Why the hell is there so much scientism and futuristic dressings in US religions (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:28:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Why the hell is there so much scientism and futuristic dressings in US religions (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why the hell is there so much scientism and futuristic dressings in US religions  (Read 633 times)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« on: November 17, 2020, 05:16:37 PM »

I would posit that the fact that we inhabited a New World that had been entirely unknown to the Old, made us more receptive to the idea that there could be other words with sentient life.
Ok, but down in Mexico and other parts of Latin America SciFi isn’t very big. Canada also doesn’t have much in the way of a SciFi scene independent from the United States.

Canada doesn't have an independent Anglophone culture from that of the United States.  At most, it's a regional subculture, like Southern literature is a subculture.

Latin America went more for magical realism, which to a large degree reflects the syncretism of Catholicism and native religions.

Magical realism is really only an artistic movement though? (most prominent in painting, as well as in certain writers, most notably Gabriel García Márquez)

I actually did stucy magical realism a bit in high school; but it was on my Spanish literature classes and was described as just a literary movement whose biggest representative was Gabriel García Márquez (and indeed it also involved watching the horrible movie adaptation of Crónica de una Muerte Anunciada, though my brother instead did actually read another of his books in class: Relato de un Náufrago)

Not a religious thing though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies