Now that Biden has "won", remember this:
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:02:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Now that Biden has "won", remember this:
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Now that Biden has "won", remember this:  (Read 5277 times)
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2020, 04:30:43 PM »

You just have to accept that Donald Trump was a bad President and a bad person, and he has paid the price for it.

I accept neither.

The only thing I accept at this point is that he lost the Popular Vote.

Good Presidents don’t lose re-election
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #51 on: November 07, 2020, 04:44:57 PM »

Let the blue avatars sulk, they said it was Hillary's funeral when she had to concede it's now time for Trump to feel that election pain, after you had 70 M supporters back you.

He fell short, just like Hillary did,
Fuzzy Stands With His Friend, Chairman Sanchez
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: November 07, 2020, 08:58:19 PM »

You just have to accept that Donald Trump was a bad President and a bad person, and he has paid the price for it.

I accept neither.

Grover Cleveland, William Howard Taft, Herbert Hoover, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, and George H. W. Bush were all "good Presidents".  They were not candidates for Mount Rushmore, but they weren't Hardings, Pierces, or Buchanans.  (Taft and Bush, arguably, would have won re-election were it not for significant third-party challenges.)
tjstarling
Rookie

« Reply #53 on: November 07, 2020, 08:59:18 PM »

I accept neither.

Grover Cleveland, William Howard Taft, Herbert Hoover, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, and George H. W. Bush were all "good Presidents".  They were not candidates for Mount Rushmore, but they weren't Hardings, Pierces, or Buchanans.  (Taft and Bush, arguably, would have won re-election were it not for significant third-party challenges.)
Herbert Hoover?
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #54 on: November 07, 2020, 09:00:31 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDHvYdi6Bu4
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #55 on: November 07, 2020, 09:01:18 PM »

I accept neither.

Herbert Hoover was absolutely a bad president, and I think there's definitely a good argument to be made for Cleveland, Taft, and Ford as well, at the very least.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #56 on: November 07, 2020, 09:13:55 PM »

I accept neither.

Most of those Presidents were mediocre at best. And Hoover was absolutely a bad President.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #57 on: November 07, 2020, 11:20:27 PM »

I accept neither.

Herbert Hoover?

Hoover was not a bad President.  He was overwhelmed by the Depression, but he wasn't lost at his job.  He wasn't a Franklin Pierce or a James Buchanan.  He wasn't a Warren Harding (who was popular and who would have been re-elected in a landslide).

Had Hoover been elected in a different time he'd have been an outstanding President.  Indeed, if he had been President in the 1920s he would have curbed some of the free market excesses that led to the Stock Market crash of 1929.
forsythvoter

« Reply #58 on: November 07, 2020, 11:30:00 PM »

I am pretty open to voting D or R down ballot and would consider myself a bit of a "swing" voter. I think the problem with the OP is that he assumes that swing voters like me will solely blame Biden if he can't get his legislation passed. And yes, I will evaluate the merits of what Biden tries to get passed.

However ,in 2022, I will also be well aware that Rs control the Supreme Court and (may) control the Senate majority (following the GA Senate runoffs). If I perceive the GOP as having done nothing but be obstructionists during Biden's first two years, I will be open to supporting folks who will be more willing to work more constructively with Biden.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #59 on: November 07, 2020, 11:35:45 PM »

Let the blue avatars sulk, they said it was Hillary's funeral when she had to concede it's now time for Trump to feel that election pain, after you had 70 M supporters back you.

He fell short, just like Hillary did,

Hillary had funeral due to fact that fireweil did not hold to 272 degrees.
tjstarling
Rookie

« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2020, 12:04:07 AM »

I accept neither.

Herbert Hoover?

Hoover was not a bad President.  He was overwhelmed by the Depression, but he wasn't lost at his job.  He wasn't a Franklin Pierce or a James Buchanan.  He wasn't a Warren Harding (who was popular and who would have been re-elected in a landslide).

Had Hoover been elected in a different time he’d may have been an outstanding President.  Indeed, if he had been President in the 1920s he would may have curbed some of the free market excesses that led to the Stock Market crash of 1929.
Fixed. Hoover, like Carter, was a decent person who’s biggest achievements lay outside their presidencies. But Hoover was a terrible politician and was ineptly conservative when confronting the depression. He was a bad president.
Bomster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.13, S: -7.95

P P
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2020, 02:08:20 AM »

He's going to be a lameduck from day one, he's not going get his prefered cabinet picks, he's not going to get anything done with a narrow house majority and a 52-48 R majority in the senate, no court packings, no DC/PR Statehood. The Supreme Court is 6-3 conservative, they're going to dismantle the ACA, also the Democrats are going to get slaughtered in 2022/off-year elections.

The Democratic party is also going go in a state of civil war with radical leftists in the one side, and centrists on the other, now that Trump is not POTUS anymore/for now.

Then 2024 happens where Rs will have a favorable map for the senate, starting out with 3 automatic pickups (OH, MT, WV) and more toss-up races for pickings, possibly putting Rs with a 60 seat majority.

Enjoy it while it lasts!
Cope.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #62 on: November 08, 2020, 05:58:50 AM »

lol at the butthurt Trump supporters.  Trump is a

LOSER

Don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #63 on: November 08, 2020, 06:16:59 AM »

I accept neither.

Herbert Hoover?

Had Hoover been elected in a different time he'd have been an outstanding President.  Indeed, if he had been President in the 1920s he would have curbed some of the free market excesses that led to the Stock Market crash of 1929.

A good president can handle and adapt to the times they're elected in. A bad president cannot.
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2020, 06:26:44 AM »

I accept neither.

Wait, does this mean that not even you are acknowledging that Biden won the election fair and square?

Man, what the hell happened to you? You used to be sort of reasonable back in the day, but seem to have deterioated into pure Trump cultism? Very concerning. I suggest you take a good long look in the mirror and consider whether this is who you really want to be.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2020, 10:02:07 AM »

I accept neither.

Herbert Hoover?

A good president can handle and adapt to the times they're elected in. A bad president cannot.

Donald Trump adapted to the times he was elected in excellently.  He resisted the ideas that had gained momentum in our society (Free Trade, interventionism) that were bad for our country.  He put forth a balanced response to COVID-19 that will be vindicated by history.  He stood for law and order at a time when his opponents were the ones actually "fanning the flames", encouraging BLM and Antifa criminality. 

Donald Trump accomplished record unemployment, a successful foreign policy (whose story seems to never be told) and he did it in the face of irrational opposition.  He allowed his persona to become the issue; that was his flaw, and that may have cost him a close election.  But in terms of policy, statecraft, and accomplishment, there was far more positive than negative.

https://tennesseestar.com/2020/11/03/victor-davis-hanson-commentary-donald-trump-counterrevolutionary/

Until Donald Trump’s arrival, the globalist revolution was almost solidified and institutionalized – with the United States increasingly its greatest and most “woke” advocate. We know its bipartisan establishment contours.

Until Trump’s arrival, Big Tech was three-quarters home on the road to Nineteen Eighty-Four. Five or six companies monopolized most American – and indeed the world’s – access and use of the internet. In cynical fashion, Silicon Valley grandees patronized naïve conservatives that they were the supposed embodiment of Milton Friedman libertarianism and 19th century robber baron daring. Yet to their leftist kindred, the moguls of Menlo Park simultaneously whispered, “Don’t worry about such necessary disinformation: we will enrich only your candidates, only your agendas, only your foundations, only your universities – in exchange for your exemptions.”

Until Trump’s arrival, there was increasingly no border at all. Fifty-million foreign-born resided, both legally and illegally, in the United States. Nearly a million annually walked northward across the border with ease and without legal sanction or invitation. To object to illegal immigration and decry its deleterious effects on the entry-level wages of our working poor, on the social safety net of the American needy, and on the sanctity of the law was to be smeared as racist, xenophobic, and nativist.

Until Trump, the American interior was loser country. In-between the two gilded coasts resided the deplorables, irredeemables, clingers, the smelly Walmart patrons decried in the Page-Strzok text echanges, those John McCain called “crazies,” and Joe Biden has variously called the “dregs,” the “chumps” and the “ugly folks.” They were written off as Morlocks, who were occasionally seen poking about the rotting, rusting skeletons of abandoned steel plants, and for some reason never had proper orthodontics as children.

The success of civil rights was not to be calibrated by black unemployment figures, household income, family businesses, dignity in having leverage over employers, access to competitive parochial and charter schools, or descending abortion rates, but in electing more activists as progressive mayors, liberal city councilmembers, and leftist district attorneys to garner more redistributive state money to hire more careerists like themselves.

Trump, branded a bigot and racist, for now has sought to end that revolution, and measure race relations not by how many minority elites have choice jobs and high incomes, but by how well the entire minority community reaches income and employment parity with the general population—an idea that will earn the “racist” Trump far greater minority support than was expressed for John McCain and Mitt Romney.

And Trump has stood firm against our Cultural Revolution, regardless of the odds.

Against all that money and clout, the counterrevolutionary Trump had only one asset, the proverbial people. He had solely the under-polled and the written-off. They came out to his rallies in the tens of thousands, deluded the pollsters, and told the media less than nothing, but voted and will vote in waves to save America from what it was becoming.

Donald Trump has more solid accomplishments against the most unreasoning opposition than any President in my lifetime, period.  Whether you like his accomplishments is another question.  I do like his accomplishments, and I like even more his resolve in standing against the enemies of our Constitutional Republic.  In many other eras, Trump would have been an unremarkable and mediocre President, but for THIS time, he was downright heroic.  He was, for many of us, a Godsend, in that he stood for OUR American Jobs, OUR Religious Freedom, when others undermined them, presented us with platitudes, and, when these failed to mollify us, called us names and told us to shut up and comply with their dictates.

And, as the cherry on the top of the Ice Cream Sundae, he did it while literally DOUBLING his share of the Black vote and significantly increasing the Republican share of the Hispanic Vote. 

How did THAT happen?  It happened because Donald Trump (A) is, actually, not a racist who (B) actually believes that Black and Hispanic folks are motivated by many of the same things the rest of us are:

Trump actually asked Blacks and Hispanics for their votes and appealed to them on the basis of self-interest.  Then he delivered on his promises in terms of producing greater prosperity for them.  In addition, he actually provided meaningful redress to issues relevant to these constituencies.  Criminal Justice reform, financial aid to HBCUs, are real concerns for these folks, and Trump did something constructive.  Blacks and Hispanics are not different from other folks; they reward people who deliver for them, and elected officials are rewarded with votes. 

I consider this a tremendous development, not just because it debunks the canard that Donald Trump is a "racist", but because it is a direct hit to the corrosive Identity Politics that has utterly poisoned our nation.  Blacks and Hispanics have, in their numbers, a larger than average number of Biblical Christians and an above-average number of entrepreneurs running their own businesses.  These folks have got to have some degree of disconnect with today's Democratic Party and its hostility toward both Biblical Christians (which is pretty overt) and small business (which manifests itself in policies they espouse).  I pray that we are, despite all that has transpired, taken steps to putting race and ethnicity aside to develop a politics based on what is best for the whole and for individuals and their families all around.  Donald Trump's Presidency brought this about.  This cannot be easily explained away and trivialized.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2020, 10:32:06 AM »

I'm not going to respond to the unhinged paranoia of the previous post, but instead return to the unhinged bitterness of the OP ...

A historical note that might be useful to bring up here: If the Dems do end up short in the Senate, Biden will be in good company as a President who didn't have Congress controlled by his own party.

Just since WWII, Nixon, Reagan, Bush I, and Bush II (6 months after the fact) each were elected without their party controlling the House, the Senate, or both. Despite that, in each of their first two years in office these Presidents notched up some pretty impressive domestic and foreign policy achievements: OSHA, SALT I, tax reform, defense build up, Americans with Disabilities Act, oversight of the peaceful transition out of Communism in Eastern Europe, No Child Left Behind, the initial response to the September 11 terrorist attacks.

Put another way: if you're counting on Dems not having the Senate as a guarantee there will be no policy accomplishments by Biden that you will hate, you are going to end up *very* unhappy over the next two years.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2020, 01:07:44 PM »

I accept neither.

Herbert Hoover?

Donald Trump adapted to the times he was elected in excellently.  He resisted the ideas that had gained momentum in our society (Free Trade, interventionism) that were bad for our country.  He put forth a balanced response to COVID-19 that will be vindicated by history.  He stood for law and order at a time when his opponents were the ones actually "fanning the flames", encouraging BLM and Antifa criminality. 

Donald Trump accomplished record unemployment, a successful foreign policy (whose story seems to never be told) and he did it in the face of irrational opposition.  He allowed his persona to become the issue; that was his flaw, and that may have cost him a close election.  But in terms of policy, statecraft, and accomplishment, there was far more positive than negative.

https://tennesseestar.com/2020/11/03/victor-davis-hanson-commentary-donald-trump-counterrevolutionary/

Until Donald Trump’s arrival, the globalist revolution was almost solidified and institutionalized – with the United States increasingly its greatest and most “woke” advocate. We know its bipartisan establishment contours.

Until Trump’s arrival, Big Tech was three-quarters home on the road to Nineteen Eighty-Four. Five or six companies monopolized most American – and indeed the world’s – access and use of the internet. In cynical fashion, Silicon Valley grandees patronized naïve conservatives that they were the supposed embodiment of Milton Friedman libertarianism and 19th century robber baron daring. Yet to their leftist kindred, the moguls of Menlo Park simultaneously whispered, “Don’t worry about such necessary disinformation: we will enrich only your candidates, only your agendas, only your foundations, only your universities – in exchange for your exemptions.”

Until Trump’s arrival, there was increasingly no border at all. Fifty-million foreign-born resided, both legally and illegally, in the United States. Nearly a million annually walked northward across the border with ease and without legal sanction or invitation. To object to illegal immigration and decry its deleterious effects on the entry-level wages of our working poor, on the social safety net of the American needy, and on the sanctity of the law was to be smeared as racist, xenophobic, and nativist.

Until Trump, the American interior was loser country. In-between the two gilded coasts resided the deplorables, irredeemables, clingers, the smelly Walmart patrons decried in the Page-Strzok text echanges, those John McCain called “crazies,” and Joe Biden has variously called the “dregs,” the “chumps” and the “ugly folks.” They were written off as Morlocks, who were occasionally seen poking about the rotting, rusting skeletons of abandoned steel plants, and for some reason never had proper orthodontics as children.

The success of civil rights was not to be calibrated by black unemployment figures, household income, family businesses, dignity in having leverage over employers, access to competitive parochial and charter schools, or descending abortion rates, but in electing more activists as progressive mayors, liberal city councilmembers, and leftist district attorneys to garner more redistributive state money to hire more careerists like themselves.

Trump, branded a bigot and racist, for now has sought to end that revolution, and measure race relations not by how many minority elites have choice jobs and high incomes, but by how well the entire minority community reaches income and employment parity with the general population—an idea that will earn the “racist” Trump far greater minority support than was expressed for John McCain and Mitt Romney.

And Trump has stood firm against our Cultural Revolution, regardless of the odds.

Against all that money and clout, the counterrevolutionary Trump had only one asset, the proverbial people. He had solely the under-polled and the written-off. They came out to his rallies in the tens of thousands, deluded the pollsters, and told the media less than nothing, but voted and will vote in waves to save America from what it was becoming.

Donald Trump has more solid accomplishments against the most unreasoning opposition than any President in my lifetime, period.  Whether you like his accomplishments is another question.  I do like his accomplishments, and I like even more his resolve in standing against the enemies of our Constitutional Republic.  In many other eras, Trump would have been an unremarkable and mediocre President, but for THIS time, he was downright heroic.  He was, for many of us, a Godsend, in that he stood for OUR American Jobs, OUR Religious Freedom, when others undermined them, presented us with platitudes, and, when these failed to mollify us, called us names and told us to shut up and comply with their dictates.

And, as the cherry on the top of the Ice Cream Sundae, he did it while literally DOUBLING his share of the Black vote and significantly increasing the Republican share of the Hispanic Vote. 

How did THAT happen?  It happened because Donald Trump (A) is, actually, not a racist who (B) actually believes that Black and Hispanic folks are motivated by many of the same things the rest of us are:

Trump actually asked Blacks and Hispanics for their votes and appealed to them on the basis of self-interest.  Then he delivered on his promises in terms of producing greater prosperity for them.  In addition, he actually provided meaningful redress to issues relevant to these constituencies.  Criminal Justice reform, financial aid to HBCUs, are real concerns for these folks, and Trump did something constructive.  Blacks and Hispanics are not different from other folks; they reward people who deliver for them, and elected officials are rewarded with votes. 

I consider this a tremendous development, not just because it debunks the canard that Donald Trump is a "racist", but because it is a direct hit to the corrosive Identity Politics that has utterly poisoned our nation.  Blacks and Hispanics have, in their numbers, a larger than average number of Biblical Christians and an above-average number of entrepreneurs running their own businesses.  These folks have got to have some degree of disconnect with today's Democratic Party and its hostility toward both Biblical Christians (which is pretty overt) and small business (which manifests itself in policies they espouse).  I pray that we are, despite all that has transpired, taken steps to putting race and ethnicity aside to develop a politics based on what is best for the whole and for individuals and their families all around.  Donald Trump's Presidency brought this about.  This cannot be easily explained away and trivialized.

Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: November 08, 2020, 01:13:33 PM »

I think Trump shook up politics as usual and evidently that's what we needed back in 2016, and he did a good job of it.

But my question is, why did he then and does he now have to act like such an atrocious human being? He turns people's stomachs utterly and completely. Nobody likes to be belittled, bullied, intimidated, conned, lied to....I guess those are the qualities needed for someone to shake up Washington like he did.

Oh well, thank God it's over. We all need to calm down.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2020, 01:57:51 PM »

I accept neither.

Herbert Hoover?

Such an Effort Post, lol.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2020, 02:02:07 PM »

I accept neither.

Herbert Hoover?

It is so easy to summarize your Long-Winded, Gibberish Posts.
Why waste much time responding to them.
By the way, your promise to "I can live with a Biden Presidency, but others cannot live with a trump presidency" is showing.
Smiley
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2020, 02:02:53 PM »

Don't Rs realize that Hillary was a first lady and she wasn't a politician, that's why she lost, Obama, Biden and Harris and Kaine were career politicians.

Hillary only became NY Senator, she ran against Rick Lazio, not Rudy Guilliani whom dropped out at last minute due to cancer which was curable.

I think this is the reason why Rs think they should have the WH, they think Biden was just as weak at Hillary, but he wasn't

They still lost the PVI to Hillary eventhough she was a weak candidate
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2020, 02:14:53 PM »

I accept neither.

Herbert Hoover?

It is so easy to summarize your Long-Winded, Gibberish Posts.
Why waste much time responding to them.
By the way, your promise to "I can live with a Biden Presidency, but others cannot live with a trump presidency" is showing.
Smiley

Let it show.  It's a fact.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2020, 04:24:27 PM »

We've already lived with a Trump presidency and we know what it's like.

You don't know what a Biden presidency will be like. (But you sure as hell won't see any bullying, intimidating, conning, belittling from Biden so you are lucky.)

We have one up on you.
Leroy McPherson fan
Leroymcphersonfan
United States

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2021, 11:06:57 PM »

He's going to be a lameduck from day one, he's not going get his prefered cabinet picks, he's not going to get anything done with a narrow house majority and a 52-48 R majority in the senate, no court packings, no DC/PR Statehood. The Supreme Court is 6-3 conservative, they're going to dismantle the ACA, also the Democrats are going to get slaughtered in 2022/off-year elections.

The Democratic party is also going go in a state of civil war with radical leftists in the one side, and centrists on the other, now that Trump is not POTUS anymore/for now.

Then 2024 happens where Rs will have a favorable map for the senate, starting out with 3 automatic pickups (OH, MT, WV) and more toss-up races for pickings, possibly putting Rs with a 60 seat majority.

Enjoy it while it lasts!
This take aged surprisingly well. Biden hasn’t done anything and Dems are deadlocked. So long to the “coalition of the ascendant” which will “fundamentally transform” the nation!

Well, he did say “nothing will fundamentally change”
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies