WANTED: new comptroller general
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:39:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  WANTED: new comptroller general
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WANTED: new comptroller general  (Read 496 times)
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2020, 02:26:49 PM »

So if you want to do a lot of math and are into details and all that this might be the job for you. Post here or let me know privately.
Pericles
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 02:33:54 PM »

Has Blairite become inactive? He hasn't disappeared from the forum, so hopefully sufficient effort has been made to reach out to him.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 03:03:03 PM »

Has Blairite become inactive? He hasn't disappeared from the forum, so hopefully sufficient effort has been made to reach out to him.
Continential
The Op
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -5.30

P P P

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 03:17:25 PM »

lfromnj's interested from a PM from a couple months ago, I'll PM him
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 03:25:55 PM »

Blairite has been inactive for months dating back to August/September. He didn't respond to several requests made by both DTC and I for budget adjustments and projections in the South. There was a monthly economic report that came out in September but to my knowledge it has been radio silence ever since.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 01:45:19 PM »

Blairite has been inactive for months dating back to August/September. He didn't respond to several requests made by both DTC and I for budget adjustments and projections in the South. There was a monthly economic report that came out in September but to my knowledge it has been radio silence ever since.
Can confirm this —FT has been trying to get budget numbers from Blairite as well, with no success.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 02:23:23 PM »

Requests for Lincoln Budget numbers were sent to Lumine and Blairite last night, hopefully one of them has the time to give a response.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 03:19:40 PM »

I'd be willing to offer my services if nobody else wants to. Could be a fun project, I can't promise I could commit to it indefinitely however.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 03:23:07 PM »

On the one hand, I am a Mathematics student and in general I like to do calculations.

On the other hand, I don't really need yet another excuse to miss university lessons and let my 'career' go sh**t.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 04:20:09 PM »

We need to require legislators to score their own bills
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 05:18:45 PM »

"Want to run for Lincoln Assembly Council? Please demonstrate your mathematical ability."

Yeah no.

Real life has the congressional budget office and it works

why we can't find someone who can be active no matter who is in power is beyond me.
Mike Thick
tedbessell
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -8.26

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 07:55:24 PM »

"Want to run for Lincoln Assembly Council? Please demonstrate your mathematical ability."

Yeah no.

why we can't find someone who can be active no matter who is in power is beyond me.

Because having a fake internet job where you do tons of math and don't get rewarded for it is boring lmao
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 09:18:50 PM »

Yeah no.

Because having a fake internet job where you do tons of math and don't get rewarded for it is boring lmao
Exactly. Hence why making that every job would be a disaster.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 09:21:31 PM »

To summarize a conversation I had earlier on Discord, this is an old problem, and legislative reform won't fix it. The practical solution as Ted says is for individual legislators to take on the burden themselves —but some people won't be up to that, while others will, so it's not a good idea to make a strict rule about it. There is always going to be this hole in the boat —we can't fix it, and we can't get a new boat, so we try to plug it up the best we can and keep going.

I will also point out that the budget process is much more important than the actual numbers themselves from a gameplay standpoint, so while of course we want to be realistic, it's okay if the math isn't exactly right.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 01:40:56 PM »

I was indeed contacted to help in the budgetary process, but as I mentioned in the Lincoln budget thread I'm both A. not legally allowed to take on duties which are explicitly given to the Comptroller General (unless I were to take a very broad and wide-ranging definition of the actual scope of my powers) and B. both not knowledgeable enough in economics and already rather overwhelmed with my present duties as it is, meaning I have a substantial GM backlog still to address (which I probably won't be able to for a few days yet).

I would like to say I think the existence of the position is a very positive thing - I would not have been able to take on the GM job if the Comptroller General wasn't a separate position -, but much like the actual GM office it does require a reasonably active and committed officeholder. Particularly because the office is bound to receive some rather daunting requests in terms of costing stuff or working on budgets.

There really isn't an immediate solution to this other than private initiative, Blairite returning to active duty or finding a new Comptroller General (which will take time due to the need for a confirmation), but it does raise once again the issue of how much the Game Engine depends on one or two individuals, which is obviously problematic.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies