democrats, which potential gop candidate do you think could be quite strong vs biden?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:53:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  2024 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, GeorgiaModerate, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  democrats, which potential gop candidate do you think could be quite strong vs biden?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: democrats, which potential gop candidate do you think could be quite strong vs biden?  (Read 1981 times)
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2020, 10:36:24 PM »

AKA, which candidate do you think could maintain trump-like margins in rural areas, but make fair/decent gains in the suburban areas trump did poorly in?

I know it it way early, just wondering.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 10:37:19 PM »

Trump.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 10:48:32 PM »

Since I don't believe that there are any politicians capable of achieving the incredible turnout Trump brought, I think that the best bet would be Rubio or maybe Kasich, who have broader appeals and don't frighten people enough to turn out massively against them, which is why Biden won.

The problem with replicating 2016 is that perhaps the most important aspect of Trumpism is the decades-long apolitical celebrity and name recognition of Trump himself.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2020, 10:53:04 PM »

Since I don't believe that there are any politicians capable of achieving the incredible turnout Trump brought, I think that the best bet would be Rubio or maybe Kasich, who have broader appeals and don't frighten people enough to turn out massively against them, which is why Biden won.

The problem with replicating 2016 is that perhaps the most important aspect of Trumpism is the decades-long apolitical celebrity and name recognition of Trump himself.

I have been thinking about this a lot.

I at first was very scared that a post-trump gop would suffer from horrific turnout that would plague them for several cycles, but then I remembered:

trump also massively boosted turnout among those who opposed him, so it could be that the decline in gop turnout is offset by decline in turnout among the Left.

a biden vs kasich 2024 race would be very low turnout.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2020, 10:53:35 PM »

I wonder if it will even matter. If America goes limping forward for years under Biden and an obstructionist Congress, and Biden or whoever the 2024 Democratic nominee is loses some ground like the last two incumbents have, then there isn't a whole lot of wiggle room. If Biden wins by ~4% now, and were to lose about half of that in 2024, then you're in 2016 territory.

So it might not take a strong candidate, and the political environment and trends may make a weaker challenger look stronger than they are.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2020, 10:54:57 PM »

The Republican Party is a dying brand because conservativism has failed wherever it's been tried and inequality has gotten so much worse. Their only hope is to enflame millions of low-info voters like 2016 with an offensive celebrity and a right-wing smear campaign against Biden. But who out there is like Trump? He's a singular figure in American history.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2020, 10:58:57 PM »

2020 basically proved that when turnout is about as sky-high as is possible for both sides in this country, the Democrats still win.

The GOP needs to repair its appeal to suburban voters but they can't do that if they run someone like Trump. What they need to do is run a candidate that doesn't strike fear into the hearts of over 50% of the country.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 11:56:35 PM »

Trump.
He saved the GOP.
That is why I despise him so much.
One Term Floridian
swamiG

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: 3.13

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2020, 12:28:24 AM »

I have been thinking about this a lot.

I at first was very scared that a post-trump gop would suffer from horrific turnout that would plague them for several cycles, but then I remembered:

trump also massively boosted turnout among those who opposed him, so it could be that the decline in gop turnout is offset by decline in turnout among the Left.

a biden vs kasich 2024 race would be very low turnout.

0% chance Kasich gets nominated after being the most high-profile Republican to endorse Biden this year
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2020, 09:22:17 AM »

Tucker Carlson is Trump but smarter. He scares the sht out of me.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2020, 09:25:02 AM »

Talking heads like him have lots of really bad soundbites. Not in the 'He said something offensive,' way, but 'He's said so much you can easily paint him as a hypocritical elite with the right cuts.'
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2020, 09:47:40 AM »

Biden doesn't have any weaknesses as Prez and Trump tried to same play as they did on Hillary with Benghazi v Hunter Biden

Trump beat Hillary due to fact she wasn't a life long politician, she didn't face stiff completion running against Rick Lazio for Senate. Hillary was a weak candidate anyways. That's why she lost to Obama in 2008 primary

Rs are 0/3 against Biden and Obama, it's time for the Rs to realize that they may not take back the WH for the rest of the decade🌊🌊🌊 and Ossoff and Warnock will win due to fact Prez Biden and Veep Harris are in ACT BLUE now raising money for both of them and will campaign for them for GOTV
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 10:14:48 AM »

Basically anyone, the least accomplished presidential administration since William Henry Harrison won't be a formidable opponent
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 10:24:14 AM »

Any of Abbott, DeSantis, Carlson, or Ernst would start favored vs. Harris and 50/50 vs. Biden if he runs again. 

Trump pulling a Cleveland is at least plausible after COVID is a distant memory, but he will be very old in 2024 and probably enjoying retirement and/or his primetime Fox show.

Pence or Haley would be a mistake.  Rubio or Cruz would be a yuge mistake.

Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2020, 10:48:35 AM »

Chris Christie.
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2020, 11:39:52 AM »

Talking heads like him have lots of really bad soundbites. Not in the 'He said something offensive,' way, but 'He's said so much you can easily paint him as a hypocritical elite with the right cuts.'

Trump had stuff like that, too, but nobody cared.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2020, 11:49:53 AM »

Trump had stuff like that, too, but nobody cared.

That's true, but I think being a talking head (not a well-liked profession) makes Carlson much more vulnerable to these kinds of attacks than a straight-talkingTM, American Dream-fulfilling Businessman. I suspect he'll be held to a somewhat higher standard even by the populists - at least, in the primaries.
Medal506
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2020, 11:52:40 AM »

Tucked is more like Pat Buchanan than he is Trump.

Newt Gingrich is more similar to a smart Donald Trump.
Hope For A New Era
EastOfEden
YaBB God

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2020, 11:56:40 AM »

No. No one carries the same power as Trump. That has become very clear.

The only one who might is Ron DeSantis, because people associate him so strongly with Trump.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2020, 02:57:54 PM »

Any of Abbott, DeSantis, Carlson, or Ernst would start favored vs. Harris and 50/50 vs. Biden if he runs again. 

Trump pulling a Cleveland is at least plausible after COVID is a distant memory, but he will be very old in 2024 and probably enjoying retirement and/or his primetime Fox show.

if WNC are 38% of the electorate in 2024 - it becomes mathematically difficult for Rs to win the presidency.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2020, 03:03:56 PM »

if WNC are 38% of the electorate in 2024 - it becomes mathematically difficult for Rs to win the presidency.

H I S P A N I C  T R E N D S
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2020, 03:39:43 PM »

Tim Scott is basically the only Black GOPer who hasn't earned a reputation as a nutcase, so he'd be strong and exacerbate our issues with black men.

Phil Scott or Charlie Baker would be very powerful, as would a GOP built in their image.  But they'll never make it through a primary because that's not what the GOP is.

The scariest Republican is Chris Christie circa 2011.  We dodged a bullet in that he was too much of an obstinate douchebag to run against Romney.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2020, 04:22:38 PM »

Rs need to look at WI, MI, PA very carefully and if Biden is the nominee again in 2024 Kent County, MI, Erie County, PA, and WOW COUNTIES of WI wont flip back to Hillary levels of supports irregardless if Covid is still with us in a less severe form in 2024 which it is
💥💥 brandon bro (he/him/his)
peenie_weenie
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2020, 07:50:45 PM »

Trump and Carlson for sure, but I have the feeling Hawley has the potential to annihilate both of these candidates. If Biden runs again, the age-contrast will be too much to withstand. If Biden doesn't run, I don't have very much confidence in the absolute worst campaigner of the 2020 primaries against him.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2020, 08:00:08 PM »

Not a Democrat, but.....

Someone like DeSantis or Hawley could potentially get the job done but it depends on whether Biden is the nominee or not. Carlson could potentially too but I doubt he has serious aspirations to run.

Trump wouldn't win against Biden and probably not against Harris either.

Pence would be a mistake and would get smoked even more badly.

It all depends on the circumstances. If the pandemic ends within the first two years of Biden's presidency and the economy starts to rise to new heights than Biden would be nigh unstoppable in 2024 and would give any Democrat who succeeds him (assuming he doesn't run again) a boost. If the economy sinks further and we're somehow still in the pandemic by 2024 then it probably doesn't matter who the GOP runs as the GOP would easily win whoever the nominee is. If Biden doesn't run, The 2024 election is firmly up for grabs.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies