those states. And if you cut it off at 2010 instead of 2016, it's almost certainly true. Should Biden instruct his electors in those two states to vote for Trump? If we have tangible examples of this working on a (presumably) unintentional basis, why is so horrid to brainstorm whether it's feasible to nudge other, smaller states in the same direction?
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #63 on: November 26, 2020, 03:31:58 AM »

Didn't we just have this thread?
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #64 on: November 26, 2020, 03:53:13 PM »

Post a big buildboard in NYC, LA, San Fran and Seattle advertising the price of rent in those states and nothing else.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: November 26, 2020, 04:39:33 PM »

Actually, if you were to pick out a state for this, then IA would be the obvious choice.  It has modest sized metro areas Des Moines-Ames, Cedar Rapids-Iowa City that are already growing,  young and vote D but are outvoted by the elderly dying rurals.  Accelerate the growth there while Gov Reynolds accelerates the die off of the rural elderly and you have another Minnesota or Illinois.  Sure the rurals in Dung Hump, IA will jump up and down and say they want to secede (see rural VA, CO, OR, WA)  and you'll have those here that say "but think of the rurals" but F them.

as someone who lives there, its cold AF. It's not like Idaho where will it can be cold - you at least have mountains and outdoor stuff to do. At the same time though, I always think to myself "at least we aren't minnesota"

So are the Twin Cities and Chicago.  And while i don't visit Iowa in the winter, the Eastern part of the state does have some pleasant outdoor terrain/attractions. 
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies