WH to Bob Dole in 1980 if he has been VP to Ford since '77?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:08:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  WH to Bob Dole in 1980 if he has been VP to Ford since '77?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: WH to Bob Dole in 1980 if he has been VP to Ford since '77?  (Read 719 times)
(no subject)
Jolly Slugg
Australia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 08, 2020, 10:21:26 AM »

POD: A few less gaffes/tighter campaign and Gerry Ford narrowly beats Carter.

What happens to the now Vice-President Dole in 1980?
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 10:34:22 AM »

Mondale defeats him.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 10:46:58 PM »

He runs for President in 1980 and loses the nomination to Reagan who goes on to lose the General election to the Democratic nominee. After this, he either runs in 1984 and becomes the sacrificial lamb who takes the fall to a Democratic incumbent (assuming the economy fares similarly) or he pulls a Hubert Humphrey and makes a Political comeback in the Senate post Vice Presidency.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 01:09:00 AM »

I think we can safely say that the losing running mate from 1976 won't get the Democratic nomination in 1980. If the Democrats decide to go for their left rather than their center in 1980, Teddy gets the nomination, not Walter.

Unless a Democrat unexpectedly won the special election for the remainder of Dole's Senate term, Dole won't try to regain his Senate seat in 1980, so almost certainly he seeks the Republican nomination.

I wasn't trying for this, but assuming Anderson still tries his third-party run, I end up with the election ending up in Congress thanks to him taking enough votes from Dole to deny him Pennsylvania and Vermont. Kennedy wins the House, and likely the Democrats retain the Senate and thus the Vice Presidency as well.

President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 01:13:50 AM »

I think we can safely say that the losing running mate from 1976 won't get the Democratic nomination in 1980. If the Democrats decide to go for their left rather than their center in 1980, Teddy gets the nomination, not Walter.

Unless a Democrat unexpectedly won the special election for the remainder of Dole's Senate term, Dole won't try to regain his Senate seat in 1980, so almost certainly he seeks the Republican nomination.

I wasn't trying for this, but assuming Anderson still tries his third-party run, I end up with the election ending up in Congress thanks to him taking enough votes from Dole to deny him Pennsylvania and Vermont. Kennedy wins the House, and likely the Democrats retain the Senate and thus the Vice Presidency as well.

That's an East-West split more extreme and complete than has ever been seen in a US presidential election.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 02:05:19 PM »

That's an East-West split more extreme and complete than has ever been seen in a US presidential election.

The Reagan blowouts obscure how much of an East-West divide we had in the 1980s. Since then, the Democrats have gained in the Pacific Coast and Southwest while Republicans have gained in the South.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies