Did Trump crash amongst young evangelicals?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:41:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Did Trump crash amongst young evangelicals?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Did Trump crash amongst young evangelicals?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 21

Author Topic: Did Trump crash amongst young evangelicals?  (Read 1367 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 04, 2021, 05:52:04 PM »

The swing in some Christian university precincts seems to indicate so...
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 06:37:37 PM »

I don't know if McMullin was on the ballot in all the areas you're looking at, but it could be McMullin voters from 2016 switching over to Biden this year without that sort of candidate on the ballot. That would certainly explain part of Lynchburg's huge swing.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 06:49:43 PM »

Lynchburg flip among other things suggests he might have.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 07:55:35 PM »

I don't know if McMullin was on the ballot in all the areas you're looking at, but it could be McMullin voters from 2016 switching over to Biden this year without that sort of candidate on the ballot. That would certainly explain part of Lynchburg's huge swing.

McMullin was on the ballot in Minnesota and he did well in the precinct that includes Bethel University. But Trump's numbers also crashed. He went from 42% to 31%.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 11:11:50 PM »

Liberty was doing distance learning and liberty university is infamously bad even within the university of evangelical universities.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2021, 11:36:41 PM »

Liberty was doing distance learning and liberty university is infamously bad even within the university of evangelical universities.
The Lynchburg flip was actually about decreased turnout on Liberty's campus.  I think I saw that Trump was still in the upper 80s on what was left of Liberty's campus.

Plus, there's my general note that campus precincts aren't great snapshots to the views of a broad set of students.  In my experience, few undergrads actually vote on campus, and the votes tend to get swallowed by professors/grad students/academic types.  And, I could see a bit of a decline with those sorts of evangelicals (think David French).

But, I will say that I go to a huge young adults ministry of about 200 evangelicals in our 20s, and Trump had virtually unanimous support there, at least among the people who publicly discuss politics.  If anyone there voted for Biden, they kept very quiet about it.  Although, the Trump support is mostly not of the QAnon variety and pretty much everyone recognizes that Christ is King and Sovereign over all of this.  I also go to another smaller ministry of about 15 evangelicals in our 20s at another church.  In that one, the Trump support was probably more like 70-80%, with several not satisfied with either.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 07:56:24 AM »

Of course, many college universities including Trinity and other Missionary school went remotely. So, I would suspect that he suffered with these youngsters too.

Future schooling isn't in the classroom and paying 200K to Ivy League Schools. It's remotely and that's good, if you don't get a job paying enough when you get out of schooling

Most schools didn't care about getting you a job they cared about their athletes
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 10:26:54 AM »

I doubt it. Young Christians in general probably swung to Democrats but fundamentalist Christians aren't going to stop voting straight-ticket Republican any time soon, if ever.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2021, 10:30:25 PM »

I doubt it. Young Christians in general probably swung to Democrats but fundamentalist Christians aren't going to stop voting straight-ticket Republican any time soon, if ever.

evangelical != fundamentalist. A common misconception. Bethel is definitely an evangelical school and has a conservative bent, but it's also definitely not a fundamentalist school like Bob Jones University or whatever. I actually have a friend who teaches Biology there and she's a liberal.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies