There are 6.5 ex-Catholics in the US for every Catholic convert
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:29:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  There are 6.5 ex-Catholics in the US for every Catholic convert
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: There are 6.5 ex-Catholics in the US for every Catholic convert  (Read 3169 times)
PSOL
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2020, 05:56:48 PM »

What sort of "useful" answer are you looking for? There's no significant trend of working-class Americans converting to Sikhism or Judaism or Wicca. There is a trend of people drifting away from their churches.
Is there nothing out there yet?
There's Qanon.
Heh, no I mean an “established” religion widely viewed as one, specifically not tied to the Abrahamic tradition.

But, if I can ask, why is an atheist like you so fixated on this topic? That's what I find quite bizarre about this exchange.
Why would one care? This board’s purpose is to ask all questions on R&P under the sun after all.

What I meant is that I find weird that an atheist would find the answer "the only significant thread is towards non-religiosity" (which is the most correct one) unsatisfactory.
This was based on a previous curiosity of what a second “Great Awakening” might look like if Christianity actually faced competition.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2020, 05:58:08 PM »

There's not one. Not sure what the "yet" is supposed to imply — no reason to assume there has to be one. Lots of people have left their faith and aren't searching for another.
Well I’m asking now what religious traditions outside the mainstream Abrahamic canon is attracting working class converts. Wicca? Baha’i? Possibly even Neopaganism?
The only significant trend is people abandoning their churches and not gravitating toward anything at all. I'm not sure why this is not a satisfactory answer for you!
Well, this question is about hypotheticals, I don’t believe most people now have the mental thought processes to be resistant against conversion to another religion.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2020, 05:59:55 PM »

There's not one. Not sure what the "yet" is supposed to imply — no reason to assume there has to be one. Lots of people have left their faith and aren't searching for another.
Well I’m asking now what religious traditions outside the mainstream Abrahamic canon is attracting working class converts. Wicca? Baha’i? Possibly even Neopaganism?
The only significant trend is people abandoning their churches and not gravitating toward anything at all. I'm not sure why this is not a satisfactory answer for you!
Well, this question is about hypotheticals, I don’t believe most people now have the mental thought processes to be resistant against conversion to another religion.

Except the data shows they are. People who abandon religion are not likely to pick it up again.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2020, 06:23:25 PM »

Except the data shows they are. People who abandon religion are not likely to pick it up again.
With the serious societal shifts we are seeing, things could rapidly change.
wimp
themiddleman
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2020, 11:05:00 PM »

Not sure if it counts as a religion, but it did seem like "Wokeism" fit that definition back in June, however it seems to have faded a bit since then.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2020, 11:52:22 PM »

What I meant is that I find weird that an atheist would find the answer "the only significant thread is towards non-religiosity" (which is the most correct one) unsatisfactory.
One ought to distinguish from the atheists and the irreligious. The irreligious is rarely, if ever, hostile to religion as a whole. They express, on occasion, a vague hostility to some vague organized religion - a sentiment that really means that they don’t like what they associate organized religions with, rather than that they desire an anarchic religion. The irreligious, indeed, have some hostility to atheism, and they are generally interested in religion as a whole, especially curious about new religious movements.

I would perhaps identify PSOL with the irreligious, at least to some degree.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2020, 03:09:44 AM »

One ought to distinguish from the atheists and the irreligious. The irreligious is rarely, if ever, hostile to religion as a whole. They express, on occasion, a vague hostility to some vague organized religion - a sentiment that really means that they don’t like what they associate organized religions with, rather than that they desire an anarchic religion. The irreligious, indeed, have some hostility to atheism, and they are generally interested in religion as a whole, especially curious about new religious movements.

I would perhaps identify PSOL with the irreligious, at least to some degree.

I only called him an atheist because he identified as such in another recent thread.

Funnily your definition of "irreligious" describes 16- or 17-year old myself pretty well.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies