Majority of Illinois state house has declared they will not support Madigan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:56:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Majority of Illinois state house has declared they will not support Madigan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Majority of Illinois state house has declared they will not support Madigan  (Read 652 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 19, 2020, 05:42:16 PM »

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics/ct-michael-madigan-illinois-democrats-20201119-nnfoomr55vgf7d6wjurbt7sq2e-story.html

Three more Illinois House Democrats and one Democratic representative-elect said Thursday they won’t support Madigan for another term as speaker. When added to the Democrats who have already indicated they won’t support him, Madigan is short of the 60 votes he needs to add another term to his decadeslong grip on the position.,

End of an era?

I doubt it, he can bribe again.

S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2020, 05:44:10 PM »

It would be a shame if he was thrown out. These Chicago Democrats are especially ridiculous, what are they thinking? If the downstate ones can tolerate him, then the Chicago ones should too.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2020, 05:46:12 PM »

A lot of Atlas users here want Madigan to stay because he is the Democratic McConnell

I don't think Madigan goes anywhere
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2020, 06:25:49 PM »

Good
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2020, 07:11:08 PM »

I've always told conservatives in Illinois, be careful what you wish for.  He holds back some of the worst instincts in the Illinois Democratic Party.  Whatever replaces him will be worse.  A lot of the democrats here will be giddy for that very reason.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2020, 08:48:15 PM »

Madigan's historically been a double edged sword for the GOP. Historically he did hold back the excesses of the left as he looked to maintain a coalition that included many blue dog downstate areas. Those areas have been largely ceded to the Pubs while the Dems make inroads throughout the Chicago second ring of suburbs. Perhaps that's why he didn't hold back as much against the left during the Pritzker administration.

On the other hand, every Pub candidate in a remotely swingy district respects and often fears the Madigan ground game (Madigoons as they are lovingly called) and the money to back it on the air. It's not clear who could replace that level of generalship, and that would allow some Pubs to fight on less lopsided terms.

If he has given up on an agenda to maintain competitive downstate areas, then the sword may only have one side to show the GOP, and it's not one worth keeping.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 12:52:23 AM »

I have no particular dog in this fight; I'd like more progressive leadership in Illinois on the one hand, but on the other I'm not certain that anyone else has the skill or ruthlessness I want from the leader. I sort of think it's unlikely that Madigan doesn't somehow find a way back, though.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies