Arizona megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:34:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Arizona megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 52
Author Topic: Arizona megathread  (Read 69496 times)
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: September 23, 2022, 09:09:12 PM »

Looks like Hobbs' team was ready for this

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #426 on: September 24, 2022, 07:10:03 AM »
« Edited: September 24, 2022, 08:17:23 AM by Person Man »

If Lake and Masters still win after this, who knows what they will do next. Banning homosexual relationships is about as popular as what they now just pushed through.
AZdude
Rookie
« Reply #427 on: September 24, 2022, 08:59:53 AM »

Unsurprisingly, the abortion ruling is HUGE news here now.  This could really be a turning point, at least hopefully.  I think people weren't really thinking about it before because AZ was in a somewhat unclear position regarding abortion law.

Now I bet Hobbs wishes she had agreed to the debate.  But even so, she needs to really start hitting hard on this as other posters have said.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #428 on: September 24, 2022, 09:34:13 AM »

Hobbs is gonna win easily
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #429 on: September 24, 2022, 02:00:23 PM »

In the hindsight, I feel like I have been bit more harsher on Hobbs as a candidate..she probably isn't a great candidate but certainly not terrible. Her favourables look good in most of the Arizona polls I have seen so far. I just wish she would have accepted to debate.

At the end of day, Arizona is still like 3-5 points to right of the country and this was always going to be an extremely tight race. Kelly's lead in the polls is probably more due to him being incumbent and Masters lacking money and being a poor candidate.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #430 on: September 24, 2022, 05:51:56 PM »

Looks like Hobbs' team was ready for this

This is a very shrewd way to tie abortion access to other issues. I commend Hobbs for this. This could be very effective in even getting more ambivalent voters to care about how the court decision affects everything.

I always say that reproductive rights transcends just being about a woman's autonomy it can affect many other aspects of society from crime to economics, and making those connections clear only makes the Democratic case for abortion rights more effective.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #431 on: September 24, 2022, 07:43:10 PM »

In the hindsight, I feel like I have been bit more harsher on Hobbs as a candidate..she probably isn't a great candidate but certainly not terrible. Her favourables look good in most of the Arizona polls I have seen so far. I just wish she would have accepted to debate.

At the end of day, Arizona is still like 3-5 points to right of the country and this was always going to be an extremely tight race. Kelly's lead in the polls is probably more due to him being incumbent and Masters lacking money and being a poor candidate.

Agreeing to debate someone who appears on TV for a living is very risky when you don't also have that background.
prag_prog
United States

« Reply #432 on: September 24, 2022, 07:51:48 PM »

Agreeing to debate someone who appears on TV for a living is very risky when you don't also have that background.
I don't have much data on how much debates impact voters minds but I feel like not participating in debate is bad optics.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #433 on: September 24, 2022, 08:36:16 PM »

Part of a long thread with much more from Liz Cheney, well worth reading.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #434 on: September 24, 2022, 09:07:01 PM »

As I recall, you a former Republican. Is that right? Liz Cheney seems to be having the same evolution in thought that you and other former Republicans on here have had.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #435 on: September 24, 2022, 09:25:50 PM »

As I recall, you a former Republican. Is that right? Liz Cheney seems to be having the same evolution in thought that you and other former Republicans on here have had.

Yes.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #436 on: September 25, 2022, 07:59:49 AM »

Huh, I wonder if Hobbs and Cheney would end up appearing together. Hobbs is pretty inoffensive to someone like Cheney in terms of partisanship, so that could be really interesting.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #437 on: September 25, 2022, 09:20:49 AM »

Pleased to learn Liz Cheney is an actual moron rather than just playing one for the cameras. This bodes well for my nation’s future, and indeed for the future of all nations.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #438 on: September 25, 2022, 09:34:11 AM »

Huh, I wonder if Hobbs and Cheney would end up appearing together. Hobbs is pretty inoffensive to someone like Cheney in terms of partisanship, so that could be really interesting.

I would advise against touting Cheney’s support, since that probably won’t earn the Democrats a significant amount of votes (remember that John Kasich’s support of Biden in 2020 wasn’t anywhere near enough to deliver Ohio to Biden).
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #439 on: September 25, 2022, 09:40:25 AM »

I would advise against touting Cheney’s support, since that probably won’t earn the Democrats a significant amount of votes (remember that John Kasich’s support of Biden in 2020 wasn’t anywhere near enough to deliver Ohio to Biden).

I mean, I don't think it would hurt though? I feel like it's definitely something that can help bolster with Independents, possibly. I wouldn't say it's that impactful to "delivering" anything for Hobbs, but I still think it could be a net positive.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #440 on: September 25, 2022, 09:58:38 AM »

So out of touch it hurts.

xavier110
United States
« Reply #441 on: September 25, 2022, 12:10:21 PM »

If the D ticket does well and Hobbs pulls it off, the AZ Dems can point back to this abortion ruling as an inflection point. Really changed the tenor of the campaign with just like two weeks until voting begins here.
Real Texan Politics
EEllis02
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -1.57

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #442 on: September 25, 2022, 01:59:09 PM »

So Cheney endorsed Hobbs? Not surprising.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #443 on: September 25, 2022, 02:22:18 PM »

Based move by Cheney.

There's a lot criticize her for, especially her hawkish stances, though you got to give her credit for making the right call here.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #444 on: September 25, 2022, 02:52:31 PM »

Based move by Cheney.

There's a lot criticize her for, especially her hawkish stances, though you got to give her credit for making the right call here.

If this is where she is going, she should be the next President.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #445 on: September 25, 2022, 03:09:53 PM »

Based move by Cheney.

If this is where she is going, she should be the next President.

I'd prefer someone like Newsom or Whitmer to succeed Biden in 2029 Tongue
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #446 on: September 25, 2022, 05:19:18 PM »

I really appreciate that Cheney has her priorities straight and is consistent in putting country over party, but I don't think she'll be of much help to Democrats in Arizona. Maybe a Rusty Bowers or Cindy McCain would be better assists if they campaigned for Democrats.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #447 on: September 25, 2022, 11:30:00 PM »

One of the few races where a Cheney endorsement might actually make the difference (aka Romney-Biden voters who are desperate for a 'return to normalcy' who may be tricked by Lake).
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #448 on: September 25, 2022, 11:50:15 PM »

If Cheney would be willing to do it, running a Cheney ad in places like Mesa and Sun City would be really smart. Not only do these areas have good number of ticket splitters who fall into the Romney-Biden bucket, but they also skew much older in terms of median age and hence may be more likely to recognize Cheney and understand why it's a powerful endorsement.

Again, this isn't some huge game changer but in a close race changing 1000 voters around the fringes can really matter.
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #449 on: September 26, 2022, 12:40:08 PM »

Hobbs HAS to do an ad with Cheney. HAS to.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 52  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies