MN 2022 Gov Race Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 08:24:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  MN 2022 Gov Race Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Author Topic: MN 2022 Gov Race Megathread  (Read 20851 times)
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2020, 05:19:50 PM »

Actually now that I think about it, Mike Lindell could very likely win assuming 2022 is a red wave year.

Remember this is the same state that elected a professional wrestler as their governor from 1999-2003 (Jesse Ventura) and a Saturday Night Live comedian as one of their senators from 2009-2018 (Al Franken), so Mike Lindell as governor wouldn't really be anything new for Minnesota. They seem to like oddball candidates.

Though on the other hand, Ventura was an independent while Franken was a democrat, so that could spell trouble for Lindell? Especially if he faces tons of attacks for his connection to Trump (who already endorsed Lindell's potential bid for governor).

He is ridiculously easy to tie to Trump, which is why he will lose. MSP would not vote for him.
neostassenite31
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2020, 06:04:50 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2020, 06:13:44 PM by neostassenite31 »

Any Republican running for statewide office in MN is always confronted with a major dilemma.

Trump easily outperforms every other Republican in 40% of the state by double digits (Greater Minnesota). Even Jason Lewis, who was on the same ballot as Trump this year, could not match Trump's margins in most of Greater Minnesota. Running away from Trump would seem like a very bad idea in regards to winning over these voters.

However, Trump is also deeply unpopular in the seven county Twin Cities area, so much so that he did significantly worse than Jason Lewis, who some people would argue lost the senate race because he attached himself to Trump so closely that it caused him to do worse in the metro area than a more generic or downballot Republican candidate. Going full on Trumpster is clearly not going to work well in this part of the state.

Joe Biden and his performance as president is going to be the ultimate moderating factor in the suburbs that will decide the election, even if the GOP gubernatorial candidate runs on a platform that consists exclusively of a resume detailing their career as a senior MAGA cultist and conspiracy theorist, since whatever negative effects it will have in the metro will be mostly offset by a slightly smaller advantage in Greater MN, with the remaining excess being at the mercy of even slight suburban swings.  
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2020, 08:39:55 PM »

Actually now that I think about it, Mike Lindell could very likely win assuming 2022 is a red wave year.

Remember this is the same state that elected a professional wrestler as their governor from 1999-2003 (Jesse Ventura) and a Saturday Night Live comedian as one of their senators from 2009-2018 (Al Franken), so Mike Lindell as governor wouldn't really be anything new for Minnesota. They seem to like oddball candidates.

Though on the other hand, Ventura was an independent while Franken was a democrat, so that could spell trouble for Lindell? Especially if he faces tons of attacks for his connection to Trump (who already endorsed Lindell's potential bid for governor).

Remember this is also the state where a Republican hasn’t won statewide in 14 years.

That is a good point, though that doesn't mean they'll never elect one again. They're still a mild battleground after all, state and federal.

History seems to show that oddball candidates are easy to win elections in Minnesota, but what if that oddball is a republican with connections to Donald Trump in a state that voted for his opponent by 1.5% in 2016 and 7.1% in 2020?

It's hard to tell right now. Right now I'd rate it as lean/likely D if the GOP nominee isn't Lindell, and tossup to tilt/lean D if it is. And even if Lindell pulls off a shocking victory, it would still be a nailbiter of a margin.

I guess to average it all out right now, I would still rate the 2022 governor race as lean D, but that can easily change as we get closer to the election (and depending on how popular or unpopular Joe Biden is as president).
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2020, 05:16:33 AM »

Remember this is also the state where a Republican hasn’t won statewide in 14 years.

That is a good point, though that doesn't mean they'll never elect one again. They're still a mild battleground after all, state and federal.

History seems to show that oddball candidates are easy to win elections in Minnesota, but what if that oddball is a republican with connections to Donald Trump in a state that voted for his opponent by 1.5% in 2016 and 7.1% in 2020?

It's hard to tell right now. Right now I'd rate it as lean/likely D if the GOP nominee isn't Lindell, and tossup to tilt/lean D if it is. And even if Lindell pulls off a shocking victory, it would still be a nailbiter of a margin.

I guess to average it all out right now, I would still rate the 2022 governor race as lean D, but that can easily change as we get closer to the election (and depending on how popular or unpopular Joe Biden is as president).
Lindell has zero crossover appeal, he's a clown and a cultural figure but one exclusively to conservatives rather one of broad popularity. The race is  Likley D if he runs given that he pretty much destroys any chance of republicans winning back the MSP area.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2020, 02:55:27 PM »

The whole "But Jesse Ventura!" thing about Minnesota is so badly misunderstood.

Ventura won (22 years ago now), because he was the mayor of a fairly large Minneapolis suburb who ran a serious campaign with a suburban-appealing platform (basically bourgeois tax relief.) He was elected almost entirely on the basis of his political career and platform. It was not a joke campaign.

Al Franken defeated a deeply unpopular incumbent by a margin so small he wasn't sworn in for six months the same election Obama easily carried Minnesota by double digits. Doesn't sound like he ran particularly strong to me.

Lindell is also on the record as openly calling for state legislators to override Biden's victory and send their own electoral slates, and also claims that Trump legitimately won. Now is that a candidate who sounds like he has special appeal for a state Biden won by 7 points?
Tartarus Sauce
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2020, 07:21:53 PM »

Running Jeff Johnson for a third time would be less of a mistake for the Minnesota GOP than nominating Lindell.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2020, 07:41:25 PM »

Running Jeff Johnson for a third time would be less of a mistake for the Minnesota GOP than nominating Lindell.

Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2020, 06:33:53 PM »

So? The MNGOP is set to break the streak. The cards are aligned for them in 2022.

If the cops are not convicted in Floyd's murder, there will be riots and Ellison and Walz will be vulnerable.

This is Lean D, for now.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2020, 07:31:45 PM »

Probably the strongest nominee available. Remains Lean D, closer to Likely, if he runs.

Not sure how well Birk will play given the Wardlow flop.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2020, 03:40:41 AM »
« Edited: December 22, 2020, 05:39:09 AM by Alcibiades »

So? The MNGOP is set to break the streak. The cards are aligned for them in 2022.

If the cops are not convicted in Floyd's murder, there will be riots and Ellison and Walz will be vulnerable.

This is Lean D, for now.

The point is that the MNGOP have a structural disadvantage in the state, and Mike Lindell is not the man to fix that.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2020, 04:47:34 AM »

Nothing to see Walz wins
LiberalDem19

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2020, 01:05:15 AM »

This is Lean D, for now.

I agree, but this is also the MNGOP so they probably blow it anyways
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2020, 09:00:37 AM »

He would likely have the best chance out of any Republican to pick this up in 2022 but it would remain a Lean D race even then. Still, It wouldn't completely blow my mind to see Lindell win.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2020, 01:11:05 PM »

He would likely have the best chance out of any Republican to pick this up in 2022 but it would remain a Lean D race even then. Still, It wouldn't completely blow my mind to see Lindell win.

My thoughts exactly.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2020, 07:31:26 PM »

Closer to Safe D than Lean D, somebody calling for trump to deploy troops to enforce Martial Law isn't winning a state that voted for Biden by 7 points, no amount of #trends in the iron belt will help with that.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2021, 02:08:04 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/15/mike-lindell-mypillow-trump-white-house-martial-law

Aaaannnnnddddd he’s done.

My prediction now moves from lean D to likely D, and that’s assuming he survives the primaries.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2021, 03:02:22 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jan/15/mike-lindell-mypillow-trump-white-house-martial-law

My prediction now moves from lean D to likely D, and that’s assuming he survives the primaries.
Knowing the Republican party at this point, wouldn't be surprised if this helps him there.
neostassenite31
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2021, 10:18:34 AM »

Knowing the Republican party at this point, wouldn't be surprised if this helps him there.

The Democratic attack ads in the general are going to be brutal.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2021, 10:31:25 AM »

I don't know why anyone ever thought Lindell would be a good candidate. MN is a structurally Democratic state. To win it, Republicans have to max out Greater Minnesota, minimize losses in the suburbs, and pray for low turnout in the Twin Cities. That's an extremely difficult task, and a hardcore Trumpist like Lindell was never a candidate who could do that. Why would you run a candidate emulating someone who lost the state by 7 points?
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2021, 11:21:46 AM »

The Democratic attack ads in the general are going to be brutal.
Oh no definitely, I meant the primary
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2021, 12:29:45 PM »

Yeah, Likely D now. I don't know if Lindell is still the best candidate for the GOP or not.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2021, 12:32:20 PM »

I don't know why anyone ever thought Lindell would be a good candidate. MN is a structurally Democratic state. To win it, Republicans have to max out Greater Minnesota, minimize losses in the suburbs, and pray for low turnout in the Twin Cities. That's an extremely difficult task, and a hardcore Trumpist like Lindell was never a candidate who could do that. Why would you run a candidate emulating someone who lost the state by 7 points?

Yeah. I think this state will continue to be very frustrating for the GOP. I'd say they'll finally win a statewide race in 2026 and possibly win the state for the presidential election in either 2028 or 2032.
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 16, 2021, 12:52:52 PM »

Yeah. I think this state will continue to be very frustrating for the GOP. I'd say they'll finally win a statewide race in 2026 and possibly win the state for the presidential election in either 2028 or 2032.

2026 really depends on 2024, I think. If the Democrat wins, I think the GOP will probably pick up the Governorship, but if it's a Republican midterm, I'd be really surprised if Democrats didn't win. It's dependent on the nominees, though. I do agree that MN will vote Republican at the presidential level within the decade, especially once rural MN starts voting GOP at the levels of other rural areas in states like PA.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #48 on: January 16, 2021, 02:20:49 PM »

I know I'm going against the grain here, but in a neutral year Omar is favored. Lindell isn't some moderate FF, he's a quack pillow salesman who thinks Trump was appointed by God and keeps promoting a bogus COVID cure. He is cuckoo for cocoa puffs, and I fail to see how y'all are so convinced that candidate quality would lose Omar a seat in a clearly D leaning state when A. 2020 should have demonstrated that candidate quality means less every day and B. it's not even 100% clear Lindell is substantially more palatable than Omar.

I will now accept my accolades.
Fuzzy Says: "Abolish NPR!"
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 16, 2021, 04:39:50 PM »

I think the world of Mike Lindell.  He's a good and decent man.  I would hope he would not run for Governor.  He would be the most unfairly attacked candidate in history if he ran.

Tim Walz is an incompetent who refused to protect the citizens of Minneapolis from mobs when their local officials would not.  Unfortunately, I cannot see Mike Lindell defeating Walz at the polls.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies