Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:39:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Virginia Mega Thread: The Youngkin Administration  (Read 335456 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« on: December 19, 2020, 01:09:06 PM »
« edited: December 19, 2020, 01:21:01 PM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

As long as we get rid of the incumbent Lt. Governor Justin Fairfax in the Democratic primary (at this point, it's more important than the general election), I'll be happy with whomever we nominate.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 12:13:42 AM »
« Edited: March 13, 2021, 12:20:15 AM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

This is what one might call 'having too much of a good thing', which works to Terry McAuliffe's advantage, and his ambition to become the next Mills Godwin:

Split opposition boosts McAuliffe's comeback bid in Virginia
With multiple women and people of color in the Democratic primary, groups that typically support those candidates are mostly sitting out the race so far.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2021, 03:15:27 AM »
« Edited: March 21, 2021, 03:19:46 AM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

Here is a fairly comprehensive recap of all the accomplishments by the first Democratic trifecta in Virginia we have had in a generation:

Democrats have controlled Virginia government for two years. Here’s what they’ve done.

With all three statewide offices up for election, along with the House of Delegates, it is worth reading if you are an eligible voter in Virginia and contemplating who to vote for.  And even if you know how you are going to vote in November, you should still read it if you are making up your mind in the primaries. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 10:12:43 PM »

I will personally be supporting Terry McAuliffe in the Democratic primary in June.  He's been tried and tested from his previous term in office, and certainly has not been found wanting. 

What is still up in the air for me are the Lt. Governor and Attorney General races...   
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2021, 05:41:44 PM »

has the VA GOP clown car primary happened yet?

It's a state convention, not a primary, and it's scheduled for May 8. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2021, 04:10:20 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2021, 04:20:26 PM by America Needs Kali »

has the VA GOP clown car primary happened yet?

It's a state convention, not a primary, and it's scheduled for May 8.  

But it is a clown car and that's what matters most.

True.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 12:26:09 PM »

I'm very unlikely to change my mind so after being vaccinated this morning,  I went ahead and voted.

Voted for Terry Mcaufflie for Governor candidate, Sam Rasoul for Lt Governor and Jay Jones for attorney General.

I voted a little differently:

Governor: Terry McAuliffe
Lt. Governor: Hala Ayala
Attorney General: Mark Herring
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 05:18:49 PM »

I'm very unlikely to change my mind so after being vaccinated this morning,  I went ahead and voted.

Voted for Terry Mcaufflie for Governor candidate, Sam Rasoul for Lt Governor and Jay Jones for attorney General.

I voted a little differently:

Governor: Terry McAuliffe
Lt. Governor: Hala Ayala
Attorney General: Mark Herring

Why did you vote Herring over Jones?

Because I see no reason to vote him out.  I like his record, I think he's going a great job so far, and I want him to continue for another term.   
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 05:55:13 PM »

Honestly the most interesting part by far is the the Dem LG primary race because it's the only part that's competitive. McAuliffe and Herring are both heavily favored to win the primary and general elections. So the next month determines whether Rasoul, Ayala, or maybe someone else is the LG. They'll be "next in line," for the governorship in 2025, unless Herring has sufficiently restored his image.

Herring seems likely to beat Jones? Last I heard, the entire establishment was coalescing behind Jones including Northam himself.

If anything, the establishment of the Democratic Party is split between Herring and Jones, with the House leadership backing Herring, though to be fair Jones is getting a bit more of their support over the incumbent. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2021, 04:28:43 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2021, 04:52:39 PM by Frodo »

Virginia should really just let Governors run for re-election so this kind of mess doesn't happen again. Yes, it sucks when the well-liked former Gov comes in and decides he'd like another term, cutting off every other candidate. There's a reason this doesn't happen in any other state.

Yeah, the whole 'one term at a time but you can come back whenever you want as long as its not consecutive' is just dumb

The bargain made when the Virginia constitution was adopted was that you can have a relatively powerful governor to counterbalance the General Assembly, but he would serve only one consecutive term.  So the only way Virginia is going to have a governor serving two consecutive terms is if his power is reduced.   
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2021, 05:36:02 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2021, 05:42:20 PM by Frodo »

A bit off topic, but the statue of former Governor (and Senator) Harry F. Byrd, Sr. of 'Massive Resistance' infamy, and who helped build up the much vaunted 'Byrd Machine' that dominated Virginia politics for the better part of the 20th century (and defined the Jim Crow era in the state) has been removed from Richmond's Capitol Square:

Byrd statue removed from Richmond Capitol Square

2016, DANIEL SANGJIB MIN/TIMES-DISPATCH
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2021, 11:39:59 AM »

The horse-race narrative has begun:

Polls show close race for Virginia governor, with lots of voters up for grabs
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2021, 11:08:32 AM »

McAuliffe is kind of a Democratic Trump.  Fairly moderate on an actual policy level, but constantly having personal scandals and putting his foot in his mouth.

What personal scandals?  Has he been cheating on his wife?  Has he molested any models or other younger women while I was sleeping?  Tongue

The only thing he has done that might have raised eyebrows was when he wrestled an alligator years ago, but apart from that I am at a loss.....  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2021, 09:50:05 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2021, 09:54:05 PM by Frodo »

Wasserman drags NSV, too!

If Republicans are smart, they would leave the recently-passed Virginia Voting Rights Act alone.  They would be concluding that they benefit from high-turnout elections at least as much as Democrats do, and that it is in their interest not to erect barriers to that.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2021, 11:16:34 PM »

On the bright side, Democrats will more than likely be picking fresh faces in 2025 instead of has-beens like Terry McAuliffe or Mark Herring.  At least I certainly will.   
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2021, 11:26:44 PM »

On the bright side, Democrats will more than likely be picking fresh faces in 2025 instead of has-beens like Terry McAuliffe or Mark Herring.  At least I certainly will.  

Herring has been fighting a windmill saying the ERA is now part of the Constitution. He'll be running for Senate next open seat opportunity.

I urge him then to challenge Sen. Mark Warner in the 2026 primary.  Leave Tim Kaine alone.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2021, 11:30:41 PM »

What I will say is it's incredible that 1/6 will go down as this sort of Baudrillardian event that happened, but never really mattered to voters.

Kinda sad tbh.

Easy to understand why if you look at it from the perspective of an average voter -no one 'important' got killed or injured (Capitol Police officers don't matter much, apparently), and there wasn't a bloodbath in the halls of Congress.  So why the hysteria about it?  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2021, 11:57:56 PM »

You know for all the comparisons Biden gets to Jimmy Carter, at least Jimmy was able to hold the House and Senate in the 1978 midterms. I see little to no chance Biden does the same.

Even President Carter would have been hard-pressed to keep those majorities were they as tight as they are now.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2022, 10:48:20 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2022, 10:52:57 PM by Frodo »

Everything depends on the Democratic-controlled state Senate rejecting the nomination of Andrew Wheeler as Secretary of the Department of Natural Resources:

Youngkin names Trump's EPA chief to lead natural resources, sparking outrage from Dems, environmental groups
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2022, 07:59:04 PM »

When will Youngkin, Miyares, and Sears be sworn in?

Saturday, January 15. 
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2022, 10:42:24 PM »

Also, Wednesday January 12 is when the new session of the General Assembly convenes with a Republican majority in the House of Delegates vs. a still Democratic-controlled state Senate.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2022, 08:46:52 PM »

It appears that the outgoing First Lady Pamela Northam is the reason her husband ultimately decided not to resign in the wake of the yearbook black-face scandal, and we have her to thank for all the progress that has been made to address racial justice in the state:

Virginia first lady Pamela Northam helped expand pre-K — and keep her husband from resigning

Northam used what could have been a purely ceremonial post as an opportunity to lead the charge to expand and improve early-childhood education, relentlessly lobbying legislators, chairing the governor’s Children’s Cabinet, and logging some 11,000 miles to make her case across the state.

She also stepped up — quietly, but critically — at a moment of crisis in early 2019, when the governor was nearly driven from office by a blackface scandal. In the anguished hours and days that followed, she was one of the most steadfast advocates for the governor’s sticking it out and turning the episode into an opportunity to double down on the cause of racial equity.

With his wife’s support, the governor not only completed his term but mustered an unlikely comeback, working with a General Assembly that turned fully blue halfway through his term to deliver a host of long-sought Democratic goals: tightening gun laws, easing restrictions on voting, eliminating the death penalty and legalizing marijuana. The pre-K initiatives the first lady championed were part of that same equity push.

Over the course of Gov. Northam’s term, the state doubled funding for public pre-K programs, allowing the number of slots for children ages 3 and 4 to rise from about 18,000 to a record 25,000. Enrollment in Virginia’s child-care subsidy program, for use in private, church- and home-based centers, grew from about 21,000 to a record 30,000.

Pamela Northam “was a tremendous advocate for early-childhood education, and not just at the 30-foot view but actually in the weeds of the issue,” said Del. Glenn Davis (Virginia Beach), one of many Republicans won over by the first lady’s advocacy. “We wouldn’t be where we are today if it weren’t for her dedication and leadership on these issues.”
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2022, 05:03:48 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2022, 05:13:27 PM by Frodo »

So it looks like we've got our own Kyrsten Sinema in the Virginia state Senate in the person of Joseph Morrissey of Richmond:

Virginia governor’s embattled nominee appears to get a second chance

Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s embattled nominee for natural resources secretary emerged from an hour-long grilling by a state Senate committee Tuesday with at least one Democrat open to bucking his party to rescue the seemingly doomed Cabinet pick.

“I am very much open to approving his nomination,” Sen. Joseph D. Morrissey (D-Richmond) said of Andrew Wheeler, who served as Environmental Protection Agency chief under President Donald Trump. “Let’s just say that he’s got a fighting chance.”

Wheeler would only need support from one Democrat in the narrowly divided Senate to win confirmation as secretary of natural and historic resources.

Virginia’s General Assembly rarely rejects a governor’s Cabinet nominees, but Democrats and environmentalists expressed outrage this month when Youngkin (R) named Wheeler, a former coal lobbyist who led a rollback of Obama-era environmental regulations under Trump.

Morrissey’s potential support for Wheeler caught some Democrats by surprise, including Senate Majority Leader Richard L. Saslaw (D-Fairfax).

“I haven’t talked with Joe, but when we had polled the whole caucus, all of them said they were opposed,” he said Tuesday evening.

Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2022, 06:09:28 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2022, 06:14:00 PM by Frodo »

So it looks like we've got our own Kyrsten Sinema in the Virginia state Senate in the person of Joseph Morrissey of Richmond:

Virginia governor’s embattled nominee appears to get a second chance

Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s embattled nominee for natural resources secretary emerged from an hour-long grilling by a state Senate committee Tuesday with at least one Democrat open to bucking his party to rescue the seemingly doomed Cabinet pick.

“I am very much open to approving his nomination,” Sen. Joseph D. Morrissey (D-Richmond) said of Andrew Wheeler, who served as Environmental Protection Agency chief under President Donald Trump. “Let’s just say that he’s got a fighting chance.”

Wheeler would only need support from one Democrat in the narrowly divided Senate to win confirmation as secretary of natural and historic resources.

Virginia’s General Assembly rarely rejects a governor’s Cabinet nominees, but Democrats and environmentalists expressed outrage this month when Youngkin (R) named Wheeler, a former coal lobbyist who led a rollback of Obama-era environmental regulations under Trump.

Morrissey’s potential support for Wheeler caught some Democrats by surprise, including Senate Majority Leader Richard L. Saslaw (D-Fairfax).

“I haven’t talked with Joe, but when we had polled the whole caucus, all of them said they were opposed,” he said Tuesday evening.

Youngkin certainly does seem to be governing as a generic conservative Republican, almost similar to what you would expect from a state like South Carolina or Alabama or Utah. I've said before that he is to the right of Scott, Hogan, and Baker. What are your perceptions of his governorship thus far?

To me, he is like a man stuck in a time-warp, acting as if Virginia is still the same moderately conservative Southern state that voted Republican at the presidential level for forty years until Barack Obama won the state in 2008, as well as elected George Allen, Jim Gilmore, and Bob McDonnell to the governorship, and gave Republicans uninterrupted control of the House of Delegates for about two decades (and would have been the case for the state Senate too but for the stroke of luck that gave Democrats control of the chamber in 2007).  This state has changed since then, and I suspect the Republican sweep this past November gave him the misleading impression that it hasn't.  We will see who is right when all the seats in the General Assembly are up for grabs in the 2023 elections.  
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2022, 06:42:53 PM »

Virginia could ban abortions after 20 weeks with the help of one particular, maverick Democratic Senator (and a Republican Lt. Governor who can then break the tie in the evenly-divided state Senate):

Virginia GOP supports new abortion restrictions. A key Democrat may support it, too

Here is the summary of the bill in question:

Creates the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act. The Act prohibits an abortion after 20 weeks gestation unless, in reasonable medical judgment, the mother has a condition that so complicates her medical condition as to necessitate the abortion to avert her death or to avert serious risk of substantial and irreversible physical impairment of a major bodily function. When an abortion is not prohibited post-20 weeks' gestation, the physician or authorized nurse practitioner is required to terminate the pregnancy in a manner that would provide the unborn child the best opportunity to survive. The bill punishes performance of an abortion in violation of the Act as a Class 6 felony. The bill also provides for civil remedies against a physician or authorized nurse practitioner who performs an abortion in violation of the Act.

Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies