Why is it wrong to have a hostile view towards God and Christianity?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:48:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Why is it wrong to have a hostile view towards God and Christianity?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is it wrong to have a hostile view towards God and Christianity?  (Read 1333 times)
The Arizonan
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 05, 2021, 11:33:50 AM »

I was raised in the Roman Catholic faith and I’m one hundred percent certain that the institution is rife with hypocritical pedophiles who touch kids. Personally, I think God is ultimately responsible for all of the suffering in this world one way or another. If I had the capability to do so, I’d toss his useless butt into the next universe.

I don’t care if anyone has a problem with my views. They can go get bent.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 02:33:43 PM »

There's nothing wrong with this (in fact, it's correct), but the challenge is to prevent our hatred of the institution from spilling over into hatred of its followers. It's a known fact that antagonizing cult members only alienates them more, driving them deeper into the security of their group. Our job is to treat them with respect while simultaneously rejecting their views, beliefs, and attacks on personal freedom wholesale. We must also try to recognize when a belief crosses over from being benignly silly (most Christian denominations) into being actively harmful to its members and civilized society as a whole (Evangelical Christianity).
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 02:48:20 PM »

There's nothing wrong with this (in fact, it's correct), but the challenge is to prevent our hatred of the institution from spilling over into hatred of its followers. It's a known fact that antagonizing cult members only alienates them more, driving them deeper into the security of their group. Our job is to treat them with respect while simultaneously rejecting their views, beliefs, and attacks on personal freedom wholesale. We must also try to recognize when a belief crosses over from being benignly silly (most Christian denominations) into being actively harmful to its members and civilized society as a whole (Evangelical Christianity).
While I don’t believe in God, this is still the right answer. God as a character or real thing must go to the grave, metaphorically or otherwise. If the Aztec and Norse gods for the most part along with Typhon and Pan can be killed, along with the waning of their for the most part hostile theology, so too can the egotistical storm God of the Sinai Desert.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 03:30:50 PM »

No to the first, if you don't believe in god it's like shaking a fist at Zeus. To the second as an ideology yes you can.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 09:05:18 PM »

For one, if you don’t believe in any type of God, actively being mad at it makes you kind of a moron, lol.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 09:13:38 PM »

LOL.

Imagine being "hostile" toward a non-existent entity. 

That's like me being "hostile" and "angry" toward a can of Spaghetti-O's. 

It is quite illogical, and makes no sense.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 09:28:10 PM »

LOL.

So, either God is an inanimate object, or Spaghetti-O's are a work of fiction and don't exist.

Your analogy makes no sense.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 11:46:47 PM »

Anger is almost always a mask worn by pain. If you’re hurt, you can be honest about that. We aren’t uncompassionate people.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 12:47:12 AM »

LOL.

So, either God is an inanimate object, or Spaghetti-O's are a work of fiction and don't exist.

vitoNova is well-known for typing faster than he can think.
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 01:34:13 AM »

LOL.

vitoNova is well-known for typing faster than he can think.

This is extremely true.  I type sh**t from my brain with grammatical and spelling and logical errors.

I have to edit my poasts 10 times up in this biznitch. 
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 11:54:48 AM »

As a serious semi-answer to the OP (who doesn't seem to actually want to understand why it might not be ideal to be "hostile" but rather to have those who already agree with him make him feel better about being so...), here is my experience:

Some of my best friends are Atheists, and they are very smart people.  Much smarter than most of the yahoos here.  They all acknowledge a certain horizon of knowledge that none of us can know, and they're all humble enough to admit that there obviously could be some type of intelligence outside of the physical universe (a "God," if you will) and that they could never possibly know if that were the case or not.  After all, the alternative is that the material universe created itself, and that might seem just as unsatisfying to some scientifically minded people, such as one of my favorite physicists, Paul Davies.  This basic humility gives them enough perspective to not be actively "hostile" toward people who are not Atheists, including Christians, and it also allows them the mental capacity to distinguish between the idea of a higher intelligence/first cause of sorts (which would, by all accounts, fit the definition of a "God") and the various descriptions of such a deity by organized religions.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 09:40:29 PM »

Having a God-hating phase is pretty common I think, probably more than most Christians would like to admit publicly.  Hopefully you don't stay there though, it's better not to go through life with a hostile attitude to the Creator of the Universe.
John Henry Eden
Rookie
Uganda

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2021, 09:07:16 PM »

If hypocrisy of a few individuals is enough to invalidate an institution or belief system, then by that logic the entire tradition of secularism deserves to be chucked into the toilet.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2021, 05:21:57 PM »

If hypocrisy of a few individuals is enough to invalidate an institution or belief system, then by that logic the entire tradition of secularism deserves to be chucked into the toilet.

There isn't really "a" tradition of secularism, though, is there? Japan and China are both mostly irreligious societies, but the prevailing ideas about humanity, the cosmos, morality, etc. are very different between the two countries.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2021, 05:31:59 PM »

As Christians are wont to say, hate the sin, not the sinner. Tongue

Most Christians are good people (or at any rate not any different morally to the population at large), and adopting personal animosity towards this huge entire class of people is very unhealthy, but it’s perfectly alright to be angry at the Catholic Church as an institution if you feel some of its disgusting actions have failed you or your loved ones, or at the pernicious influence some denominations and churches exert on society and politics.
Erebus9
Rookie
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 03:55:42 PM »

Depends on your current religious views.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies