Opinion of Janet Yellen
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:19:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Janet Yellen
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Opinion of Janet Yellen  (Read 1202 times)
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 23, 2020, 08:16:19 PM »

FF.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2020, 08:17:41 PM »

FF.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2020, 08:26:32 PM »

Massive FF
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 11:39:01 PM »

HP advocate of austerity.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 07:53:04 AM »

Better than the alternative that could be given by the Rs.

Not that good however as Pyro notified.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 09:57:46 AM »

Major FF.

Would have preferred Warren as Treasury Sec, but Yellen is just fine.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 01:02:15 PM »

Unless I completely missed something in that text, nowhere does she "advocate" for austerity.

Pointing out that we are running up massive debts doesn't mean that she wants to gut social services, especially when a major driver of our deficit over the past 3 years has been tax cuts for the wealthy, or how defense spending will be over $100 billion higher in 2021 than it was in 2017.

Not all deficits are created equal, and the left's proposals for soaking the rich would also qualify "austerity" if you merely define "austerity" as not running up huge debts.

So far I haven't seen her advocate for slashing spending on social programs anywhere.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 02:41:28 PM »

Unless I completely missed something in that text, nowhere does she "advocate" for austerity.

Pointing out that we are running up massive debts doesn't mean that she wants to gut social services, especially when a major driver of our deficit over the past 3 years has been tax cuts for the wealthy, or how defense spending will be over $100 billion higher in 2021 than it was in 2017.

Not all deficits are created equal, and the left's proposals for soaking the rich would also qualify "austerity" if you merely define "austerity" as not running up huge debts.

So far I haven't seen her advocate for slashing spending on social programs anywhere.

This is not the moment for a deficit hawk. Working people are struggling on a fundamental level with wages stagnant and federal assistance totally MIA, while corporations have made like bandits in securing massive bailouts. That should be the focal point of the new administration's fiscal policy. Motioning toward an "unsustainable" debt under "current tax and spending plans" is the clearest red flag you're going to see at this stage from someone like Yellen. I'm not saying she's some sort of Bush-era fiscal conservative, but reports of Wall Street emitting a "Sigh of Relief" should tell you everything.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2020, 02:43:39 PM »

This is not the moment for a deficit hawk. Working people are struggling on a fundamental level with wages stagnant and federal assistance totally MIA, while corporations have made like bandits in securing massive bailouts. That should be the focal point of the new administration's fiscal policy. Motioning toward an "unsustainable" debt under "current tax and spending plans" is the clearest red flag you're going to see at this stage from someone like Yellen. I'm not saying she's some sort of Bush-era fiscal conservative, but reports of Wall Street emitting a "Sigh of Relief" should tell you everything.

Janet Yellen is hardly a deficit hawk.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2020, 03:04:35 PM »

Again, she's previously brought up concerns about the debt alongside fears of rising "entitlement spending".

“[T]he primary federal deficit in the United States is currently quite large. It’s around 2.6% of GDP, which is well above the level consistent with stability at anything near the current debt to GDP ratio, and it’s projected to rise much further as the population ages and entitlement spending rises relative to GDP. Absent changes in taxes or spending commitments, the U.S. debt to GDP ratio will rise very substantially in the decades ahead. I believe that needs to change to place the trajectory of the federal debt on a sustainable path over the long run.” - Source

Not to mention pro-labor orgs like Employ America fearing that the Yellen appointment would return us to a "90s formula" that prioritized deficit reduction. (Per Bloomberg)
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2020, 03:13:01 PM »
« Edited: November 24, 2020, 03:16:18 PM by Clarko95 »

So running massive deficits are okay even if they stimulate the bank accounts of the wealthiest and defense industry? Issuing $1.5 trillion in debt to redistribute it upwards through regressive tax cuts is fine because otherwise we're being a deficit hawk?

Like I said before, not all deficits are created equal. If we're running up huge debts to redistribute it to the wealthiest, that's a problem, because now we have huge debts that were put to unproductive uses, while people struggle like you said. We're supercharging inequality with the current taxation and spending plans, because it yields no return for society or the broader economy.

We're running the completely wrong kinds of deficits
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2020, 03:13:49 PM »

Again, she's previously brought up concerns about the debt alongside fears of rising "entitlement spending".

“[T]he primary federal deficit in the United States is currently quite large. It’s around 2.6% of GDP, which is well above the level consistent with stability at anything near the current debt to GDP ratio, and it’s projected to rise much further as the population ages and entitlement spending rises relative to GDP. Absent changes in taxes or spending commitments, the U.S. debt to GDP ratio will rise very substantially in the decades ahead. I believe that needs to change to place the trajectory of the federal debt on a sustainable path over the long run.” - Source

Not to mention pro-labor orgs like Employ America fearing that the Yellen appointment would return us to a "90s formula" that prioritized deficit reduction. (Per Bloomberg)

In many cases she’s just stating objective facts about the debt

Her actions as Fed Chair speak more loudly, and she’s hardly a hawk
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies