2020 Nebraska Redistricting
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:44:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  2020 Nebraska Redistricting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: 2020 Nebraska Redistricting  (Read 6694 times)
kwabbit

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 12, 2020, 01:43:35 AM »

There was a thread, but it's been untouched since 2011. A fresh thread seems appropriate.

To me, Nebraska's redistricting is among the more interesting possibilities. It has just 3 congressional districts, but NE-02 has become a presidential battleground.

As far as I know, Nebraska prohibits redistricting with partisan intent, but I wonder how far can this be tested. It would be easy for the GOP to create 3 Republican districts. As it stands it's 2 safe R and one tossup. But it could easily be 1 safe 2 likely R if the GOP decides to split Douglas county.
avishwanath28
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 11:38:08 AM »

Part of the problem here is that Nebraska's legislature requires 2/3rds of a vote to end debate. Republicans did not meet that threshold, so they will need Democratic votes for any map (unless they nuke the filibuster like our Senate might). But yes, if they do that, it's pretty easy to split Douglas County. Send one district up north, one south, and leave NE-03 as is. Or you can put Lincoln in NE-03 and then you'd have three safely Republican seats.
kwabbit

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 01:22:08 AM »

Part of the problem here is that Nebraska's legislature requires 2/3rds of a vote to end debate. Republicans did not meet that threshold, so they will need Democratic votes for any map (unless they nuke the filibuster like our Senate might). But yes, if they do that, it's pretty easy to split Douglas County. Send one district up north, one south, and leave NE-03 as is. Or you can put Lincoln in NE-03 and then you'd have three safely Republican seats.
NE-02 voted almost 10 points to the right of the nation back then. Given that it's now in line with the nation and could decide a presidential election, there's much more incentive to gerrymander it.

I also thought Nebraska had a non-partisan legislature. Is there a way to know if they are D or R?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 01:25:31 AM »

NE-02 voted almost 10 points to the right of the nation back then. Given that it's now in line with the nation and could decide a presidential election, there's much more incentive to gerrymander it.

I also thought Nebraska had a non-partisan legislature. Is there a way to know if they are D or R?

There are but there are literal RINOs

https://johnmccollister.com/

"Republican Redefined "

"The Republican case for bold action on climate change"

"The Conservative Case for Unions"

Im sure this dude will totally split Omaha.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.00, S: 6.00

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2020, 04:22:35 AM »

"Republican Redefined "

do they need the vote of the most liberal member of their caucus?
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2020, 06:03:13 AM »

"Republican Redefined "

Why can't all Republicans be like this?   Cry
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2020, 10:04:01 AM »
« Edited: November 13, 2020, 10:14:38 AM by lfromnj »

"Republican Redefined "

They would need to repeal the filibuster too, although it isn't fully non partisan, the non partisan nature of the NE legislature means they really don't care about the national GOP too much. It basically comes down to how much Pete Ricketts is willing to push the legislature and they aren't great buddies either.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2020, 12:56:29 PM »

"Republican Redefined "

They would need to repeal the filibuster too, although it isn't fully non partisan, the non partisan nature of the NE legislature means they really don't care about the national GOP too much. It basically comes down to how much Pete Ricketts is willing to push the legislature and they aren't great buddies either.

Also, remember that, while the Maine Dem trifecta can't gerrymander ME-02 due to 2/3rds majority language in the state constitution, they can just end EV-by-CD by a standard majority vote if the NE GOP tries to gerrymander NE-02.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2020, 01:04:03 PM »

Remember that when 538 drew hundreds of redistricting maps a few years ago, one such map makes all three districts in NE strongly R-leaning:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/redistricting-maps/nebraska/#GOP

This map would only split one county, so it would meet the requirement to minimize county splits.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2020, 04:26:56 PM »

"Republican Redefined "

Also, remember that, while the Maine Dem trifecta can't gerrymander ME-02 due to 2/3rds majority language in the state constitution, they can just end EV-by-CD by a standard majority vote if the NE GOP tries to gerrymander NE-02.
This is not an equal trade.  For NE, it is safe R statewide and if an election were to be such a Dem landslide that the state was in play, it would already be lost anyhow, regardless of NE.  But for ME, Clinton only narrowly won it.  While Biden improved, there's so reason to assume ME wouldn't be competitive statewide in a future election.  Making NE winner take all has no risk for Republicans, doin the same in ME carries some risk for Dems.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2020, 11:46:46 PM »

"Republican Redefined "

This is not an equal trade.  For NE, it is safe R statewide and if an election were to be such a Dem landslide that the state was in play, it would already be lost anyhow, regardless of NE.  But for ME, Clinton only narrowly won it.  While Biden improved, there's so reason to assume ME wouldn't be competitive statewide in a future election.  Making NE winner take all has no risk for Republicans, doin the same in ME carries some risk for Dems.

It's not equal, per se, but it's definitely better for Democrats to have Maine be winner take all than the way it is now. At least until 2028, which is the relevant date here, odds are good that the Democrats will be substantial favorites to carry the state, so it would make sense as a tit for tat retaliation, even if the tat is smaller.
Idaho Conservative
BWP Conservative
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 02:59:31 AM »

"Republican Redefined "

It's not equal, per se, but it's definitely better for Democrats to have Maine be winner take all than the way it is now. At least until 2028, which is the relevant date here, odds are good that the Democrats will be substantial favorites to carry the state, so it would make sense as a tit for tat retaliation, even if the tat is smaller.
ME is a very elastic state, I could see this backfiring on them spectacularly.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2020, 01:41:36 PM »

For fun (even if it is officially non-partisan), here is my attempt at a state legislature gerrymander that tries to be relatively clean and not split counties too much and what not

https://davesredistricting.org/join/0636b71e-b9d4-4db6-b868-6a0c05b7e0bc

The "tipping point" district is district 18, which voted 58-35 Trump (R+15) and is located in the western Sarpy County outermost suburbs of Omaha

The "tipping point" for a 2/3 Republican majority is district 12, which voted 53-41 Clinton (R+11) and is located in the suburbs of Omaha (but is closer to downtown Omaha this time)

I guess a map like this means the legislature is Titanium R, and makes it more likely than not that Republicans hold 2/3 supermajorities
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 08:27:49 PM »

What was the incentive for Nebraska to start splitting their electoral votes? It looks like it first began in 1996. Was one party or the other more interested in it?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 08:18:26 AM »

What was the incentive for Nebraska to start splitting their electoral votes? It looks like it first began in 1996. Was one party or the other more interested in it?
Apparently it was because it was believed that campaigns would pay more attention, and recalled the 1968 primary with Bobby Kennedy.

Robert Kennedy and the 1968 Nebraska campaign trail

At the time, there were only about a dozen primaries and May 13 was a relatively early primary. West Virginia was the same day, but was not a preferential primary nor was Ohio a week earlier.

1968 Democratic Party presidential primaries (Wikipedia)

LBJ had withdrawn, and Humphrey was not running in the primaries. McCarthy was gaining in momentum, and Kennedy needed to cut into his popular support. If HHH was nominated in Chicago without running in the primaries there would probably be riots and Nixon would be elected.

(Youtube)

The elector change was proposed by a Democrat, and backed by those who wanted more attention by politicians. Trump did hold a campaign rally a week before the election.

Incidentally, the original proposal in Maine was to divide the state into four electoral districts, which was the normal scheme for states with district election of electors. Feel free to draw a 5-district Nebraska.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2020, 11:44:29 AM »

Incidentally, the original proposal in Maine was to divide the state into four electoral districts, which was the normal scheme for states with district election of electors. Feel free to draw a 5-district Nebraska.

For fun, here is said 5 district Nebraska:

NE-01: Obama+10, Clinton+7, D+1
NE-02: McCain+12, Trump+17, R+11
NE-03: Obama+1, Trump+8, R+5
NE-04: McCain+31, Trump+51, R+25
NE-05: McCain+41, Trump+58, R+29

In terms of electoral votes, the downtown Omaha vote would be Likely D, and with trends borderline safe at this point. The Omaha suburbs district would still remain as Safe R, at least in the short and medium term.

The southeast Lincoln district might have been winnable for a Dem at some point in a landslide and was narrowly won by Obama in 08 (and might still be winnable?) but it is a very uphill battle.

The other 2 districts would of course be titanium R.
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2020, 02:31:56 PM »

Apparently it was because it was believed that campaigns would pay more attention, and recalled the 1968 primary with Bobby Kennedy.

Robert Kennedy and the 1968 Nebraska campaign trail

At the time, there were only about a dozen primaries and May 13 was a relatively early primary. West Virginia was the same day, but was not a preferential primary nor was Ohio a week earlier.

1968 Democratic Party presidential primaries (Wikipedia)

LBJ had withdrawn, and Humphrey was not running in the primaries. McCarthy was gaining in momentum, and Kennedy needed to cut into his popular support. If HHH was nominated in Chicago without running in the primaries there would probably be riots and Nixon would be elected.

(Youtube)

The elector change was proposed by a Democrat, and backed by those who wanted more attention by politicians. Trump did hold a campaign rally a week before the election.

Fascinating! I’ve always wondered why none of the smaller states did this. Interesting that Maine had proposed this.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2021, 12:45:25 AM »

https://davesredistricting.org/join/9e0a7cfe-57b4-4808-995e-b1e4b7819f78
Nebraska legislature map made using 2018 population estimates
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2021, 11:25:42 AM »

Here's a map with no county cuts. It makes the Omaha district more R (though it's still competitive - so basically the same sort of change as they did after 2010), while also making a very neat and clean looking map.

The Omaha district is Trump +3 in 2016. Biden wins it in 2020 by 16,510 votes. I think that's roughly Biden +5, if I've got the math right. So at the very least it should keep Bacon safe for 2022 and possibly 2024, if he wants to stay in the House.

https://davesredistricting.org/join/9430cf17-1383-45db-bf3f-bf2533db216f
Biden his time
Abdullah
YaBB God
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2021, 05:17:05 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2021, 06:04:46 PM by EIRC ADAMS »

I tried my hand at a fair 3-district map of Nebraska.

Image Link

The Population Deviation is 0.09%, and it reflects 2015 - 2019 ACS Data.

100/100 on Dave's Proportionality Index
75/100 on the Compactness Index
86/100 on County Splitting
0/100 on the Minority Representation index (it's Nebraska so it's excusable)
53/100 on Dave's competitiveness index

The map above shows results from the 2018 United States Senate Election in Nebraska (chosen because it is closest to the 2020 U.S. Presidential election).

Check it out here and see county and municipality boundaries.

Partisan Breakdown by Election

2016 U.S. Senate Election in Nebraska: 2R to 1D

2018 Nebraska Gubernatorial Election: 2R to 1D

2016 U.S. Presidential Election in Nebraska: 2R to 1D

Opinions?
Thunder98
United States

P P P
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2021, 10:14:38 PM »

I'm curious what they will do to NE-2.

https://apnews.com/article/redistricting-f3e36136ea4536de2cef968be77d18b6
BoiseBoy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.05, S: -1.13

P P
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2021, 11:39:40 PM »

My map (and what I expect will eventually happen) depicts Nebraska more like how it was from 2003-2013.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2021, 11:46:02 PM »

While officially nonpartisan, Democrats do hold just enough seats to filibuster anything they disapprove of. There could also be some Republicans that aren't willing to go along with a gerrymander. I just checked DRA and the current population of the districts are:

NE-01: 659,816   
NE-02: 701,005
NE-03: 600,683

I played around with NE-02, which has to lose about 47k in population. Keeping it as a district entirely covering Douglas County and keeping the most Republican precincts in Sarpy County would move the district from Biden+6.6 to Biden+7.6. In 2016, it would've gone from Trump+2.2 to Trump+1.1. It looks fairly absurd too. A cleaner split of the county, with NE-02 still taking in more Republican precincts, would be Biden+7.8 in 2020 and Trump+0.7 in 2016. NE-01 does drop down to Trump+12 for 2020, but that's with a minimal change map. There's plenty of NE-03 to make that titanium R if that isn't enough.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2021, 11:23:19 AM »

Republican proposed map:

Democratic proposed map:

Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2021, 11:48:53 AM »

Ooh, an official dummymander out in the wild. Don't see that too often.

NE-02 in the GOP map would still be Biden +6 in 2020, Trump +3 in 2016, and NE-01 would be Trump +11 in 2020, Trump +18 in 2016. As a liberal, I would be so owned if Republicans passed that map.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies