Arizona megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:39:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Arizona megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 52
Author Topic: Arizona megathread  (Read 67148 times)
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: September 19, 2022, 01:07:47 PM »

Another step on the long road to a sixth place finish in Iowa
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #401 on: September 19, 2022, 06:05:15 PM »

Maybe this will be what it takes for Virginians to finally accept that Youngkin duped them by portraying himself as being "reasonable." He doesn't have to associate himself with an election denier like Lake, but he is doing it anyway. I hate him so much.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #402 on: September 19, 2022, 06:06:38 PM »

Older Republican and Independent Voters disapprove of Bidens Student Loan Forgiveness Package new AZ Poll shows
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #403 on: September 19, 2022, 06:14:53 PM »

I mean, it's still a net positive in that poll overall, at 50/46, and Independents are even higher, 52/42. Even gets 24% of Republicans.

You're likely to find 55+ everywhere probably disapproving, because most of them either don't understand or don't agree because they don't understand.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #404 on: September 19, 2022, 06:20:35 PM »

I mean, it's still a net positive in that poll overall, at 50/46, and Independents are even higher, 52/42. Even gets 24% of Republicans.

You're likely to find 55+ everywhere probably disapproving, because most of them either don't understand or don't agree because they don't understand.
Nice spin try but according to Exit Polls in AZ 2018 (The Last Midterm) 66 % of the Electorate was 45+,
and 29 % were 65+
https://edition.cnn.com/election/2018/exit-polls/arizona/senate
You will have an "Alamo" with Hobbs come November. Lake has now more than an even chance to win this after being left for dead after the Primary. Hobbs refusing to debate Lake won't help her.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #405 on: September 19, 2022, 06:25:17 PM »

2016: just keep telling yourself that student loan relief will cost the Democrats in November.  You won't convince any of the rest of us, but if it makes you feel better then have at it.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #406 on: September 20, 2022, 10:06:07 AM »

Anyone want to defend this?  Anyone?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #407 on: September 20, 2022, 10:46:10 AM »

You will have an "Alamo" with Hobbs come November. Lake has now more than an even chance to win this after being left for dead after the Primary. Hobbs refusing to debate Lake won't help her.
This is revisionist history ofc (Lake v Hobbs really hasn’t budged much since August and I’d argue most people recognized this race was a toss up back then), but the Alamo comment does catch my eye. The Texans lost the Battle of the Alamo, yes, but they ultimately won their independence in the end.
kwabbit

« Reply #408 on: September 21, 2022, 09:00:14 PM »

Finchem is up 5 points in the OH Predictive poll  Surprise. I imagine the Lake vs. Hobbs number is embargoed until tomorrow but it seems like non-federal GOP candidates are being given a benefit of the doubt that Masters isn't.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #409 on: September 21, 2022, 09:01:43 PM »

Finchem is up 5 points in the OH Predictive poll  Surprise. I imagine the Lake vs. Hobbs number is embargoed until tomorrow but it seems like non-federal GOP candidates are being given a benefit of the doubt that Masters isn't.
Lack of attention and low name rec = GOP advantage (at least for the moment, anyway)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #410 on: September 21, 2022, 09:02:30 PM »

Awful! I guess this is a state Democrats need to write off. Let's be glad that Kelly at least looks favored to win. We're getting something out of this dystopian state at least.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #411 on: September 21, 2022, 09:23:54 PM »

Finchem is up 5 points in the OH Predictive poll  Surprise. I imagine the Lake vs. Hobbs number is embargoed until tomorrow but it seems like non-federal GOP candidates are being given a benefit of the doubt that Masters isn't.

Awful! I guess this is a state Democrats need to write off. Let's be glad that Kelly at least looks favored to win. We're getting something out of this dystopian state at least.

Notice though how there seems to be more undecides in every poll for Gov, SOS, and AG when compared to Senate. This makes me think the actual overperformance of these downballot Rs is much smaller than polls suggest
Leading Political Consultant Ma Anand Sheela
Heat

« Reply #412 on: September 22, 2022, 10:19:04 AM »
« Edited: September 22, 2022, 10:25:38 AM by The Thinking Man's Orangewoman »

Not sure how seriously to take this yet, but I'm starting to develop a theory that Lake may turn out to have an advantage relative to other Rs just because, as Trump or Mark Ronchetti have shown recently, being portrayed as an authoritative figure on television for years and years before entering politics can in fact be a boon to your credibility as a candidate. (and, by extension, that the narrative is more negative about Hobbs as a candidate than it necessarily should be)
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #413 on: September 22, 2022, 12:33:25 PM »

Huh?
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #414 on: September 22, 2022, 01:47:00 PM »

Not sure how seriously to take this yet, but I'm starting to develop a theory that Lake may turn out to have an advantage relative to other Rs just because, as Trump or Mark Ronchetti have shown recently, being portrayed as an authoritative figure on television for years and years before entering politics can in fact be a boon to your credibility as a candidate. (and, by extension, that the narrative is more negative about Hobbs as a candidate than it necessarily should be)

This is a very solid theory with decades of evidence to back it up.

Two other examples I can think of are State Senators Dick LaRossa and Diane Allen in New Jersey. LaRossa hosted the televised nightly lottery drawing, Allen was an Emmy-winning newscaster, and both were Republicans who won strongly Democratic constituencies multiple times. I've heard from multiple Arizonans who say that Lake is best known for her pre-political activity, and average Arizonans like her.

It's a combination of long-term credibility with the average voter and short-term ability to conduct oneself confidently in front of a camera.
xavier110
United States
« Reply #415 on: September 22, 2022, 03:36:33 PM »

Yes. It’s a bit of both. The contrast makes Hobbs look like a void of charisma, which wouldn’t really be the case if she were facing Robson, for example.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #416 on: September 22, 2022, 05:36:16 PM »

Finchem is up 5 points in the OH Predictive poll  Surprise. I imagine the Lake vs. Hobbs number is embargoed until tomorrow but it seems like non-federal GOP candidates are being given a benefit of the doubt that Masters isn't.

Notice though how there seems to be more undecides in every poll for Gov, SOS, and AG when compared to Senate. This makes me think the actual overperformance of these downballot Rs is much smaller than polls suggest

I hope you're right. And maybe Finchem's recent comments about not certifying a Biden win will finally make some Arizona voters hesitant to vote for him. Seriously, he is basically saying if elected he won't even do his job.
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #417 on: September 23, 2022, 12:57:16 AM »

I think it also confirms the theory that "Most Insane=/=Most un-Electable". It of course can (Mastriano, etc) but those candidates have their own problems along with it.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #418 on: September 23, 2022, 08:29:37 AM »

I think it also confirms the theory that "Most Insane=/=Most un-Electable". It of course can (Mastriano, etc) but those candidates have their own problems along with it.

Most "insane" candidates live and operate in echo chambers with no self-awareness or handlers around them pushing them in better strategic directions. Lake notably does not do this, and her long pre-political career (in media no less) is likely a key reason.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #419 on: September 23, 2022, 06:41:09 PM »

I believe the law allows abortions only to save the life of the mother, no rape or incest exceptions (although I'm not 100% certain of this).
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #420 on: September 23, 2022, 06:43:34 PM »

I believe the law allows abortions only to save the life of the mother, no rape or incest exceptions (although I'm not 100% certain of this).

Take it and run with it, Hobbs! Now's her chance to put Lake on the defense more.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #421 on: September 23, 2022, 06:49:01 PM »

The crazy thing is that was during the Civil War and there was a rival confederate Arizona territory with different boundaries.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #422 on: September 23, 2022, 07:08:52 PM »

Likely a decent boost for Hobbs, could boost this from Tilt R to Tilt D
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #423 on: September 23, 2022, 07:35:42 PM »

Hobbs needs to go full throttle with this and hit Lake on every front.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #424 on: September 23, 2022, 07:57:11 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 52  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies