Which will be the easier state for Republicans at the federal level going forward?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:07:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which will be the easier state for Republicans at the federal level going forward?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
New Hampshire

Maine

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 19

Author Topic: Which will be the easier state for Republicans at the federal level going forward?  (Read 449 times)
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2020, 01:57:00 PM »

Prior to this election, NH was widely considered a far more competitive state than ME. Yet, this was the first election since 2004 in which NH trended D, and it also had a stronger D swing (7.01% so far) than ME (5.74%). The Democratic percentage of the vote was almost identical in both states, however (Biden received 52.86% in NH, 52.89% in ME).

While ME's long-term Republican trend may be less dramatic than some of us (including myself) expected, I still think it’ll be more fertile ground for the GOP in future elections, certainly at the federal level (maybe with one or two exceptions like Sununu in 2022). The D margins out of the Portland area/Cumberland County and a potential long-term trend in Bangor should concern ME Republicans, but even though Trump won ME-02, Democrats are still very reliant on rural/small-town strength in ME whereas I feel like NH is more susceptible to some of the cultural influences and demographic shifts that turned VT/MA into 65%+ D bastions. Virtually every region in NH (not just historically more R parts of the state along the MA border, but even areas in which Republicans had been making some inroads before this election, e.g. some of the counties bordering VT and the North Woods) trended D this year. I think Republicans have a much more reliable base of support to build on in ME, regardless how fast improvements actually occur.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 02:07:38 PM »

Easily Maine and it's not close. I was surprised at just how well Democrats did in both states this year, but the answer is still Maine. I agree with your comparison of NH to VT and MA, and I think as the years pass we will see Maine become a swing state (and probably Lean R) as NH becomes a safe state.
Catalyst138
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 02:25:09 PM »

I think Maine will be kind of like Minnesota (but not as extreme) where the Second District rural areas are trending R but the more urban First District is trending D, keeping the GOP from winning it even with their new gains.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 03:53:45 PM »

Tough to say, but considering the wealthier suburbs in the south of NH, probably Maine.  And Biden was uniquely strong with northern whites.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies