83% of Trump supporters think the election was stolen
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:19:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  83% of Trump supporters think the election was stolen
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: 83% of Trump supporters think the election was stolen  (Read 3758 times)
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2020, 06:34:34 PM »

I voted for Hillary twice, in two separate elections and she lost both of them.

I had to deal with it, especially the second one when Trump won.

And I survived. I survived 4 years of utter chaos, bullying, belittling, conning, lying by Trump.

The sore losers will survive 4 years of Biden.

Time to grow up. You can do it.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2020, 06:39:39 PM »

Does anyone have comparitive 2016 data right after election?

58% of Clinton supporters accepted defeat, 33% "strongly" felt that Trump's win was not legitimate. Full results are behind a WaPo paywall, but here's a short write-up. The wording is a bit different, though, and I think it's reasonable to expect some of that 33% were commenting on the election system as a whole, rather than allegations of the election being stolen.

https://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politics/2016/1113/Why-a-third-of-Clinton-supporters-say-Trump-s-victory-is-illegitimate
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2020, 07:04:01 PM »

You know, if this election was stolen it will probably the first time in the history of stolen elections that an opposition party managed to "steal" an election.

That doesn't make Trump look very good... being the one in power and still managing to get an election stolen under your ass.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2020, 10:26:08 PM »

This is what happens when you allow years (and decades) of normalizing the creation of a fake version of reality by one political faction.
Asta

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2020, 10:35:48 PM »

These people will literally believe anything.

They demand overwhelming evidence for reports that run counter to their preconceived beliefs, but require the fewest and even no evidence to justify their delusional propositions.

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2020, 10:44:29 PM »

These people are incredibly stupid and/or disingenuous. 

However, I think going forward it would be a good idea to enact rules about releasing vote counts to the media.  For instance, maybe counties shouldn't release same day versus absentee separate.  They should have to wait until the entire county has counties all of its non-provisional ballots before releasing any numbers. 

Trump was able to capitalize on the changing numbers to create a false narrative while people were paying attention.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2020, 10:48:18 PM »

This illustrates how increasingly difficult it is to get crossover support. I doubt more than a handful who believe this could have been persuaded to vote blue at the top of the ticket, although it might have been slightly less dire downballot.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2020, 11:35:36 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2020, 11:39:51 PM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

Trump has succeeded brilliantly in sabotaging Biden's presidency before it even began.  With more than 80% of Trump's delusional base believing the election was stolen from them, is there anyone here who doesn't think that won't affect how congressional Republicans will approach President-elect Biden going forward?  

His appeals to national unity have fallen upon deaf ears.  And our capacity for self-government is increasingly in question.   
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2020, 11:39:21 PM »

Trump has succeeded brilliantly in sabotaging Biden's presidency before it even began.  With more than 80% of Trump's delusional base believing the election was stolen from them, is there anyone here who doesn't think that won't affect how congressional Republicans will approach President-elect Biden going forward?  

I don't think it will affect how they approach him all that much. In the main, they were going to be obstructionist anyway.
Benjamin Frank
Frank
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2020, 11:41:24 PM »

They're right, it was stolen.  And the Georgia Senate run-offs are also rigged for the Democrats to win. If you're a Republican living in Georgia, you need not waste your time voting in the run-offs.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2020, 11:43:05 PM »

I don't think it will affect how they approach him all that much. In the main, they were going to be obstructionist anyway.

I held out some small hope that Biden's long record in the Senate and the relationships he forged while he was there might have made a difference.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2020, 11:44:04 PM »

I held out some small hope that Biden's long record in the Senate and the relationships he forged while he was there might have made a difference.

McConnell was probably the death of that with or without Trump.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2020, 11:46:47 PM »

Not entirely, as it was his and then-Vice President Biden's partnership that ended the 'fiscal cliff' Mexican stand-off in 2012 between the Obama administration and congressional Republicans.  
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2020, 11:49:04 PM »

Not entirely, as it was his and Biden's partnership that ended the 'fiscal cliff' Mexican stand-off in 2012 between the Obama administration and congressional Republicans. 

The grand bargain was bad and the Obama administration should have threatened more unilateral executive action to get a better legislative deal. If that kind of deal is the kind of bipartisanship to be expected from the Biden administration, Democrats might be better off voting Hawley.
Panda Express

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2020, 11:51:55 PM »

If they felt strongly it was stolen, they would be protesting en masse in the streets. They say it was stolen because they are weak and need to feel better. I’ve seen some are already at the bargaining stage of grief (Well, Trump can run in 2024!)
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2020, 11:55:39 PM »

If they felt strongly it was stolen, they would be protesting en masse in the streets. They say it was stolen because they are weak and need to feel better. I’ve seen some are already at the bargaining stage of grief (Well, Trump can run in 2024!)

^ This. I imagine a lot of them are like "yeah, it was stolen, but I really don't care that much."
Buzz

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2020, 11:57:37 PM »

What is the source of this information?  I think this thread should be removed for misinformation because the source of the data is likely fraudulent just like the polls to help send an invalid agenda.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2020, 11:59:16 PM »

Kind of what happened with the Jill Stein recounts. Even though it was a waste of money and time, it still helped me work through my grief on Hillary losing. Trump supporters saying the election was rigged is probably a way for them to work through their feelings.
Buzz

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2020, 12:05:19 AM »

Fake news until I see legit proof.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2020, 12:07:33 AM »

We have that Morning Consult poll that showed 70% of republicans thought the election wasn't "free or fair". Not sure where the 83% number is coming from though. Can't find the survey this woman is referring too.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2020, 12:08:49 AM »

Yeah, I'm definitely going to need to see the source on this one.
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2020, 12:25:22 AM »

We had a thread about this a week before the election.

What will Trump supporters blame if he loses?
Most of them won't accept that he lost and claim it was rigged, at least for the next couple of months. The ones who do accept the loss will blame it on COVID-19 without acknowledging Trump's role in mismanaging it.

This seems to be what is happening right now. If we wait a month or two, most of this uproar should die down. Anyone radical enough to take matters into their own hands will be dealt with by law enforcement.
VBM
VBNMWEB
YaBB God

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2020, 12:30:23 AM »

Denial <-- We're still here
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance
Republicans exist in a perpetual state of denial and anger in regards to pretty much everything, so they will never get past the first 2 stages
Buzz

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2020, 12:46:20 AM »

If we're just pulling numbers out of our a$$ tonight, 83% of Democrats think the election was fraudulent!  No I don’t have anything to back this up, just consume and accept!
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2020, 12:56:50 AM »

We have that Morning Consult poll that showed 70% of republicans thought the election wasn't "free or fair". Not sure where the 83% number is coming from though. Can't find the survey this woman is referring too.

The fact we think it entirely plausible (and why not?) that 83% of Republicans believe that the election was stolen despite the absence of a study substantiating that claim speaks volumes about where we are as a country.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies