Habsburgs vs Bourbons (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:00:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Habsburgs vs Bourbons (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
Habsburgs

Bourbons

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: Habsburgs vs Bourbons  (Read 3134 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« on: December 27, 2020, 07:29:22 AM »

I have no love lost for the Bourbons post-Louis XIII, but the Habsburgs were one of the most consistently evil force throughout European history (the Hohenzollerns got even worse once they became prominent, but that happened late enough that they probably still rank behind overall), so it's not a hard choice at all.

And yeah, Southern Italy has a lot of legitimate grievances to voice against their Northern brethren, but neo-Bourbonists are utter clowns.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 07:37:40 AM »

Also I'm gonna shamelessly use this thread as an excuse to repost a meme I made a while back I'm very proud of:

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 11:08:43 PM »
« Edited: December 27, 2020, 11:17:22 PM by Cosmopolitanism Will Win »

I have no love lost for the Bourbons post-Louis XIII, but the Habsburgs were one of the most consistently evil force throughout European history (the Hohenzollerns got even worse once they became prominent, but that happened late enough that they probably still rank behind overall), so it's not a hard choice at all.

And yeah, Southern Italy has a lot of legitimate grievances to voice against their Northern brethren, but neo-Bourbonists are utter clowns.

Do you know who historian Alessandro Barbero is? He once had a debate with some neo-Bourbonist "leaders" and absolutely destroyed them.

Holy sh*t. Shocked If I know him? I listen to every single talk by him that comes up on my Youtube feed! The guy is a legend, I've learned a lot from him. I'm even following a Barbero meme page on Facebook lmao Cheesy

And yeah, I've seen him epically own that neo-Bourbonist with facts and logic. Fascinating stuff. The audience was stacked against him though.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 02:07:40 AM »
« Edited: December 28, 2020, 04:22:21 AM by Cosmopolitanism Will Win »

Do you know who historian Alessandro Barbero is? He once had a debate with some neo-Bourbonist "leaders" and absolutely destroyed them.

Holy sh*t. Shocked If I know him? I listen to every single talk by him that comes up on my Youtube feed! The guy is a legend, I've learned a lot from him. I'm even following a Barbero meme page on Facebook lmao Cheesy

And yeah, I've seen him epically own that neo-Bourbonist with facts and logic. Fascinating stuff. The audience was stacked against him though.

Purple heart Purple heart Purple heart BEAUTIFUL!

I think I have watched all the videos of his conferences at Festival della Mente in Sarzana (Sarzana notoriously being just 10 km or so away from La Spezia, I have actually never went to the festival live). I also watched a still video that was a registration of his radio lessons about the Ottoman Empire... man, that was fascinating. Although probably nothing is as fascinating as the chronicle of Salimbene de Adam, what a f***ing legend.

My absolute favorite is his talk on Marc Bloch. I was more or less familiar with Bloch's political views and his role in the resistance, and vaguely familiar with his historiographic contributions, but he paints such a vivid picture of the man that has turned him into a personal hero of mine. In a similar vein I love what he had to say about Garibaldi - again I was broadly familiar but my understanding didn't scratch the surface of what a legendary badass he was. I've been promoting Garibaldi Day as an alternative to Columbus Day for years, and now I feel it more strongly than ever.

His series on the medieval mind is excellent too. It really got me into medieval history, which had long been a blind spot for me. I love the installment on Fra' Salimbene, but the other two are fascinating as well. It's a really well-done trilogy.

And yeah his radio series are excellent too - probably the most in-depth historical material you'll find anywhere on Youtube. I loved the one on the Ottoman Empire, but the one on Charlemagne and Frederick the Great Asshole were excellent as well.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies