Soooo we getting another history/fantastical history game goin at one point?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:50:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Soooo we getting another history/fantastical history game goin at one point?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Soooo we getting another history/fantastical history game goin at one point?  (Read 1775 times)
leonardothered
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2020, 01:27:27 AM »

Cheesy
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 01:56:37 PM »

Well recently I've been thinking of picking back up where we left off on my 1670s game, King and Country. I still have the results from the last unfinished turn and would really look forward to a rehost if any former or new players should be interested.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 03:17:57 PM »

For what it's worth - as I discussed with Wallace - I'd certainly be willing to support a King and Country continuation as a secondary mod when the time is right.

On a personal level I'm determined to host an 1861 American Civil War game in 2021, but it will be a while before I find enough time to do so.

(I'm not sure if its just me but the disastrous end to Game of Thrones left me uninterested in further ASOIAF games, which for the past five years was the main source of fantasy games)
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 03:31:08 PM »

For what it's worth - as I discussed with Wallace - I'd certainly be willing to support a King and Country continuation as a secondary mod when the time is right.

On a personal level I'm determined to host an 1861 American Civil War game in 2021, but it will be a while before I find enough time to do so.

(I'm not sure if its just me but the disastrous end to Game of Thrones left me uninterested in further ASOIAF games, which for the past five years was the main source of fantasy games)

What happened?
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 03:32:08 PM »

As always I'm interested in these games. They're plenty of fun.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 03:48:58 PM »

What happened?

What do you mean?
Dereich
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 04:14:03 PM »

One day we'll get The Winds of Winter and maybe ASOIAF games will return. One day. In theory
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 05:03:57 PM »

One day we'll get The Winds of Winter and maybe ASOIAF games will return. One day. In theory

Perhaps, but I'd be surprised if Martin's ending didn't contain some of the most important choices already shown in the series. No doubt the execution will be a million times better, but some of those outcomes - particularly the eventual monarch of Westeros - I find to be so frustrating that they give me little hope of a satisfactory outcome for the books.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2020, 05:10:22 PM »

What happened?

What do you mean?

Ohhhhh you mean the shows ending
I thought you meant there was a GoT game that went south

The ending was awful
But the books, particularly 2-4 are still amazing for games
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 05:15:16 PM »

What happened?

What do you mean?

Ohhhhh you mean the shows ending
I thought you meant there was a GoT game that went south

The ending was awful
But the books, particularly 2-4 are still amazing for games

Oh! No, the ASOIAF games were all brilliant. Some didn't reach an ending, but they've been among the best games on the board on account of character and narrative development as well as the usual military and intrigue shenanigans. They were also rather innovative too in terms of POV chapters as part of the game or "creative solutions" like what we did before we knew what the White Walkers actually were or the alt-history scenarios.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 05:34:06 PM »
« Edited: November 23, 2020, 05:39:48 PM by GoTfan »

I've been looking over some potential What-If scenarios to launch a new ASOIAF game. I do have a couple in mind, but not sure if they're realistic or not.

As for historical games, I have a few alternate history games in mind.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 07:29:17 PM »

I think relaunching the House Frey game would be interesting.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2020, 08:27:54 PM »

I hope to have a CoE style game starting early next year in an alt-1493 with a considerably different New World. I have the basic concept well in hand, but I want to do some research and image preparation ahead of time rather than trying to do it during the game.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 11:19:33 AM »

I'm open to either playing or hosting a new history game in the near future. I'm getting the itch again. I'm thinking something set around the turn of the century? Maybe the late 1880s, for a Scramble for Africa setting? Would there be interest?

I agree with Lumine on the point about ASOIAF games - it seems like they've run their course. Maybe it is because of oversaturation on the Boards or IRL factors, I'm not sure. But the playerbase just isn't there like it used to be. It was a fight to keep Death of the Stag going as long as I did.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 11:45:52 AM »

I'm open to either playing or hosting a new history game in the near future. I'm getting the itch again. I'm thinking something set around the turn of the century? Maybe the late 1880s, for a Scramble for Africa setting? Would there be interest?

I agree with Lumine on the point about ASOIAF games - it seems like they've run their course. Maybe it is because of oversaturation on the Boards or IRL factors, I'm not sure. But the playerbase just isn't there like it used to be. It was a fight to keep Death of the Stag going as long as I did.

If you hosted I'd certainly try to play, though I confess I'm a bit burned out on the XIX Century (for obvious reasons).

(As an aside, I have also developed a renewed interest on the Wars of the Roses, which has been raised before as a potential setting. I'd love to see something like that if anyone hosted a medieval game, or it could be an alternative to my Civil War project)
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 12:40:39 PM »

If you hosted I'd certainly try to play, though I confess I'm a bit burned out on the XIX Century (for obvious reasons).

(As an aside, I have also developed a renewed interest on the Wars of the Roses, which has been raised before as a potential setting. I'd love to see something like that if anyone hosted a medieval game, or it could be an alternative to my Civil War project)

Let me do some research into the War of the Roses and see if it’s something I could host. I have a basic, vague familiarity with it, but mostly from an English Lit perspective.
DKrol
dkrolga
YaBB God

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 02:15:13 PM »

For a Wars of the Roses game, when would be a better starting point:

August 1399: Henry Bolingbroke has returned from France to England, seemingly to claim the Dukedom of Lancaster, while King Richard II is fighting a campaign in Ireland.

May 1455: Richard of York has rallied nobles, the Earls of Salisbury and Warwick, to attack King Henry VI in an effort to remove corrupt influences on the King, led by his wife.

July 1460: The Earl of Warwick has just captured London with his army from Calais. The Battle of Northampton has not taken place yet but Warwick is on his way and Richard of York is in Ireland.

December 1460: Margaret of Anjou and her armies are rallied in the North of England, with Richard of York serving as Lord Protector and preparing to meet Margaret in the field of battle.

I'm more familiar with Elizabethan England and would also propose the following, an alternate take on the death of Elizabeth I:

March 1603: With Queen Elizabeth dead without an heir, five claimants have risen in Britain: King James VI of Scotland, William Stanley, Earl of Derby, Henry Percy, Earl of Northumberland, George Hastings, Earl of Huntingdon, and Infanta Isabella of Spain.

What is the preference/interest in any/all of these ideas?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2020, 07:54:02 PM »

1453-1455 would be an interesting setting as it's the start of the war, and one could also bring up 1470-1471 as another key Lancaster-York showdown. Have no knowledge on 1603, but it sounds interesting.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2021, 03:57:04 PM »

So with no active games, is anyone willing to let their game pushed to the backlog be tried in a short while? A new CoE? Something on ancient or modern events?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2021, 04:08:19 PM »

Would rather like to host the projects I outlined before, but won't be able to do so yet (actually starting to suspect I may not be able to do so while I'm GM in Atlasia).
Wikipedia delenda est
HenryWallaceVP
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 09:28:13 PM »

Well recently I've been thinking of picking back up where we left off on my 1670s game, King and Country. I still have the results from the last unfinished turn and would really look forward to a rehost if any former or new players should be interested.

3 months later, I reiterate this offer. I'm kind of at a writer's block in my historical timeline right now, but I'm feeling a lot of inspiration to take up this game again. If there is anyone with experience hosting who would like to help cohost, please let me know.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 09:30:52 PM »

3 months later, I reiterate this offer. I'm kind of at a writer's block in my historical timeline right now, but I'm feeling a lot of inspiration to take up this game again. If there is anyone with experience hosting who would like to help cohost, please let me know.

Sounds wonderful, but I have no experience cohosting so I'll refrain from saying anything. Would love to see Lumine, Dkrol, or someone of that stature cohost. Historical games are some of my favorites. They're just wonderful!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies