Solomon Islands to ban Facebook
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:59:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Solomon Islands to ban Facebook
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Solomon Islands to ban Facebook  (Read 656 times)
Lourdes
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2020, 01:37:40 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-pacific-solomonislands-facebook/solomon-islands-prepares-to-ban-facebook-after-government-criticism-on-platform-media-idUSKBN27X07V

The government, led by Prime Minister Manasseh Sogavare, told Reuters it would issue a formal statement on its decision later on Tuesday.

If the ban goes ahead, the Solomons would join only a handful of countries around the world, including China, Iran and North Korea, to actively restrict the world’s biggest social networking platform.

A Facebook Inc spokeswoman said the company was contacting the Solomons government to discuss the issue.

“This move will impact thousands of people in the Solomon Islands who use our services to connect and engage in important discussions across the Pacific,” the spokeswoman said.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 01:42:09 PM »

Authoritarian trash, their government better be booted next election.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 08:22:31 PM »

Solomon Islanders will just access Facebook via VPN wouldn't they?
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 08:42:59 PM »

I actually know some Solomon Islanders from when I was living in Taiwan, lol.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 07:37:45 AM »

Of course the above ignores the fact that banning Facebook - arguably the biggest source for alt-right poison on the planet - might actually be a *good* thing?

Twitter is in many ways awful, but can also be useful. Nobody actually *needs* Facebook.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 02:38:13 PM »

Of course the above ignores the fact that banning Facebook - arguably the biggest source for alt-right poison on the planet - might actually be a *good* thing?

Twitter is in many ways awful, but can also be useful. Nobody actually *needs* Facebook.
Are you actually going to argue this? Its obviously censorship, and their government was receiving a lot of criticism of Facebook. Its clear they care more about power than their people, and that this move was to silence them. This has nothing to do with the alt-right, how is that even relevant to the Solomon Islands? And I don't supported infringing on free speech because of people saying things I don't like. When you allow tyrants to take away people's fundamental rights, they're destined to take away your rights too.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 08:28:20 PM »

I was going to agree with you, but then you said Twitter can be useful.
CumbrianLefty
CumbrianLeftie
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 08:17:33 AM »

Are you actually going to argue this? Its obviously censorship, and their government was receiving a lot of criticism of Facebook. Its clear they care more about power than their people, and that this move was to silence them. This has nothing to do with the alt-right, how is that even relevant to the Solomon Islands? And I don't supported infringing on free speech because of people saying things I don't like. When you allow tyrants to take away people's fundamental rights, they're destined to take away your rights too.

My point is simply that FACEBOOK IS BAD. Nothing more.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 07:28:16 AM »

Look at China. They banned Winnie the Pooh as it was being used to criticize their government.
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 07:37:02 PM »

I see nothing wrong with this. Facebook is objectively a net negative for society. So is any other platform that allows the targeted dissemination of toxic misinformation.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 08:03:15 PM »

I see nothing wrong with this. Facebook is objectively a net negative for society. So is any other platform that allows the targeted dissemination of toxic misinformation.
Their government was being heavily criticized on the platform. They then moved to ban it. Is that not suspect to you?
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 07:04:04 PM »

My girlfriend will love this.

Facebook is ultimate trash.

All the ads now that are sponsored have 50 people saying the product being sold is the best in the world and that everyone loves it and recommends people buy it.

Now in some Facebook groups, you are not allowed to post with a 'groupie' following because of the fake following comments.

I know it is reflective of human nature, but there is an opportunity for someone else to enter the market with a better system than Facebook.

Glad one country is standing up and saying what it is.....horsesh**t.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies