Who is Time person of the year?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 03, 2024, 11:06:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Who is Time person of the year?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Who is Time person of the year?  (Read 2047 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2020, 07:10:49 PM »

Easily Fauci/essential workers. Though there might be a chance that it's Biden too.

Either way, Trump will be furious and I can't wait!
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2020, 09:33:32 PM »

I’ve never been a fan of them naming groups of people, I like naming an individual who has lead/represents that group. For that reason I think Anthony Fauci should the POTY
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2020, 10:09:26 PM »

Hm...

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2020, 10:57:08 PM »

And it's Biden & Harris lol

forza nocta

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2020, 10:59:08 PM »

Im surprised, but not surprised at the same time.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2020, 10:59:40 PM »

Yikes
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2020, 11:09:43 PM »

I’ve never been a fan of them naming groups of people, I like naming an individual who has lead/represents that group. For that reason I think Anthony Fauci should the POTY

I agree. It's something they've done far too often. The past couple years have been really bad choices, apart from picking Trump in 2016. Not that it's relevant this year, but I don't think they'd have the courage today to do a pick like 1979.

Like most years, the President of the United States or President-elect is always a strong choice.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2020, 11:31:12 PM »
« Edited: December 11, 2020, 01:42:45 AM by We Made PA Blue Again! »

Not surprised. The winner of the presidential election almost always gets it. Although, I did think Fauci and/or healthcare workers were going to pull off the upset.

Adding Harris is also pretty neat, given the glass ceiling she shattered.
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2020, 11:55:43 PM »

TWEETS INCOMING!
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2020, 11:56:59 PM »

Biden and Harris is an odd pick, given it's usually just the presidential winner.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2020, 12:05:43 AM »

Trump should still be a lock for Time's Traitor of the Year
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2020, 01:02:26 AM »

Biden and Harris is an odd pick, given it's usually just the presidential winner.
Well, Kamala being elected as the 1st female and Black/South Asian VP is HISTORIC. It would actually be negligent if they only named Biden lol.
Catholics vs. Convicts
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2020, 01:12:52 AM »

Absolutely insane they didn't select the medical workers. I don't even think Fauci was really deserving, but if it was the Fauci + medical workers package, it clearly should have been them. The racial equality movement also was deserving but COVID was the bigger story this year.

Idk how they justify Biden & Kamala. I guess they probably thought if Biden was going to be person of the year this was probably his only shot. But still, Biden won mostly by playing things safe and not screwing up. The campaign, while healing, wasn't the most inspirational thing ever. Idk how they think he is the story of the year.

And it makes sense they had to include Kamala to justify the Biden pick, due to the obvious importance of what she accomplished. But its a weird choice and it was probably the wrong one.

All this being said, it doesn't really matter.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2020, 04:51:52 AM »

They stole Time's Person of the Year from Trump though a RIGGED election!
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2020, 06:16:40 AM »

He can still get Crybaby of the Year.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2020, 06:20:39 AM »

This, but unironically.

I know the pick isn't really good most of the time but this is a particularly stupid pick.

Always picking the winner of the US presidential election is very stupid (last time a new president didn't get picked was 1988). It is of course ridiculously US centric (somewhat forgivable since Time is a US magazine).

The big story of the year is not the US election (probably close 2nd in the US though but not close at all globally); it is COVID. If there was a year when a "meme pick" like healthcare workers or something like that was justified; it was this one. George Floyd and racial injustice movements would have also been a much better pick too.

Even if Time wanted to do a US election pick, Biden & Harris is the wrong pick. They should have picked Donald Trump.

If one thing characterized the US election is that it was centered exclusively around Trump, everything revolved about whether himself as a person (reelection campaigns often are a referendum on the incumbent). And of course, Trump did have tons of controversial moments regarding COVID so that is another angle that adds to it.

If I was in charge of Time, I'd have picked "Medical workers"; with George Floyd and Donald Trump as runner ups. Indeed any of the 3 runner ups they picked would have been a much better choice. Biden & Harris would not make the list.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2020, 06:36:07 AM »

Yeah, I also think it should have been Fauci and medical workers. That is THE story of 2020 that will be remembered by everyone alive this year for the rest of our lives. And with the vaccines coming out now, it perfectly bookends the "story" of 2020. If they really want to give it to Biden and Harris, give it to them next year when they take office and start to govern.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2020, 06:48:37 AM »

This, but unironically.

I know the pick isn't really good most of the time but this is a particularly stupid pick.

Always picking the winner of the US presidential election is very stupid (last time a new president didn't get picked was 1988). It is of course ridiculously US centric (somewhat forgivable since Time is a US magazine).

The big story of the year is not the US election (probably close 2nd in the US though but not close at all globally); it is COVID. If there was a year when a "meme pick" like healthcare workers or something like that was justified; it was this one. George Floyd and racial injustice movements would have also been a much better pick too.

Even if Time wanted to do a US election pick, Biden & Harris is the wrong pick. They should have picked Donald Trump.

If one thing characterized the US election is that it was centered exclusively around Trump, everything revolved about whether himself as a person (reelection campaigns often are a referendum on the incumbent). And of course, Trump did have tons of controversial moments regarding COVID so that is another angle that adds to it.

If I was in charge of Time, I'd have picked "Medical workers"; with George Floyd and Donald Trump as runner ups. Indeed any of the 3 runner ups they picked would have been a much better choice. Biden & Harris would not make the list.

Actually, given the reason for the "award", medical workers would have been a terrible choice. The POTY issue isn't about honoring someone, it's about selling magazines. If there was someone who was a charismatic face of the vaccine research effort, he might have gotten POTY, but there hasn't been a Salk or Sabin like there was for polio.
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2020, 07:00:24 AM »

This, but unironically.

Actually, given the reason for the "award", medical workers would have been a terrible choice. The POTY issue isn't about honoring someone, it's about selling magazines. If there was someone who was a charismatic face of the vaccine research effort, he might have gotten POTY, but there hasn't been a Salk or Sabin like there was for polio.

I mean, the official explanation given for the award is this:

features and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year".

I find it very hard to find an explanation as to how Biden & Harris have been the 2 people that have done the most to influence the events of the year.

Even if you think that is all to save face and the real reason is a cynical "whoever can sell most magazines"; why Biden and Harris? I will admit no COVID-related person really could get that kind of charisma (Fauci might come close-ish but not enough I suppose)

The runner ups were much better choices in that aspect too.

The racial injustice movement (probably the 2nd story of the year, even if it is distantly behind COVID) did have one person who spearheaded it and acted as a charismatic face of the movement. George Floyd would have been a good pick on that aspect too.

Admittedly no one has received the award posthumously, but there is certainly more than enough justificaction to pick Floyd.

And like I said, if they want to pick a US election related person, Trump is a better pick than Biden/Harris. He was the one who shaped the election; and would sell just as many magazines.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2020, 07:16:57 AM »

Trump would've sold more copies of the POTY issue, but just like bin Laden in 2001 if he'd been named, there would've been cancelled subscriptions.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2020, 07:37:40 AM »

I mean, the official explanation given for the award is this:

features and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year".

If they want to stick to this definition, they should have given it to whatever local officials in Wuhan were most responsible for the initial cover-up and delayed response. If Time did an investigation into that, it would probably be a pretty interesting case study to train people in ethics in emergency responses.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2020, 09:28:30 AM »

Time had no credibility before this yet continues to somehow stoop lower. What a slap in the face to the people who literally risk their lives every day trying to save others in a year where so many have died from the worst pandemic in generations.

But yes lets give it to the forgetful presidential candidate and his evil sidekick.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2020, 09:56:43 AM »

Time had no credibility before this yet continues to somehow stoop lower. What a slap in the face to the people who literally risk their lives every day trying to save others in a year where so many have died from the worst pandemic in generations.

But yes lets give it to the forgetful presidential candidate and his evil sidekick.
The president elect is always the person of the year
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2020, 10:09:14 AM »

Should have been essential workers this year and maybe Biden/Harris next year if they rolled out the vaccines , logistics, and provided economic relief to get us back to normalcy. This was really poor taste to not recognize the medical and frontline workers who kept society functioning in a pandemic with unprecedented challenges.

ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2020, 10:09:17 AM »
« Edited: December 11, 2020, 10:14:46 AM by ηєω ƒяσηтιєя »

Wow, some of you are really angry over this lol. Geez, relax guys, TIME magazine isn't sacred.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies