Walter Mondale 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:18:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Walter Mondale 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Walter Mondale 2024  (Read 1115 times)
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2022, 08:48:04 PM »

I voted for Mondale in 1984.  I could not convince my girlfriend at that time to do so.  I almost had her convinced, but her family convinced her to vote for Reagan.

If you could go back to 1984 and change your vote, would you still support Mondale?

I thought it the right thing to do at the time.  I wasn't thrilled with Mondale, but I did not agree with Reaganomics.  (I actually agreed with the Reagan Budget Cuts but not the Reagan Tax Cuts.)
Reaganomics I am not 100% in favor of either (though they did help with bringing inflation down and did result in strong economic growth at the time), but I do think Ronald Reagan’s foreign policy was necessary at the time and would have supported it generally. Overall, I would say that Ronald Reagan is a B+ rated President, maybe an A- if I am being generous.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2022, 08:59:49 PM »

I voted for Mondale in 1984.  I could not convince my girlfriend at that time to do so.  I almost had her convinced, but her family convinced her to vote for Reagan.

If you could go back to 1984 and change your vote, would you still support Mondale?

I thought it the right thing to do at the time.  I wasn't thrilled with Mondale, but I did not agree with Reaganomics.  (I actually agreed with the Reagan Budget Cuts but not the Reagan Tax Cuts.)
Reaganomics I am not 100% in favor of either (though they did help with bringing inflation down and did result in strong economic growth at the time), but I do think Ronald Reagan’s foreign policy was necessary at the time and would have supported it generally. Overall, I would say that Ronald Reagan is a B+ rated President, maybe an A- if I am being generous.

I do remember at the time I used to argue with my liberal mother over the issue of the Nuclear Freeze.  My mother was coordinator for her county's chapter of Common Cause and was incredibly upset over Nuclear Weapons and the buildup.  I believed that we could not freeze nuclear weapons so long as the Soviets did not do so, and that our nuclear arsenal deterred war.

Reagan was proven right on that issue over time.  In that regard, I would likely reverse my vote if I had to do 1984 all over again.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies