Missile Test & U.S. Response to N. Korea
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:39:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Missile Test & U.S. Response to N. Korea
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: How should/will (respectively:) the U.S. respond to a nuclear test by N. Korea
No response

U.S. Economic Sanctions

U.N. Sanctions

Ground/Air War

Nuclear Retalliation

No response

U.S. Economic Sanctions

U.N. Sanctions

Ground/Air War

Nuclear Retalliation

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Missile Test & U.S. Response to N. Korea  (Read 5563 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2006, 11:22:00 PM »

Here's the latest NK news, w/ a prediction of a response (in bold and italics--added by me):

Bush, Koizumi warn N. Korea against launching missile

WASHINGTON (AP) — Side by side, President Bush and Japanese Prime Minister Koizumi warned North Korea on Thursday to cancel any plans to test-fire a long-range missile, with Bush bluntly calling a launch unacceptable and Koizumi hinting at the punishment that would result.
"The leader of North Korea is just going to have to make a decision," Bush said at a joint news conference with Koizumi that followed two hours of Oval Office discussions. "Does he want to be isolated from the world or is he interested in being an active participant in the nations of the world?"

DIPLOMATIC DUET: Bush, Koizumi sing in White House love fest | Video

Koizumi said he and Bush discussed what actions would be taken if Pyongyang followed through on its apparent preparations to launch a Taepodong-2, which has a range that could reach Alaska or perhaps the U.S. mainland.

"We would apply various pressures," Koizumi said through a translator. "I believe it is best that I do not discuss what specific pressures we were talking about."

From a South Lawn arrival featuring trumpet fanfare and canon fire to a gala black-tie dinner of Kobe beef raised in Texas, Bush and Koizumi celebrated five years of friendship. Koizumi leaves office in September, depriving Bush of one of his most ardent defenders on the world stage.

The prime minister is a huge fan of Elvis Presley, and Bush on Friday will take Koizumi to Memphis for a private tour of the late singer's estate, Graceland.

"Officially he's here to see the president," Bush said, "but I know the highlight of his visit will be paying his respects to the king." Bush gave Koizumi a juke box loaded with Elvis songs.

Koizumi had a line of his own ready: "Thank you very much, American people," he said at the end of the news conference, "for 'Love Me Tender.'"

At an East Room news conference, neither Bush nor Koizumi said what consequences North Korea might face for a missile test. Diplomatic condemnation is the most likely first response, followed by targeted economic sanctions and possibly a United Nations Security Council resolution. Japan has said it would consider food sanctions against North Korea, a stance that goes against U.S. policy.

Intelligence reports began detecting activity related to a test-firing about two weeks ago, and it remained unclear how far along the preparations are. Lt. Gen. Michael Maples, director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, said Thursday that "there are a variety of assessments as to whether a launch will occur and, if so, what type of launch it will be."

Bush demanded that North Korean leader Kim Jong Il let the world know his plans. "There have been no briefings as to what's on top of the missile. He hasn't told anybody where the missile's going," the president said.

He added: "Launching the missile is unacceptable."

The words on North Korea were about the only tough talk from Bush and Koizumi throughout a day of elaborate ceremony that put their virtually tension-free alliance — and their personal friendship — front and center.

Bush effusively applauded decisions under Koizumi's watch to lift a ban on U.S. beef imports, realign American troops in Japan and help confront North Korea over its nuclear weapons programs.

"You've had a remarkable tenure as the prime minister of your country," Bush said. "You have led with courage. You have made hard decisions. You've helped us change our relationship so that Japan and the United States will be able to work even closer together in the 21st century."

But it was Koizumi's decision to send Japanese troops to the U.S.-led coalition in Iraq that got the most attention from Bush. He was notably candid that the support shaped his positive view of the leader like nothing else.

For Koizumi's benefit, Bush reprised several times his take, now familiar to anyone who hears the president's speeches, on the transformation in the U.S.-Japanese relationship, from a time when the American president's father fought the Japanese to 60 years later when Bush and Koizumi collaborate on spreading democracy.

"It strikes me as just amazing," Bush said. "A lot of people take it for granted. I don't. Because 60 years ago, we were at war."
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2006, 01:43:30 AM »

North Korea vows nuke response to U.S. attack
Posted 7/4/2006 1:49 AM ET
  MISSILE CONCERNS MOUNT
 Washington warns N. Korea on 'provocative activity'
 SEOUL (AP) — North Korea vowed on Monday to respond with an "annihilating" nuclear strike if its atomic facilities are attacked pre-emptively by the United States.
The Bush administration responded sternly, saying while it had no intention of attacking, it was determined to protect the United States if North Korea launched a long-range missile.

"Should North Korea take the provocative action of launching a missile the U.S. would respond appropriately, including by taking the necessary measures to protect ourselves," State Department spokeswoman Julie Reside said.

Still, Reside said, the United States and other countries that have negotiated with North Korea are seeking a fundamentally different relationship with the reclusive regime. She said that relationship must be based on the complete and verifiable elimination of North Korea's nuclear weapons and nuclear program.

Undersecretary of State Nicholas Burns warned North Korea against firing the missile and urged the communist country to return to six-nation talks on its nuclear program.

"They have heard from just about everybody in the international community, including China, including Russia, that that would be not only extremely unwise, it would be opposed by all the countries in the world," Burns said in an interview with C-SPAN scheduled for airing Sunday.

"Our advice to the North Korea is to come back to the six-party talks," he added.

The six-party talks, suspended by North Korea, involved negotiations by the United States, China, South Korea, Japan and Russia with Pyongyang over the country's nuclear program.

The North's warning effectively stepped up its customary anti-U.S. vitriol, in which it often accuses Washington of plotting an attack. The North has recently come under heightened scrutiny after reports by the United States and Japan that it has taken steps to prepare for a test of a long-range missile.

The North's Korean Central News Agency, citing an unidentified "analyst" with the state-run Rodong Sinmun newspaper, accused the United States of harassing Pyongyang with war exercises, a massive arms buildup and increased aerial espionage by basing new spy planes in South Korea.

"This is a grave military provocation and blackmail to the DPRK, being an indication that the U.S. is rapidly pushing ahead in various fields with the extremely dangerous war moves," the dispatch said.

"The army and people of the DPRK are now in full preparedness to answer a pre-emptive attack with a relentless annihilating strike and a nuclear war with a mighty nuclear deterrent," the report said.

DPRK stands for the North's official name, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

The report concluded by urging the U.S. to "get out of South Korea promptly." About 29,500 U.S. troops are stationed in South Korea as a deterrent against the communist North.

On Friday, Pyongyang accused the United States of driving the situation on the Korean Peninsula "to the brink of war," and said it is fully prepared to counter any U.S. aggression.

Washington and Japan have said in recent weeks that spy satellite images show North Korea has taken steps to prepare a long-range Taepodong-2 missile for a test-launch.

Estimates for the range of the missile vary widely, but at least one U.S. study said it could be able to reach parts of the United States with a light payload.

Speculation that Pyongyang could fire the missile has waned in recent days, however, since the country's top ally and a major source of its energy supplies, China, publicly suggested North Korea should not to go ahead with the test.

A news report said Monday that China has offered a new proposal over the stalled six-party talks.

Chinese State Councilor Tang Jiaxuan told Ichiro Ozawa, the head of Japan's main opposition party, that China had relayed the proposal to Japan, the two Koreas, the United States and Russia, Kyodo News agency reported, citing party officials.

The report did not elaborate on the proposal. An opposition party spokesman in Tokyo could not be reached for comment. Ozawa is in Beijing for a six-day stay that party officials hope will include a meeting with Chinese President Hu Jintao, according to Kyodo.

The United States and its allies South Korea and Japan have taken quick steps over the past week to strengthen their missile defenses. Washington and Tokyo are working on a joint missile-defense shield, and South Korea is considering the purchase of American SM-2 defensive missiles for its destroyers.

The U.S. and North Korea have been in a standoff over Pyongyang's nuclear weapons program since 2002. The North claims to have produced nuclear weapons, but that claim has not been publicly verified by outside analysts.

While public information on North Korea's military capabilities is murky, experts doubt that the regime has managed to develop a nuclear warhead small enough to mount on its long-range missiles.

Nonetheless, Lt. Gen. Michael Maples, director of the Defense Intelligence Agency, told U.S. lawmakers last week that officials took the potential launch reports seriously and were looking at the full range of capabilities possessed by North Korea.
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2006, 06:25:13 AM »

"...if the reclusive communist country..."

North Korea isn't even communist-in-name anymore.

Okay, reculsive juche country. Big difference Tongue.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2006, 03:32:17 PM »

NBC just interupted--they tested!
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2006, 03:39:21 PM »

Landed 600km from the Japanese mainland.

It was not however, the long range missle that has been monitored.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2006, 03:44:52 PM »

Landed 600km from the Japanese mainland.

It was not however, the long range missle that has been monitored.

I know--but still, I find it very ironic that Kim did this on the 4th of July.  He is testing the U.S. and he's gonna find himself dead.Smiley

USA Today (Juno's homepage news) doesn't have a article yet.  Working on getting some details.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2006, 03:47:27 PM »

They just launched the intermediate ICBM.  It looks like it broke up or malfunction.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2006, 03:54:16 PM »

Wow, North Korea sure showed the Sea of Japan who is boss.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2006, 04:04:43 PM »

Wow, North Korea sure showed the Sea of Japan who is boss.

This might be hard for you grasp, but, if the get it working, it could land in your dorm room.  It won't hit my row house. 

Think about it.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2006, 04:11:44 PM »

Kyoto News reporting that a 4th short range missile launched.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2006, 04:16:29 PM »

I don't see why the United States could switch spending its resources on food production for the military budget and expect the world to support its population.

I advocate that the powers of the world offer to SELL North Korea food and oil, but we stop giving it to them.  North Korea is a small, poor country and yet has one of the largest militaries in the world, one MILLION soldiers.  Let North Korea realize the inherent contradiction of its policies when the hungry people revolt.

If China or Russia try to intervene and give North Korea supplies, I say we barter with them and basically buy the supplies before they reach the North Korean border.  This can be done directly with monetary transactions or with trade agreements.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2006, 04:23:24 PM »

US reaching ICBM launched--ABC reporting.  I believe 2-stage, but could be 3.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2006, 04:25:45 PM »

This is honestly amazing in my mind--I never really thought this would happen.  It was always back there in my mind and I was facinated w/ teh CMC (did a report on it), but never really thought something like that would happen in my life, and now it is.
Harry Hayfield
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 0.35

P P
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2006, 04:26:02 PM »

Information from CNN:

Four missiles launched (none reached land)

If you ask me this is just North Korea saying "Hey don't forget us" and the US will probably reply "I'm sorry, did somebody speak?"
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2006, 04:30:15 PM »

Information from CNN:

Four missiles launched (none reached land)

If you ask me this is just North Korea saying "Hey don't forget us" and the US will probably reply "I'm sorry, did somebody speak?"

The ICBM broke up 40 secs. after launch

NK is saying Bring it on, and the U.S. is gonna say, "Ya, here's what we have"-->BOOM!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2006, 04:31:46 PM »

Do people want me to start a new topic for NK, or just leave this one?  We should probably get it Stickied (but that's not necessary yet, since its at the top & 1/2 the forum is reading it--at least they were when I checked "Who's Online").
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2006, 04:35:40 PM »

I wish Kim Jong Il a happy 4th of July and good luck with his nuclear missle testing.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2006, 04:42:31 PM »

I wish Kim Jong Il a happy 4th of July and good luck with his nuclear missle testing.

Yeah, you're right.  Maybe we should show him how it's done.  Wink
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2006, 04:51:46 PM »

Guys, give Kim a break...he needs platform shoes for christsakes.

Ahah.

Don't waste a perfectly good weapon on Kim.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2006, 04:55:29 PM »

One of the short range missiles was aimed in the general direction of Japan; the other toward Russia.

The NK's might have destroyed the missile because it was heading for its own territory.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »

One of the short range missiles was aimed in the general direction of Japan; the other toward Russia.

The NK's might have destroyed the missile because it was heading for its own territory.

Are these people f'ing insane? Do they realize what the Russian retaliation would be if an ICBM hit their territory?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2006, 05:03:55 PM »

Are these people f'ing insane? Do they realize what the Russian retaliation would be if an ICBM hit their territory?

The ones aimed at Russia and Japan were the shorter ranged ones.

The don't understand the rules. 

I actually think this might be an "Actually.  Now that you mention it ...," moment.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2006, 05:11:04 PM »

Huh?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2006, 05:11:46 PM »

Ya, but he wouldn't be tall enough to see over the crowd of people watching our missile come in.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 04, 2006, 05:26:18 PM »

Huh?

Some missiles have a destruct mode for the early part of the flight; if the launch was bad, it might have been destroyed from the ground.  50 seconds isn't exactly a world record.

BTW, sticky this someone, at least for the next few days.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies