2020 Nebraska Redistricting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:38:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  2020 Nebraska Redistricting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2020 Nebraska Redistricting  (Read 6812 times)
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« on: September 08, 2021, 11:48:53 AM »

Ooh, an official dummymander out in the wild. Don't see that too often.

NE-02 in the GOP map would still be Biden +6 in 2020, Trump +3 in 2016, and NE-01 would be Trump +11 in 2020, Trump +18 in 2016. As a liberal, I would be so owned if Republicans passed that map.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 01:41:28 PM »

I find the confidence with which people here and on Twitter are suggesting that a 2020 Trump+double-digit seat is a "dummymander" to be very weird. Literally sixteen points right of the United States; this is only a dummymander in a scenario where Republicans are getting apocalyptically destroyed in a way they haven't been since 1974, or if there's a huge realignment such that literally every map enacted this cycle becomes a "dummymander".

At the same time I have no idea why they're drawing incredibly tortured lines to move NE-2 from Biden+7 to (...checks notes) Biden+6? This plan is "status quo but with way uglier lines for some reason".
Ask Arkansas Democrats how drawing a map that assumes a 7 point swing over four years to the opposing party won't be repeated ends up.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2021, 12:34:30 PM »

Both NE and ME should get rid of the split electoral votes, it's bad politics and will tear this country apart if other states try it.

I don't get this. What's so bad about the Maine and Nebraska method? We're already atrociously divided as it is, but why would adopting that method in more states make it worse? The way I see it, adopting that method increases the likelihood that presidential candidates, in the fall election, will campaign in more states. Nebraska would likely never be visited at all by Democrat nominees if the state didn't use the congressional district method. If California were to adopt the district method, then Republican nominees would have a good reason to spend a lot of time campaigning there, instead of writing the whole state off. What arguments outweigh that consideration?
Republicans could implement it in rapidly D trending states like Georgia and Texas, creating a situation where a Democrat could win the state but get a minority of electoral votes from it due to gerrymandering, further biasing the electoral college against Democrats. Democrats wouldn't be able to repeal it until they got a trifecta.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies