Is America a center-right country?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:19:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Is America a center-right country?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 65

Author Topic: Is America a center-right country?  (Read 1677 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 04, 2020, 05:27:47 PM »

After tonight's results, I'm going with a firm yes. If the GOP retains its newfound appeal to non-whites, then it will remain that way for years to come.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 05:34:42 PM »

As a European, my meme reply should be "you only realize now???" and/or "no, because it is a far-right country", but I'll answer seriously and say that I don't believe there is any such thing as 'centre-right countries' or 'centre-left countries'. I guess you could say there are more conservative and more liberal countries, but that's not the same thing and it doesn't even have to do with politics for the most part.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2020, 06:14:28 PM »

If you ask our country's elites, probably yes.

If you ask our country's ordinary citizens, definitely no.
Sumner 1868
tara gilesbie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2020, 08:02:48 PM »

If you want the real story of modern U.S. politics, check out how Biden did in Florida even though the "extreme" $15 an hour minimum wage passed with three-fifths of the vote. Then recall the string of progressive ballot measures (Medicaid expansion in multiiple red states, felons voting rights in Florida, Missouri dumping right-to-scab, etc) that dramatically outperformed Democrats in off years and the 2018 midterms under Trump. A poll done on Fox News during election day also found voters on the left of both candidates on many issues.

The real question worth asking is why do so many people vote Republican even when they back core left-wing policies? A question Democrats will undoubtedly refuse to answer because they would rather keep rolling in the corporate/neocon cash.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2020, 11:05:58 PM »

Compared against the rest of the world? Honestly, probably not. Unless your very narrow mode of analysis is USA vs Western Europe on the issue of healthcare or somthing.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 12:04:59 AM »

yeah...compared to what?  The "average" country?  ahhaahah, no, we're pretty far left compared to "average".  Compared to the "average" Western country....meh, still probably lean a little left of center on the whole.

Of course if you define things (like "left" and "right") in specific ways, you can make...well, whatever stupid or genius argument you want.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 02:59:26 AM »

Not really. American voters are emotional not ideological and rational. And the GOP in no universe could be considered center right. Also keep in mind that a majority of Americans voted for Biden.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 04:01:32 AM »

Well, the principal right-wing party has won the popular vote in only one presidential election since the end of the cold war. That doesn't really seem like the sign of a right wing people.

The unrelenting shďtness of the Democratic party and the fact that the Republicans seem to have abandoned their attachment to the institutions of democracy is a bit of a problem; but doesn't really mean that the average American is unusually right wing.
Red Velvet
Brazil

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2020, 02:24:24 PM »

I was going to answer “No” because to me it’s not center, it’s a fully right-wing country. Not even democrats agree with healthcare as a right, something that would be a consensus in every other place! But I think a “No” would be more interpreted that I’m saying US is center-left, which would be even further from truth.

So I voted “Yes”.

Btw, I measure right-left based on economics so when I say that, I’m talking about the uncontrolled capitalism stuff, where every minimum investment in health or education is treated as “communist”.

I don’t necessarily think US is more conservative than most places in regards to social issues, only if you’re comparing yourself to Western Europe, which is indeed more socially progressive generally but even then, it’s not a rule. US seems kinda similar on social positions to Latin America, probably slightly more progressive due to religion not being as impactful on politics as here.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2020, 02:26:54 PM »

No. America has changed from time to time and isn't static.

Currently though it's a firm right wing country.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 06:36:00 AM »

No, America is a center-wrong country.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 06:50:24 AM »

No, America is a center-wrong country.

This but without "center".
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 11:13:03 PM »

It's pretty much largely right-wing in many ways by world standards.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2020, 04:46:39 PM »

If you want the real story of modern U.S. politics, check out how Biden did in Florida even though the "extreme" $15 an hour minimum wage passed with three-fifths of the vote. Then recall the string of progressive ballot measures (Medicaid expansion in multiiple red states, felons voting rights in Florida, Missouri dumping right-to-scab, etc) that dramatically outperformed Democrats in off years and the 2018 midterms under Trump. A poll done on Fox News during election day also found voters on the left of both candidates on many issues.

The real question worth asking is why do so many people vote Republican even when they back core left-wing policies? A question Democrats will undoubtedly refuse to answer because they would rather keep rolling in the corporate/neocon cash.
Republicans beat the populist drum but they are still beholden to their corporate masters (and yes Democrats are too but atleast they actually support social programs).
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2020, 06:16:18 PM »

Europe is the world now? Huh
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2020, 08:11:31 PM »

I mean western-world. I should've been more specific.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2020, 05:33:55 AM »

I mean, from my very superficial understanding of third world politics; in general most third world countries would be well to the left of the US economically (clientelism would be rampant in many after all); but of course they would also be well to the right socially and culturally (something like "Let's put the gays in jail instead of stoning them" would be bold and radical).
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2020, 06:16:09 AM »
« Edited: November 24, 2020, 06:51:53 AM by Clarko95 »

No, we're not. We are unusual in our inherent skepticism of/hostility towards government, decentralization, and complex legislative system which stalls change and can be abused, and our political dividing lines are different, but we're not "centre-right" or even "right-wing". We are a country of extremes and forces moving sharply against each other, and the breakdown in consensus politics since the 1980s makes it harder to deal with our problems.

This reminds me of the stupid "The Democratic Party would be a centre-right party in Europe!" meme
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2020, 05:33:12 PM »

I mean, from my very superficial understanding of third world politics; in general most third world countries would be well to the left of the US economically (clientelism would be rampant in many after all); but of course they would also be well to the right socially and culturally (something like "Let's put the gays in jail instead of stoning them" would be bold and radical).

Odd that all the least-developed, least-hospitable, and least-successful countries in the world have politics that are opposite of libertarianism. I'm sure that's just a coincidence though.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2020, 04:05:19 AM »

Odd that all the least-developed, least-hospitable, and least-successful countries in the world have politics that are opposite of libertarianism. I'm sure that's just a coincidence though.

I am almost tempted to go with the meme argument of "Somalia is a libertarian paradise though" Tongue
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2020, 12:38:46 PM »

I am almost tempted to go with the meme argument of "Somalia is a libertarian paradise though" Tongue

But if we go down this route, couldn't Somalia also be considered socially conservative? So really, it's a paleocon paradise. Wink
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2020, 02:15:45 PM »

Somalia is every ideology's paradise, because the lack of a functioning government means you can seize control of whatever small tract of land you can get your hands on, declare independence, and create a new society that adheres to your political beliefs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies