Counties Obama won, but Trump got over 70% in 2020
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 05:25:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Counties Obama won, but Trump got over 70% in 2020
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Counties Obama won, but Trump got over 70% in 2020  (Read 1506 times)
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2020, 12:57:04 AM »

There are lots of Obama-Trump counties but be curious how many counties there are out there which Obama won but Trump got over 70%?  I know Elliott County, Kentucky is one, but wondering about others.  Guessing a fair number from 2008, but probably only a handful from 2012, Elliott County only one I can think of.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 12:59:02 AM »

Plenty from 08 a lot in coal country. 
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2020, 01:08:36 AM »

Plenty from 08 a lot in coal country.  

I'd expect some in Iowa, but the only one I can find is Adams.

John McCain won Taylor, WI by 23 votes, and it was a 70+ Trump county in 2020.
scooby
Rookie
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2020, 01:33:05 AM »

Iron and Washington Counties from 2008 in MO
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2020, 01:55:31 AM »

Marshall county MN in NW MN was +0.1 Obama in 08/+12 Romney and is now 70% Trump.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2020, 02:10:58 AM »

Belmont and Monroe Counties, Ohio, would fit into this category. Obama won these two counties in 2008, and when they flipped for Mitt Romney in 2012, it was the first time they had voted Republican since 1972.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2020, 02:43:05 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2020, 02:51:19 AM by Taking the D out of Driftless :( »

Most of them are in coal country/Appalachia more generally, but I've found a few that aren't. They're all Obama-Romney-Trump under 70-Trump over 70, except Jackson which exceeded 70% in 2016.

Adams IA
Starke IN
Houston TN
Jackson TN
Vermillion IN, almost (69% Trump in 2020)

Towner ND is a possibility, but it's at 70.6% Trump with 88% reporting. The remaining ballots might drop it below 70.

Sad to see the Leadbelt go.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2020, 02:51:31 AM »

Most of them are in coal country/Appalachia more generally, but I've found a few that aren't. They're all Obama-Romney-Trump under 70-Trump over 70.

Adams IA
Starke IN
Houston TN
Jackson TN

Towner ND is a possibility, but it's at 70.6% Trump with 88% reporting. The remaining ballots might drop it below 70.

I've been looking through more of the state county maps from this election, and it's just startling to me how Republican America's rural areas have become, with the exception of more Democratic-friendly pockets in New England (and some of the rural areas in that region have trended strongly Republican, such as ME-2 and Essex County, Vermont). Trump broke 70% in several additional counties in Minnesota and crossed that mark in at least two in Wisconsin-states which traditionally did not see such high levels of Republican rural support. He demolished Biden in literally hundreds of rural counties that had voted for Bill Clinton, Al Gore, John Kerry, and Barack Obama within the past quarter of a century.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2020, 02:55:23 AM »

Most of them are in coal country/Appalachia more generally, but I've found a few that aren't. They're all Obama-Romney-Trump under 70-Trump over 70.

Adams IA
Starke IN
Houston TN
Jackson TN

I've been looking through more of the state county maps from this election, and it's just startling to me how Republican America's rural areas have become, with the exception of more Democratic-friendly pockets in New England (and some of the rural areas in that region have trended strongly Republican, such as ME-2 and Essex County, Vermont). Trump broke 70% in several additional counties in Minnesota and crossed that mark in at least two in Wisconsin-states which traditionally did not see such high levels of Republican rural support. He demolished Biden in literally hundreds of rural counties that had voted for Bill Clinton, Al Gore, John Kerry, and Barack Obama within the past quarter of a century.

It's sad. I sometimes wonder if Democrats should start intentionally moving out into rurals to flip some counties back, just to make the maps look better. A solidly red map with a few blue islands doesn't look like much of a Democratic mandate, and appearances matter. Trump is apparently obsessed with his 2016 map and its "red sea."
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2020, 03:00:37 AM »

Adams IA
Starke IN
Houston TN
Jackson TN

It's sad. I sometimes wonder if Democrats should start intentionally moving out into rurals to flip some counties back, just to make the maps look better. A solidly red map with a few blue islands doesn't look like much of a Democratic mandate, and appearances matter. Trump is apparently obsessed with his 2016 map and its "red sea."

I agree. Yes, we're all aware of the mantra that "land doesn't vote, people do", and yes, it's true that the Democrats have a hold on the popular vote thanks to running up their margins in this country's urban and suburban areas, but it still doesn't bode well for the future of our political system. Trump certainly has boasted about the number of counties he's carried in the past, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did so again after this year. I understand why the rural areas vote the way that they do, but it doesn't make things any less depressing.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 03:09:40 AM »

Adams IA
Starke IN
Houston TN
Jackson TN

I agree. Yes, we're all aware of the mantra that "land doesn't vote, people do", and yes, it's true that the Democrats have a hold on the popular vote thanks to running up their margins in this country's urban and suburban areas, but it still doesn't bode well for the future of our political system. Trump certainly has boasted about the number of counties he's carried in the past, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did so again after this year. I understand why the rural areas vote the way that they do, but it doesn't make things any less depressing.
Yeah I agree 100%. The more land area won the better. Mostly cause maps look bad otherwise.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2020, 03:38:53 AM »
« Edited: November 11, 2020, 03:56:15 AM by FL & OH: Not Even Once »

There may be 1 or 2 counties out there that were McCain-Obama-Trump >70%, but I'm skeptical. Hence why '08 is where I looked. I found 20 in all:

Code:
County (2008 Margin - 2020 Margin)		Pct Pt Swing

KY - Elliott (Obama +25; Trump +51) 76
WV - Webster (Obama +5; Trump +63) 68
WV - McDowell (Obama +8; Trump +58) 66
WV - Boone (Obama +11; Trump +53) 64
OH - Monroe (Obama +9; Trump +54) 63
MO - Washington (Obama +0; Trump +62) 62
MO - Iron (Obama +3; Trump +58) 61
IL - Calhoun (Obama +7; Trump +50) 57
TN - Jackson (Obama +1; Trump +56) 57
KY - Menifee (Obama +5; Trump +50) 55
TN - Houston (Obama +2; Trump +50) 52
ND - Towner (Obama +7; Trump +44) 51
IN - Starke (Obama +3; Trump +47) 50
PA - Elk (Obama +4; Trump +45) 49
MN - Marshall (Obama +1; Trump +48) 49
WV - Braxton (Obama +1; Trump +47) 48
OH - Belmont (Obama +3; Trump +44) 47
IA - Adams (Obama +3; Trump +43) 46
KY - Wolfe (Obama +3; Trump +42) 45
IL - Schuyler (Obama +2; Trump +43) 45

𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2020, 06:15:47 AM »

There may be 1 or 2 counties out there that were McCain-Obama-Trump >70%, but I'm skeptical. Hence why '08 is where I looked. I found 20 in all:

Code:
County (2008 Margin - 2020 Margin) Pct Pt Swing

https://snipboard.io/eMjEui.jpg

I checked and no McCain-Obama county came even close to that. Staten Island and Benton County, MS, are currently Trump >60% but that may change because there are still votes left to count.

(not that there are many McCain-Obama counties to begin with)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2020, 11:04:30 AM »

Adams IA
Starke IN
Houston TN
Jackson TN

Yeah I agree 100%. The more land area won the better. Mostly cause maps look bad otherwise.

And it makes maps look less interesting, when you have the predictable pattern of heavily Democratic urban and suburban centers, and everything else coated with the darkest shades of red. But I digress. In the reality that we live, the Democratic Party's focus must be, and will continue to be, to energize turnout among its base. Most Democratic politicians are starting to recognize that the rural areas are gone, and may start to divert their attentions elsewhere.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 11:07:40 AM »

Code:

I checked and no McCain-Obama county came even close to that. Staten Island and Benton County, MS, are currently Trump >60% but that may change because there are still votes left to count.

Ross County Ohio was one vote from being one in 12 and its 72% Trump
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2020, 11:12:23 AM »

Code:

Ross County Ohio was one vote from being one in 12 and its 72% Trump

I think you mean Pike County?

Yeah that's the master of near misses I suppose. South central Ohio was weird in 2012.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2020, 12:37:00 PM »
« Edited: November 12, 2020, 12:53:21 PM by lfromnj »

Also I think there are a few towns in northern maine that the opposite, 70% obama in 08 and probably even 2012 that Trump flipped this year.

Frenchville Maine was 70% obama in 08 and 69% obama in 12 and now 60% Trump !.

Golden still won it by 2 points though, #Populists Purple heart
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2020, 12:51:22 PM »

Not quite an Obama county, but there are multiple Kerry '04 counties that Trump got over 80% of the vote in in rural Tennessee.

Grundy County: Kerry +14, 82% Trump
Van Buren County: Kerry +4, 80% Trump
Perry County: Kerry +2, 81% Trump

We do have two counties that fit that description though:

Jackson County: Obama +1, 77% Trump
Houston County: Obama +2, 74% Trump
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2020, 03:08:15 PM »

So asides from Elliott County, Kentucky, several 2008 Obama counties where Trump got over 70%, but looks like no other Obama 2012 where he got over 70% but might be missing something here.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies