Do you think there was any way Trump could have been a good president?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:34:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Do you think there was any way Trump could have been a good president?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you think Trump could've done anything different to make him a good president?
I already think he's a good president.

Yes, I don't approve of him but there are some things he could've done that would've made him good.

No, Even if Trump didn't have character flaws, Wasn't corrupt and had a better COVID response, I still wouldn't have agreed with many of his policies.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Do you think there was any way Trump could have been a good president?  (Read 1000 times)
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 30, 2020, 06:04:03 AM »

I think B.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 02:56:38 PM »

If Trump didn't have his character flaws, he wouldn't be Trump.
morgankingsley
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 06:37:24 PM »

I think he had some good ideas, and was less stubborn, he could have probably actually worked some real policies out, but I doubt his approval rating would have hot much higher than 50 percent or so
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 10:30:20 PM »

He should not have played so nice with the media and established powers. He has thin skin, a need to be loved.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 11:16:06 PM »

No. His character flaws (laziness, narcissism, etc) precluded him from being successful in that role.

Even if those flaws were absent, I don't see how someone who is such an outsider to the political process would have been able to implement whatever the practical version of his campaign promises were.

He'd be dealing with caucuses of his own party that were very opposed to things like more spending on infrastructure and a generous healthcare plan that "takes care of everybody." He'd have no allies in Congress who could do the work of whipping support for those things.

Legislating and governing isn't easy and the idea that an outsider with no political experience could be good at it doesn't make any more sense than suggesting someone with no medical training can do a heart transplant. You actually do need politicians and career civil servants to do that stuff effectively.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2020, 06:50:31 AM »

a bad businessman/real estate investor should never be anywhere near the head of anything, much less an entire country, and super especially, the most powerful nation on Earth.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2020, 07:04:59 AM »

I don't know about his entire term, but I think there's an alternate TL where he listens to his inner xenophobe and germophobe back before COVID blew up and his politics gain a lot more credibility while his opponents get discredited. There was a moment when pushing masking/closed borders to stop the pandemic would get you exiled from cosmopolitan circles for criminal unfanciness. If anyone was going to break through that early, it would've been Trump... but of course he didn't.
Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2020, 11:53:01 AM »
« Edited: November 01, 2020, 11:56:21 AM by Horus »

If he'd ran as sort of a Bernie/Jim Traficant/Mark Cuban hybrid. He could've easily done this, framing it as the former crony capitalist turned good guy running to destroy wall street from the inside out. Would've been a great president if he'd approached everything from the populist left.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2020, 11:59:54 AM »

If he'd ran as sort of a Bernie/Jim Traficant/Mark Cuban hybrid. He could've easily done this, framing it as the former crony capitalist turned good guy running to destroy wall street from the inside out. Would've been a great president if he'd approached everything from the populist left.

You're basically saying someone other than him but with a similar background could have been a good president.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2020, 02:31:06 PM »

Yes, but I think it would’ve required him to act differently than he did as a candidate.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 10:51:54 AM »

This is kind of like asking, “If Dracula wasn’t constantly drinking the blood of the innocent every night, would he be a pretty okay guy?”
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 08:41:57 PM »

No, even if he'd run as a Democrat and had a few vaguely liberal policy goals, he still would have been extremely incompetent, corrupt, and ineffective.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2020, 12:02:31 PM »

If a Republican who was an actual person ran on strong stance against illegals and the trade war, (and wasn't homophobic) I would vote R at least against Hillary. Alas, I would never vote Trump. Trump by his nature cannot be a good administrator.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 10:56:00 PM »

He'd have never been a good President, but I think he could've fared much better if he hadn't become (trade and by the standards of the last 40 years, Immigration) a Reaganite lapdog for Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell when it came to policy and actually delivered on the infrastructure spending and giving everyone healthcare that he ran on in 2016. He also would've needed to take COVID seriously and in general stay the  off twitter.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2020, 06:14:33 AM »

The man has narcissistic personality disorder. So maybe he could have been a "good" president if he had cared to undero psychotherapy at one point in his life. But I guess he figured that would have made him a "loser" and a "sucker".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies