Arizona megathread

(1/260) > >>

wesmoorenerd:
Is it too early to start thinking about 2022 gubernatorial races, seeing as the presidential race hasn't been called yet? Don't be ridiculous, of course it's not!

Doug Ducey is term-limited, although, having completely botched his state's COVID response, he may be more of a liability than an asset this point anyway. The R bench is looking pretty sparse here: the House delegation is full of Freedom Caucus wingnuts with far-right ties and ethics problems, and their most recent statewide primary featured a now two-time loser, a chemtrail conspiracy nut, and Joe Arpaio, whose disgusting barbarism I can't do justice with merely a short description. Fortunately for the Rs, they do have two credible statewide officeholders in AG Mark Brnovich and Treasurer Kimberly Yee, the former of whom is term-limited and likely looking for a promotion.

On the Dem side, there are probably a few more options. Greg Stanton in particular is known to have his eyes on the Governor's Mansion, and SOS Katie Hobbs would be a formidable candidate as well, though she'd likely prefer to hold down her current post.

So, thoughts on these primaries and on the likely outcome of the general election? Alongside MD and GA, this seems like one of the few real offensive targets Dems have in the 2022 gubernatorials.

Hope For A New Era:
Well, this is two years off, and the direction Arizona is going is not nearly as clear as the direction Georgia is going. I imagine an interesting strategy for a Democrat here might be to mostly ignore the opponent and basically campaign against Ducey and his many failures.

tosk:
dems should absolutely be targeting this race. Probably favors republicans, but youre right that the bench is weak. I imagine Yee and Brnovich pick between senate and gov so they dont handicap the party.

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.:
I’d rate it a tossup with the best democrat being Katie Hobbs

MargieCat:
As a democrat, I hope McSally runs. But that will never happen.

There are several options for republicans. Like Biggs, Gosar, or Lesko. There is also talk about Kimberly Yee, the state treasurer.

For democrats, I think it will be either Katie Hobbs or Greg Stanton. I also like Ruben Gallego but I have no idea if he is interested in the job.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page