Do you think Kamala Harris helped the Biden ticket in the end?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 06:41:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Do you think Kamala Harris helped the Biden ticket in the end?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Opinion?
Yes(D)

No(D)

Yes(I)

No(I)

Yes(R)

No(R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 131

Author Topic: Do you think Kamala Harris helped the Biden ticket in the end?  (Read 2424 times)
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2020, 08:00:19 PM »

If anything, Harris may have played a role in limiting the swing to Biden that many were expecting among the white working class. However, I think she provided him the necessary edge with suburbanites to win Arizona and Georgia. Nevertheless, this doesn't change my opinion of her, and I still think Biden would have been better off with Julian Castro (who would have kept him more competitive with Hispanics and possibly enabled him to win Florida and Texas), Cory Booker (who would have countered the pro-Trump swing among black men), or Tammy Duckworth (who would have given Biden more comfortable margins in the Blue Wall states while still helping him with suburbanites).
SN2903
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: 3.91

P P
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2020, 08:09:06 PM »

No she hurt with Hispanics to some extent
Illini Moderate
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -4.00

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2020, 08:10:58 PM »

If anything, Harris may have played a role in limiting the swing to Biden that many were expecting among the white working class. However, I think she provided him the necessary edge with suburbanites to win Arizona and Georgia. Nevertheless, this doesn't change my opinion of her, and I still think Biden would have been better off with Julian Castro (who would have kept him more competitive with Hispanics and possibly enabled him to win Florida and Texas), Cory Booker (who would have countered the pro-Trump swing among black men), or Tammy Duckworth (who would have given Biden more comfortable margins in the Blue Wall states while still helping him with suburbanites).

How does Cory Booker appeal to black men besides the fact that he is one? His personality is straight up cringe and he acts like a suburban elitist.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2020, 08:27:27 PM »

How does Cory Booker appeal to black men besides the fact that he is one? His personality is straight up cringe and he acts like a suburban elitist.

I've never been particularly fond of Cory Booker either, but he does have a much more substantive record on criminal justice and economic issues than Harris, and was the Mayor of Newark.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2020, 08:28:38 PM »

Karen Bass would have been a better pick.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2020, 08:37:29 PM »

"Better" is relative. If the goal is to lose Dade County outright, then sure, she would've been "better." But if the goal was to still win the election as a whole, then I don't know about that, chief.
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2020, 08:55:51 PM »

He might not win Georgia without her but he still wins the election.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2020, 09:21:40 PM »

The vice presidential pick mostly matters at three points:  the VP rollout, the convention speech and the VP debate.  From everything I have read, Harris was seen as performing well in all three parts.  Most polls showed her winning the VP debate.  

Especially given Biden's age, the best thing she could do was present herself as someone who could immediately assume the presidency if necessary.  Again, multiple polls I saw suggested the majority of the country saw her as a plausible president.

Finally, her nomination supercharged Biden's fundraising.

My answer is yes.
Buzz

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2020, 09:30:33 PM »

No if anything she hurt the ticket.  Biden won because of Biden.
beaver2.0
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -0.52

P P

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2020, 09:34:05 PM »

Before Biden made the pick, I looked at the list of top contenders and thought that Val Demings would have been the best choice.

The law and order background might have been useful to sway independents fearful of BLM.

Also, Val Demings is a full black, unlike Kamala Harris.

In retrospect Val Demings would have been a good VP pick, she would help keep Florida more competivie(especially central florida) and she is a married woman with children so she can appeal to more voters who are supportive of gender roles. Kamala doesnt have any children and is from California so I wonder if she may hurt him

As I said during the VP selection, if "Kamala is a cop" became a meme there would've been outright revolt among the left if an actual cop was the pick.

Demings wouldn't have won Biden Florida either, she's a non factor in the SoFlo corridor.
I'm not sure I agree.  Harris had allegations of elitism around her that I don't think a rank and file cop would have.  Demings was a cop, and a high-up one a that, and this was a bad year for a VP in law enforcement, but in my mind there's a difference between a cop enforcing the law and a prosecutor.

That all said, I can't see Demings bringing in that many voters but given much of the base's acceptance of Harris, I just don't think Demings would've fared that much worse just based on her background.
mark_twain
United States

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2020, 09:44:38 PM »
« Edited: November 09, 2020, 09:48:19 PM by mark_twain »

Before Biden made the pick, I looked at the list of top contenders and thought that Val Demings would have been the best choice.

The law and order background might have been useful to sway independents fearful of BLM.

So?  Obama is also half black.

I think some blacks would actually care about the candidate being full black versus half black.

Another related factor is that Kamala Harris is from the west coast (more hip), whereas Val Demings is from the east coast (more traditional), which more closely fits the background of most black people.

Another thing is that Obama mixed in well with full blacks during his college years, and he learned to talk like them. Harris' accent isn't as black as Obama's.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2020, 09:51:04 PM »

So?  Obama is also half black.

I think some blacks would actually care about the candidate being full black versus half black.

Another related factor is that Kamala Harris is from the west coast (more hip), whereas Val Demings is from the east coast (more traditional), which more closely fits the background of most black people.

Another thing is that Obama mixed in well with full blacks during his college years, and he learned to talk like them. Harris' accent isn't as black as Obama's.
Um, this post is very *suspect*. Please, calm it down with the dog-whistles.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2020, 09:52:37 PM »

No if anything she hurt the ticket.  Biden won because of Biden.
She did NOT hurt the ticket lol. You guys just say anything because you all personally hate Kamala.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2020, 09:54:47 PM »

Cory Booker wouldn't have done anything to stop the "pro-Trump swing among Black men" lol. Cory Booker is widely viewed as a softer, off-brand version of President Obama lol.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2020, 10:18:25 PM »

Another thing is that Obama mixed in well with full blacks during his college years

Weird argument considering Harris went to Howard.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2020, 10:28:19 PM »

Cory Booker wouldn't have done anything to stop the "pro-Trump swing among Black men" lol. Cory Booker is widely viewed as a softer, off-brand version of President Obama lol.

He certainly would have had more credibility than Kamala Harris. Harris is much more intensely disliked or mistrusted than Booker. Like I've said before, I voted for Biden in spite of her.
mark_twain
United States

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2020, 10:30:44 PM »

Another thing is that Obama mixed in well with full blacks during his college years

Sorry about that...actually, I meant to say that Obama mixed in right after graduating from college, in Chicago.

Just listen to their speeches. It is obvious that Obama has much more linguistic talent in terms of making his voice sound good. I think this is one of the main strengths of his speaking ability.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2020, 10:44:16 PM »

Biden had +6 favourability in the exit polls compared to Harris +1
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2020, 10:52:42 PM »

He certainly would have had more credibility than Kamala Harris. Harris is much more intensely disliked or mistrusted than Booker. Like I've said before, I voted for Biden in spite of her.
That's just your personal opinion.

Sorry about that...actually, I meant to say that Obama mixed in right after graduating from college, in Chicago.

Just listen to their speeches. It is obvious that Obama has much more linguistic talent in terms of making his voice sound good. I think this is one of the main strengths of his speaking ability.
Once again, stop with the dog-whistles. Kamala grew up in Oakland, a city with a vibrant African-American community.

Also, Kamala would be judged differently for code-switching because 1) she's a woman and 2) she would be more heavily accused of "pandering".
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2020, 11:14:36 PM »

That's just your personal opinion.

Once again, stop with the dog-whistles. Kamala grew up in Oakland, a city with a vibrant African-American community.

Also, Kamala would be judged differently for code-switching because 1) she's a woman and 2) she would be more heavily accused of "pandering".

I wouldn't say so. Many blacks-especially black men-are skeptical of Kamala Harris, and aren't particularly fond of her. Yes, many black women were enthused by her candidacy, but I don't think Harris helped Biden that much with black voters, or with minority voters overall. It's clear by now that Biden's victory over Trump last week was fueled by his gains among college-educated suburbanites.
UncleSam

« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2020, 01:19:39 AM »

I think she marginally hurt him but was a safe choice when he knew he was ahead. In that sense, she didn't really hurt him badly and that was all she had to do, so she did her job.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2020, 01:21:25 AM »

I'm not sure. I think it probably did but I'm leaning towards it having very little effect.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2020, 05:01:46 AM »

Yes, and she will help with the GOTV, but she will be seen by middle class voters as Hillary esque if she runs at the top of the ticket in 2024.

She isn't the heir apparent to Biden, she will face stiff competetion in 2028. Joe Kennedy is a blue dog and get over the AOC and Market alliance, by running for Senate. By 2022, Warren is poised to run for Cabinet secretary than stay in Senate, when Ds pickup seats in 2022

That's why I am glad AOC leadership role to challenge Schumer went up in smoke, there are plenty of liberals in MA that could of carried on Market legacy. Market loss wouldn't have mattered that much
roxas11
United States

« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2020, 05:35:27 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2020, 05:38:47 AM by roxas11 »

to be frank Im convinced that Harris is big part of the reason why Biden ended winning GA

I'm not sure that biden would have done as well as he did had he picked someone else as his VP
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #49 on: November 10, 2020, 06:04:10 AM »

Biden had +6 favourability in the exit polls compared to Harris +1

Harris had +8 favorable, per CNN exits. Biden +6.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies