AL-GOV 2022: Who should run?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:19:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  AL-GOV 2022: Who should run?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Assuming Ivey runs for re-election, who should the Democrats nominate?
State Rep. Richard Lindsey

Businessman Robert Kennedy Jr.

Sen. Doug Jones

Chief Justice Sue Bell Cobb

Selma Mayor Darrio Melton

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: AL-GOV 2022: Who should run?  (Read 3294 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 15, 2020, 05:37:01 PM »

I think Lindsey or Kennedy would be the best candidate, especially if Ivey has to go through a grueling primary.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2020, 06:02:50 PM »

They’re going to loose so just some sacrificial lamb who can loose with dignity
I need an explanation
Rookie
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2020, 06:23:36 PM »

Sue Bell Cobb
Terlylane
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 05:57:43 PM »

Ivey in.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/2021/06/02/alabama-gov-kay-ivey-seek-re-election/7504679002/
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2021, 06:26:39 AM »

Ivey in.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/story/news/2021/06/02/alabama-gov-kay-ivey-seek-re-election/7504679002/

Ivey probably breaks 60% this time. She fell under that mark in 2018 against Walt Maddox, who was the strongest conceivable candidate that Democrats could nominate that year. He narrowly won Tuscaloosa County against her, but nevertheless still lost by 19% statewide, showing again how tough Alabama is for Democrats now.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 07:04:20 AM »

Isn't Ivey so incompetent though that she didn't even participate in debates or anything? Like she wanted a written behind the scenes thing and when she had to actually go one-on-one with someone, she faltered and cancelled the debate?
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2021, 02:56:54 PM »

After Ivey’s vaccine comments, I imagine a major primary challenge is inevitable. She’s already being called a RINO anyways.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2021, 11:44:44 AM »

I have to say, I never thought Kay Ivey would be considered one of the saner Republicans, but here we are.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2021, 11:55:58 AM »

Roy Moore (R) vs. Jones (D).
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2021, 02:37:28 PM »

If Moore successfully primaries Ivey, I'm just gonna laugh.
TrumpBritt24
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2021, 03:15:14 PM »

If Moore successfully primaries Ivey, I'm just gonna laugh.

Don't underestimate the GOP's decay.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2021, 07:32:14 PM »

I have to say, I never thought Kay Ivey would be considered one of the saner Republicans, but here we are.

She's always come across as a bland, Generic R to me. She's in the same wing of the party as Richard Shelby, and is of the same generation as him. And like Shelby, Ivey is a former conservative Democrat.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2021, 08:23:19 PM »

Bell Cobb, but AL GOV is Safe R...

Unless Democrats mobilize a huge Black turnout like they did in AL-SEN 2017.....
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2021, 09:12:55 PM »

Ivey will be like 82 when her term is up.

Fun fact: This would be the longest consecutive term of any Alabama governor.

Ivey isn't a moderate Republican, she's just stayed the same and the rest of the GOP has committed Seppuku.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2021, 02:37:23 PM »

Kay Ivey still seems like a very unlikely governor, she seems more like a long-standing member of her local conservative association who held a seat on East Devon council. Anyway, it's hers to lose.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2021, 04:34:15 PM »

She's always come across as a bland, Generic R to me. She's in the same wing of the party as Richard Shelby, and is of the same generation as him. And like Shelby, Ivey is a former conservative Democrat.

Like (probably) a million other Alabama's voters. After all - it's not an coincidence, that in the past many Alabama's Democrats spoke of their party as "our (Alabama's) conservative Democratic party..."
Woody
SirWoodbury
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.48, S: 1.30

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2021, 12:23:12 PM »

Like (probably) a million other Alabama's voters. After all - it's not an coincidence, that in the past many Alabama's Democrats spoke of their party as "our (Alabama's) conservative Democratic party..."
And now they are happily away from that demonic-affiliated party.

The End
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2021, 12:30:13 PM »

That's true. Aside from Ivey and Shelby, both of Louisiana's Senators, Kennedy and Cassidy, are also former conservative Democrats. It will be an end of an era when all of the party switchers of the Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms model are no longer in office.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2021, 01:14:36 PM »

That's true. Aside from Ivey and Shelby, both of Louisiana's Senators, Kennedy and Cassidy, are also former conservative Democrats. It will be an end of an era when all of the party switchers of the Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms model are no longer in office.

It’s still somewhat of a mystery to me that they welcomed Shelby with such open arms into the GOP in 1994. Granted, the state was more competitive back then, but especially with hindsight, they could have done a lot better than Shelby in that seat. He’s certainly no Sessions in that he’s always had sincere conservative convictions even as a Democrat (his calculated voting record prior to his switch demonstrates that relatively well, and he’s always gotten along well with his Democratic colleagues).
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2021, 06:46:16 PM »

It’s still somewhat of a mystery to me that they welcomed Shelby with such open arms into the GOP in 1994. Granted, the state was more competitive back then, but especially with hindsight, they could have done a lot better than Shelby in that seat. He’s certainly no Sessions in that he’s always had sincere conservative convictions even as a Democrat (his calculated voting record prior to his switch demonstrates that relatively well, and he’s always gotten along well with his Democratic colleagues).

Wasn't Shelby one of the most conservative Democrats in the Senate before his party switch? In fact, I think he was actually the most conservative Democratic Senator, unless if I'm mistaken. And why do you think that him getting along with his Democratic colleagues is a bad thing? Shelby has always been a reliable Republican vote. He voted for Kavanaugh and Barrett, for the tax cuts, and against both of Trump's impeachments.

He's not like Romney, Murkowski, or Collins. I think that it's possible for a politician to be a staunch liberal or conservative, but still be able to get along well with their colleagues on a personal basis. And we've seen many instances of this being the case. I certainly don't want for there to be more politicians like Ilhan Omar or Marjorie Taylor-Greene in Congress.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2021, 11:06:11 PM »

Wasn't Shelby one of the most conservative Democrats in the Senate before his party switch? In fact, I think he was actually the most conservative Democratic Senator, unless if I'm mistaken. And why do you think that him getting along with his Democratic colleagues is a bad thing? Shelby has always been a reliable Republican vote. He voted for Kavanaugh and Barrett, for the tax cuts, and against both of Trump's impeachments.

He's not like Romney, Murkowski, or Collins. I think that it's possible for a politician to be a staunch liberal or conservative, but still be able to get along well with their colleagues on a personal basis. And we've seen many instances of this being the case. I certainly don't want for there to be more politicians like Ilhan Omar or Marjorie Taylor-Greene in Congress.

+101 (especially for last phrase).
JMT

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2021, 06:57:29 PM »

MargieCat
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2021, 07:27:33 PM »

I had heard that Trump was trying to convince her to primary Kay Ivey. I assume he endorses her as well. Trump does not like Ivey.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2021, 09:14:00 PM »

I had heard that Trump was trying to convince her to primary Kay Ivey. I assume he endorses her as well. Trump does not like Ivey.

I don't know why. Ivey is a Generic Republican, and has never criticized Trump, to my knowledge, or gone against the party. The only matter on which she deviated (like Richard Shelby), was to refrain from endorsing Roy Moore.
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2021, 09:19:06 PM »

I don't know why. Ivey is a Generic Republican, and has never criticized Trump, to my knowledge, or gone against the party. The only matter on which she deviated (like Richard Shelby), was to refrain from endorsing Roy Moore.

If she wins re-election next year, by the end of her next term, she would be 82 years old!
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies