MN 2022 Gov Race Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:36:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN 2022 Gov Race Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13
Author Topic: MN 2022 Gov Race Megathread  (Read 20704 times)
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: September 17, 2022, 09:44:33 AM »

I don't think the MN GOP have reached FL-DEM or CO-GOP levels of stupidity and incompetence yet, but if this November goes at all like people think they are prime candidates.

CO GOP isn't that bad - O'Dea is much better than the likes of Masters, Walker, Oz or Vance.

They've just kind of gotten screwed by educational polarization.

If anything, I think the MI GOP should be the example of a horrifically incompetent state party.
Yes yes yes! Whitmer imo was beatable even in a neutral year but they threw out that possibility
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #276 on: September 17, 2022, 09:50:08 AM »

I don't think the MN GOP have reached FL-DEM or CO-GOP levels of stupidity and incompetence yet, but if this November goes at all like people think they are prime candidates.

CO GOP isn't that bad - O'Dea is much better than the likes of Masters, Walker, Oz or Vance. They've just kind of gotten screwed by educational polarization because the state is so college-educated.

If anything, I think the MI GOP should be the example of a horrifically incompetent state party.

O'Dea is probably one of the best Republican candidates running, and is a good fit for Colorado ideologically, but nevertheless, has no chance. Colorado is becoming unwinnable for Republicans very quickly, and I suspect Republicans will fail to win any of the statewide offices this year.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #277 on: September 27, 2022, 06:41:41 PM »

This sounds like a logical and winning strategy. Remember how Republicans never talked about abortion prior to the Dobbs decision?
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #278 on: October 03, 2022, 12:22:37 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #279 on: October 03, 2022, 01:34:34 PM »

Heidi Ganahl has made a similar claim here in Colorado, referring to "furries" in our schools. She cited Arapahoe County as an example of this, although the school district there explicitly denied her claims.
BenjiG98
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.00, S: -2.26

P P P
« Reply #280 on: October 03, 2022, 02:03:01 PM »

Heidi Ganahl has made a similar claim here in Colorado, referring to "furries" in our schools. She cited Arapahoe County as an example of this, although the school district there explicitly denied her claims.
Anyone who actually attends or works at the schools/districts could tell you that it's a load of bull, but are Ganahl's/Jensen's bases careful enough to actually think about the absurdity of the claim and that there's no truth to it? Doesn't seem like that's the case.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #281 on: October 03, 2022, 05:50:59 PM »

This again? How desperate can you be to be going back to this?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #282 on: October 03, 2022, 06:37:40 PM »

Anyone who actually attends or works at the schools/districts could tell you that it's a load of bull, but are Ganahl's/Jensen's bases careful enough to actually think about the absurdity of the claim and that there's no truth to it? Doesn't seem like that's the case.

I would concur. Lauren Boebert, moreover, has run an ad here talking about fighting "woke indoctrination" in schools and standing up for parental rights. There are legitimate issues with our education system that need to be addressed, and issues that I disagree with Democrats on. But Republicans certainly have made insinuations about that system which are not accurate.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #283 on: October 04, 2022, 10:44:18 AM »

The gaslighting about abortion is obvious crud to us, people who are informed politically. But I'm not convinced the voters are that smart. GOP is using a tactic here of "my opponent is desperately talking about x instead of more important issues". I'm not saying Jensen is favored but it might not be such a bad strategy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #284 on: October 04, 2022, 10:56:57 AM »

The gaslighting about abortion is obvious crud to us, people who are informed politically. But I'm not convinced the voters are that smart. GOP is using a tactic here of "my opponent is desperately talking about x instead of more important issues". I'm not saying Jensen is favored but it might not be such a bad strategy.
Walz mostly IS talking about other issues though. Jensen is getting dragged on abortion from PACs.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #285 on: October 04, 2022, 12:21:17 PM »

Walz mostly IS talking about other issues though. Jensen is getting dragged on abortion from PACs.
My point is it's not a dumb strategy. It's like Reagans "Here you go again!"
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #286 on: October 04, 2022, 12:23:00 PM »

My point is it's not a dumb strategy. It's like Reagans "Here you go again!"
There's no proof it's working. And Jensen's campaign is so bad he's just looking incompetent as a whole.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #287 on: October 04, 2022, 01:53:04 PM »

I know a number of people, mostly solid Democratic voters, who believed an identical hoax in my hometown. We all need to take a step back sometimes and understand the credulity of the average voter. By extension, we should consider how forgiving they are for equally credulous candidates.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #288 on: October 09, 2022, 12:31:53 PM »

The statement is correct. Minnesota did have a viability ban at one time, but it was struck down by the 8th circuit decades ago and the case has not been revisited post-dobbs. Until recently, there was a 24 hour waiting period, a limitation on who could perform late-term abortions, and a parental notification law, but those were struck down earlier this year in state court: https://lawyeringproject.org/our-work/doe-v-minnesota-minnesota/#:~:text=The%20court%20held%20that%20the,right%20to%20access%20abortion%20care.%E2%80%9D

So, the answer to the question: Can you get a 9th Month abortion in Minnesota? is YES., as there are no restrictions left. Finding a surgeon to perform one may be difficult, but the procedure CAN be done. And because it was done via courts, there is nothing a Governor or Legislature of either party could do about it, at least in the short term.

Now is this good strategy? Hard to know, it's untested. But Walz has a large lead which is likely unable to be erased at this late date.
Orwell
JacksonHitchcock
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #289 on: October 10, 2022, 04:20:03 AM »

Hopefully Keith"Wife Beater"Ellison loses!
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #290 on: October 10, 2022, 08:59:41 AM »

The statement is correct. Minnesota did have a viability ban at one time, but it was struck down by the 8th circuit decades ago and the case has not been revisited post-dobbs. Until recently, there was a 24 hour waiting period, a limitation on who could perform late-term abortions, and a parental notification law, but those were struck down earlier this year in state court: https://lawyeringproject.org/our-work/doe-v-minnesota-minnesota/#:~:text=The%20court%20held%20that%20the,right%20to%20access%20abortion%20care.%E2%80%9D

So, the answer to the question: Can you get a 9th Month abortion in Minnesota? is YES., as there are no restrictions left. Finding a surgeon to perform one may be difficult, but the procedure CAN be done. And because it was done via courts, there is nothing a Governor or Legislature of either party could do about it, at least in the short term.

Now is this good strategy? Hard to know, it's untested. But Walz has a large lead which is likely unable to be erased at this late date.
Whether it's true or not is irrelevant. If Jensen turns this around(which I doubt) it will be because the voters pioritize other issues like crime/economy what have you and either A- Believe Jensen's baby ad or B- They don't believe him but they don't care about abortion compared to other issues.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #291 on: October 10, 2022, 02:07:06 PM »

Whether it's true or not is irrelevant. If Jensen turns this around(which I doubt) it will be because the voters pioritize other issues like crime/economy what have you and either A- Believe Jensen's baby ad or B- They don't believe him but they don't care about abortion compared to other issues.

As a resident, my sense is that YES, voters do understand that abortion is completely legal and protected here and at no short-term risk. That being said, Abortion is fairly popular here. So do voters trust that Jensen won't lay the groundwork to overturn abortion in the long-term (judicial appointments, maybe a ballot measure in 2023 or 2025 when no one cares enough to vote)? Not necessarily.

With respect to, do voters care about abortion more than other issues? So far I'm unconvinced. The economy   still polls far higher in terms of its level of importance in every poll in every state in the union. It's also not hard to go back through past cycles and find times where an overreliance on abortion turned voters off from candidates on both sides, and to find exit polls where the voters who do care about abortion were disproportionately voting for the GOP. But all this being said, Walz's lead is probably just too big to be changed.
Minnesota Mike
YaBB God

« Reply #292 on: October 18, 2022, 08:00:51 PM »

This may be the worst answer ever to the "say something nice about your opponent" debate question. Or maybe the best, I really don't even know anymore.

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #293 on: October 18, 2022, 08:05:21 PM »

Jensen just seems so.... weird and creepy. Or maybe it's just the image of him cradling that baby oddly in his ad that has stuck with me and now i can't unsee it.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #294 on: October 26, 2022, 09:10:05 AM »

Does Jensen honestly think this will help him?
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #295 on: October 26, 2022, 09:34:47 AM »

Does Jensen honestly think this will help him?

With general Republican turnout, yes.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #296 on: October 27, 2022, 05:45:28 PM »

wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #297 on: October 28, 2022, 09:25:59 PM »

so this race is tied according to Traf, huh?

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #298 on: November 03, 2022, 04:33:52 PM »

This is a little amusing. Remember Lori Swanson?

This is literally her first tweet in over two years. She didn't even tweet something similar about voting for Biden.

This is obviously in direct response to Jim Schultz saying that no former Minnesota AG has endorsed Ellison. So clearly someone contacted her just so she could say "yeah I voted for him and Mike Hatch will too" which is pretty weak as endorsements go but almost certainly true (I do know Hatch disliked Ellison and even almost ran against him until other candidates jumped in but he's still fundamentally a party guy.)

Just funny to see Swanson make a sort of cameo after basically retiring from politics and public life entirely, I assumed she just took a job with some super high paying law firm and had no reason to pop in.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #299 on: November 09, 2022, 02:56:20 PM »

Ellison wins. DFL keeps its streak alive.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies