PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:03:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 139 ... 244
Author Topic: PA-SN 2022 megathread: Shrek vs. The Wizard of Oz  (Read 282960 times)
soundchaser

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.26

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3325 on: August 16, 2022, 10:51:40 AM »

That supermarket ad is one of the most embarrassing missteps by a campaign in recent memory. Talk about falling right into the narrative set for you.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3326 on: August 16, 2022, 11:01:45 AM »

soundchaser

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3327 on: August 16, 2022, 11:04:13 AM »

"I'm not a witch" also came to mind (although that race was arguably less winnable).
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #3328 on: August 16, 2022, 12:47:09 PM »

"I'm not a witch" also came to mind (although that race was arguably less winnable).

What are these from? I know Land was the 2014 Michigan nominee
SnowLabrador
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3329 on: August 16, 2022, 12:50:48 PM »

It's hard for me to see Fetterman winning by more than 2-3 points, and I still think there's a good chance he comes up short. Oz is a terrible candidate, but the Land comparisons are ridiculous.
Pink Panther

« Reply #3330 on: August 16, 2022, 12:52:14 PM »

The "I'm not a witch" refers to Christine O' Donnell and an ad where she tries to disprove rumours that she practiced witchcraft. As you could guess, it bombed and became one of the most infamous ads in American History.
soundchaser

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3331 on: August 16, 2022, 12:52:42 PM »

Land's 2014 "Really?" ad was notoriously awful and probably cost her the race.

Christine O'Donnell decided to face accusations that she had dabbled in witchcraft as a teen head on. It didn't end well.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #3332 on: August 16, 2022, 12:59:19 PM »

Land's 2014 "Really?" ad was notoriously awful and probably cost her the race.

Christine O'Donnell decided to face accusations that she had dabbled in witchcraft as a teen head on. It didn't end well.

who in their right mind would approve these ads Huh
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3333 on: August 16, 2022, 01:10:36 PM »

It's hard for me to see Fetterman winning by more than 2-3 points, and I still think there's a good chance he comes up short. Oz is a terrible candidate, but the Land comparisons are ridiculous.

You really don't understand how bad this video is for Oz then.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #3334 on: August 16, 2022, 01:16:23 PM »

There’s no way Fetterman wins by as much as Peters did in 2014, though it really does look like Oz could lose even in a great year for Republicans. Not moving this out of the Toss-Up column unless the state of the race doesn’t improve for Oz in October (which I think it will, at least a bit), but I didn’t imagine Oz would be doing this badly.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #3335 on: August 16, 2022, 01:30:14 PM »

Leave it to Atlas posters to wish-cast even in a race that's going well for them.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3336 on: August 16, 2022, 01:45:23 PM »

There’s no way Fetterman wins by as much as Peters did in 2014, though it really does look like Oz could lose even in a great year for Republicans. Not moving this out of the Toss-Up column unless the state of the race doesn’t improve for Oz in October (which I think it will, at least a bit), but I didn’t imagine Oz would be doing this badly.

I'm genuinely curious though, other than some GOPers coming home to Oz, which I agree is likely, what else is likely to change for Oz's favor though that hasn't already?

Objectively, things have only gotten worse for him as time has gone on, so what is supposed to change between now and November?

My point is that things can always go either way bc anything can happen, but the deeper we get into midterm season, this excuse of "well things can always snap back for Rs!" gets less and less likely as we're now out 3 months from the primary itself and things have gotten worse, not better.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3337 on: August 16, 2022, 02:09:02 PM »

Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3338 on: August 16, 2022, 02:13:20 PM »

I'm genuinely curious though, other than some GOPers coming home to Oz, which I agree is likely, what else is likely to change for Oz's favor though that hasn't already?

Objectively, things have only gotten worse for him as time has gone on, so what is supposed to change between now and November?

My point is that things can always go either way bc anything can happen, but the deeper we get into midterm season, this excuse of "well things can always snap back for Rs!" gets less and less likely as we're now out 3 months from the primary itself and things have gotten worse, not better.

I’m guessing that some voters who don’t like Oz will hold their nose and vote for him to give Republicans the Senate. Not saying it’ll be enough for him to win, but I think a big margin for Fetterman just isn’t that realistic in this environment, and that this race is probably going to end up being at least somewhat close.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3339 on: August 16, 2022, 02:16:04 PM »

I’m guessing that some voters who don’t like Oz will hold their nose and vote for him to give Republicans the Senate. Not saying it’ll be enough for him to win, but I think a big margin for Fetterman just isn’t that realistic in this environment, and that this race is probably going to end up being at least somewhat close.

What is "this environment" though? We're looking at a neutral environment as of right now, so I mean I'm not saying I expect Fetterman to win by 10, but I don't think we can use the 'environment' argument as much as maybe two months ago given that the environment itself is pretty close to = for both sides, give just how much the GOP is imploding upon itself with better news for Ds in different areas
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #3340 on: August 16, 2022, 02:26:59 PM »

What is "this environment" though? We're looking at a neutral environment as of right now, so I mean I'm not saying I expect Fetterman to win by 10, but I don't think we can use the 'environment' argument as much as maybe two months ago given that the environment itself is pretty close to = for both sides, give just how much the GOP is imploding upon itself with better news for Ds in different areas

I’m skeptical that the environment will be neutral in November. However, even assuming an even GCB, I’d expect Republicans to narrowly win a generic D vs. R race. Oz seems set to underperform a generic R by several points, but to me, that would imply a 3, maybe 4-point win for Fetterman rather than a mid-high single digit win.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3341 on: August 16, 2022, 02:32:40 PM »

You are missing the point — I didn’t mean to imply that Fetterman will win by a margin comparable to Peters's (although I definitely disagree with the idea that this race is guaranteed to be close and that Oz will remain in contention no matter what), but to add to what soundchaser/other posters already alluded to: When you really wish to combat a powerful narrative like this, it’s do or die and you absolutely have to know what you’re doing while being aware of the risk. If you don’t, chances are that your attempt will absolutely blow up in your face and reinforce your opponent's narrative more than any of your opponent's ads could have done. Voters don’t blindly trust negative ads, but you can’t explain away your own actions/words.

There’s a reason why many campaigns steer clear of anything which would even entertain their opponent's narrative (even when there might be an opportunity to weaken/lay it to rest, the risks are simply too high) and instead try to create a more powerful narrative in the hope that theirs wins out. In Oz's case, this should be easy — focus on Fetterman being out of touch with PA on the issues and a vote for Biden/Sanders. Humanizing Oz would be a welcome byproduct along the way and could be done - for instance - by articulating his own positions/vision, but (a) he almost never does that, and (b) it should definitely not be the main focus of their campaign, especially of one this clumsy. This should be all about nationalization but it’s clearly turned into an absolute meme-tier campaign.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3342 on: August 16, 2022, 02:38:05 PM »

You are missing the point — I didn’t mean to imply that Fetterman will win by a margin comparable to Peters's (although I definitely disagree with the idea that this race is guaranteed to be close and that Oz will remain in contention no matter what), but to add to what soundchaser/other posters already alluded to: When you really wish to combat a powerful narrative like this, it’s do or die and you absolutely have to know what you’re doing while being aware of the risk. If you don’t, chances are that your attempt will absolutely blow up in your face and reinforce your opponent's narrative more than any of your opponent's ads could have done. Voters don’t blindly trust negative ads, but you can’t explain away your own actions/words.

There’s a reason why many campaigns steer clear of anything which would even entertain their opponent's narrative (even when there might be an opportunity to weaken/lay it to rest, the risks are simply too high) and instead try to create a more powerful narrative in the hope that theirs wins out. In Oz's case, this should be easy — focus on Fetterman being out of touch with PA on the issues and a vote for Biden/Sanders. Humanizing Oz would be a welcome byproduct along the way and could be done - for instance - by articulating his own positions/vision, but (a) he almost never does that, and (b) it should definitely not be the main focus of their campaign, especially of one this clumsy. This should be all about nationalization but it’s clearly turned into an absolute meme-tier campaign.

Not just a meme-tier campaign, but this is probably the most local campaign in the country. At least the most competitive one. This race is all about PA at the moment. Not just Oz's NJ ties, but this video - Oz filmed it a local PA supermarket chain and part of the reason why it's so bad for him is that it reinforces not only the narrative that he's out of touch, but that he is not a Pennsylvanian, and does not care to be one either. He couldn't even be bothered to film this video a second time to get the damn store name correct, which to me purposely encapsulates his total non-care about Pennsylvania. He's set himself up nearly every step of the way.

If you don't even care to get the name of a local supermarket chain right, why should Pennsylvanians think you would care about them and our state? It's a metaphor more than anything.

At this point, I don't see how Oz genuinely can argue that Fetterman is the one "out of touch" with Pennsylvania.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #3343 on: August 16, 2022, 03:30:25 PM »

free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3344 on: August 16, 2022, 04:25:19 PM »

It's just amazing stuff. I couldn't even imagine the reaction if some carpetbagger came into NH or MA and couldn't even figure out what Market Basket was.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3345 on: August 16, 2022, 04:43:07 PM »

It's just amazing stuff. I couldn't even imagine the reaction if some carpetbagger came into NH or MA and couldn't even figure out what Market Basket was.

It's the type of stuff that only resonates with people who are living here, something that national DC pundits may not get. But people locally, like you talked about in NH or MA, it's a big deal. But given that PA is the 4th in the country for people who still live here that were born here, there is a lot of state pride no matter who you are (D or R). It was bad enough that Oz thought he could swoop in from another state and buy the seat, but then not even bothering to try and get simple local PA-isms right is just... another level. Totally egregious.

This tweet was illuminating too as to who is helping him run this "campaign":

Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #3346 on: August 16, 2022, 05:03:18 PM »

"It works on so many levels!"

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3347 on: August 16, 2022, 05:03:27 PM »

Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #3348 on: August 16, 2022, 05:10:02 PM »

On the plus side I now know what "crudité" is. Never to old to learn something new.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #3349 on: August 16, 2022, 06:39:36 PM »

Oz is spiraling

Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 139 ... 244  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies