Robert Kennedy Lives (Part 2)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:11:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  Robert Kennedy Lives (Part 2)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Robert Kennedy Lives (Part 2)  (Read 1551 times)
johnpressman
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 20, 2006, 01:11:04 AM »
« edited: June 20, 2006, 01:12:45 AM by johnpressman »

I saw a previous topic on this scenario, but I have a different take.  Time and time again I read that, had RFK lived, he would have been the 1968 Democratic Presidential Nominee.  This seems to me to be some form of revisionist history,

I was very into politics then, and, if my memory serves me correctly, it was widely thought that Kennedy's and McCarthy's campaigns were designed to stampede the convention, urging  the delegates to renege on their promises of support for LBJ's choice, Humphrey.

The primary system was not as widespread as it is today.   LBJ, a master politican and with the power of the Presidency behind him, sewed up the nomination  for Humphrey early on.  The party machinery, which were overwhelmingly old school pols beholden to Johnson, had no love for Kennedy and McCarthy, considering both outsiders.  Thus leaving the anti-war faction of the Democrats in the minority and split at that!

In addition, Kennedy's assasination fueled the frustration that led to the Chicago Riots. With RFK and McCarthy going to the convention looking for delegates, I cannnot envision the madness that happened in Chicago taking place.

Ergo, Humphrey wins the nomination anyway, loses to Nixon.  Kennedy runs in 1972 and loses. 1976?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies